Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

― Scapes CritiqueArden Vale Road in the Flinders Ranges, South Australia.

Landscapes, cityscapes, skyscapes, seascapes, starscapes, panoramas
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Arden Vale Road in the Flinders Ranges, South Australia.

Post by Duck »

Onslow wrote:... BTW, I wasn't going to push the cattle out of the way. I also tend not to add or delete things from my images. I think if I do that it then becomes a composite and that isn't what I am after in my landscapes...

I can respect that. I'll leave it as is then.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Facebook : Unitas Photography
Instagram : @unitasphotography
Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Onslow »

Duck wrote:
Onslow wrote:... BTW, I wasn't going to push the cattle out of the way. I also tend not to add or delete things from my images. I think if I do that it then becomes a composite and that isn't what I am after in my landscapes...

I can respect that. I'll leave it as is then.

Please feel free to present your version Duck. It's always interesting to see other takes on subjects... :)

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck »

Here is my take, John;
Edited by Duck
Edited by Duck

Here is a list of the edits I made;
  • Exposure gradient at bottom to darken lower part of frame.
  • Cloned out half hidden cow.
  • Dodged road back in to brighten it and around the black cow.
  • Spot burned edges of road and bright areas of ground.
  • Added saturation to the vegetation darkened by previous effects.
  • Brightened top of mountain to push it back into the background.

Thanks for letting me play ;)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Facebook : Unitas Photography
Instagram : @unitasphotography
Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M »

Onslow wrote:A few months ago I took a trip to Quorn in the Flinders Ranges, South Australia. In the early pre dawn I saw this site. Watching the cattle intrigued me. With a calm clear day promised with no clouds, I was a bit worried. However, the day ended up terrific for exploring the region.

While I've never been to the bush I wonder if cropping the right tree might give the image more impact.

Thank you for sharing! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Ceropegia »

Onslow wrote: I can't comment on your perception of colour etc as I have no idea of your monitor or calibration. Colour, pop, etc etc I have found is an area that is hard to gauge in an sRGB browser with monitor calibrations, monitor qualitiy and ambient viewing conditions varying so widely..

So true, I often wonder how my images look on other monitors. I know they look different on my laptop.

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Onslow »

Ceropegia wrote:
Onslow wrote: I can't comment on your perception of colour etc as I have no idea of your monitor or calibration. Colour, pop, etc etc I have found is an area that is hard to gauge in an sRGB browser with monitor calibrations, monitor qualitiy and ambient viewing conditions varying so widely..

So true, I often wonder how my images look on other monitors. I know they look different on my laptop.

This is an area I don't like wandering into online with people I don't know. I have highend Nec and Eizo monitors. The Nec I use as representative of browsing so I keep it in sRGB uncalibrated. That gives me an idea of how it can look. My CG277 Eizo is calibrated to 90cd/m2 and native gamut. I edit in this space. It is equal to essentially 100% aRGB. I switch on my Eizo instantly to calibrated sRGB so that I can see how it converts to sRGB for the web. I have colour matched prints from my Epson 7800 and 3880 to the monitors under controlled lighting. My print profiles were made with my Xrite i1Pro2 calibrator.
So, I see what I see, others see what they see on their display. I do know however that at our camera group, when I have seen the equipment people use to get the images and then they bring their images onto my gear for me to print, they normally comment how the colours on my system look different to their own lowend computer/laptop.