Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

― Scapes CritiqueArden Vale Road in the Flinders Ranges, South Australia.

Landscapes, cityscapes, skyscapes, seascapes, starscapes, panoramas
Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Arden Vale Road in the Flinders Ranges, South Australia.

Post by Onslow »

A few months ago I took a trip to Quorn in the Flinders Ranges, South Australia. In the early pre dawn I saw this site. Watching the cattle intrigued me. With a calm clear day promised with no clouds, I was a bit worried. However, the day ended up terrific for exploring the region..

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by LindaShorey »

Nicely balanced with the weight of the red hill offset by the trees and road. I get a strong sense of place: hot, dry, harsh. My eye travels down the road, but stops at the trees. It's an interesting dilemma: I'm curious about what's beyond the turn, but not sure I want to leave the (relative) safety of the green for the imposing desert beyond.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Onslow »

Thank you Linda. The curve of the track is what had initially attracted me with the cattle roaming in that area. As the sun started rising though in the predawn, it was fascinating watching the colours of the hill change....

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie »

Onslow, I've looked and looked at this photo. It's well composed from a good perspective but just has very little impact...I guess the color just didn't transfer through, I can imagine what what you saw but don't feel it from the image.

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Onslow »

Psjunkie wrote:Onslow, I've looked and looked at this photo. It's well composed from a good perspective but just has very little impact...I guess the color just didn't transfer through, I can imagine what what you saw but don't feel it from the image.

Cheers for that...

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie »

While I'm not fluent in Whyalla, I'll take that as an understood.

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Onslow »

Psjunkie wrote:While I'm not fluent in Whyalla, I'll take that as an understood.

What that means is thanks for looking. I can't comment on your perception of colour etc as I have no idea of your monitor or calibration. Colour, pop, etc etc I have found is an area that is hard to gauge in an sRGB browser with monitor calibrations, monitor qualitiy and ambient viewing conditions varying so widely..

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie »

Got it.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck »

Onslow wrote:
Psjunkie wrote:While I'm not fluent in Whyalla, I'll take that as an understood.

What that means is thanks for looking. I can't comment on your perception of colour etc as I have no idea of your monitor or calibration. Colour, pop, etc etc I have found is an area that is hard to gauge in an sRGB browser with monitor calibrations, monitor qualitiy and ambient viewing conditions varying so widely..

I have to agree with Onslow here as the colors on my screen really come through. Not is an oversaturated manner but you can definitely see the red of the mountain, the green of the vegetation and the blue of the sky. I will, however, agree that there is no really strong subject matter to capture the eye. Perhaps if the second cow was not half hidden in the brush (or even just a single cow) then it may have more impact. That and some creative dodge and burn to pull the eye in.

I can give it a quick edit to show you what I mean if you like.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Facebook : Unitas Photography
Instagram : @unitasphotography
Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Onslow »

Duck wrote:
Onslow wrote:

I have to agree with Onslow here as the colors on my screen really come through. Not is an oversaturated manner but you can definitely see the red of the mountain, the green of the vegetation and the blue of the sky. I will, however, agree that there is no really strong subject matter to capture the eye. Perhaps if the second cow was not half hidden in the brush (or even just a single cow) then it may have more impact. That and some creative dodge and burn to pull the eye in.

I can give it a quick edit to show you what I mean if you like.

Go to it... BTW, I wasn't goping to push the cattle out of the way. I also tend not to add or delete things from my images. I think if I do that it then becomes a composite and that isn't what I am after in my landscapes...