"You Are The Difference!"

― Scapes CritiqueThe Maroon Bells trail head

Post Reply
User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Posts: 4101
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

The Maroon Bells trail head

Post by minniev » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:48 pm

A lot of the trails were closed when we were there because the first snow, which was 6-8 inches and quickly turned to ice in places, had made them too treacherous for average folks like me who didn't have crampons on their boots. They opened this one up around noon, and this is where it started. The viewpoint was shown to me by a 5 year old girl who declared it the perfect spot for a picnic and shared her cookies with me. All suggestions or edits welcome
Attachments
noon (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1940
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:49 pm

smart girl, well composed image minniev....

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Posts: 4101
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:36 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:49 pm
smart girl, well composed image minniev....
Thank ya Frank. I'm sure it would have been better with great light and a dramatic sky. Maybe i'll try to fix that!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Posts: 564
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:29 am
Location: Sydney,Australia
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by pop511 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:08 pm

What ruins many a panoramic scene is where you do not have a foreground/middle and distant elements. With this photo you have it all.
" I'm sure it would have been better with great light and a dramatic sky. Maybe i'll try to fix that!"..How can you improve on what nature gives you?
Have fun;
ed davis

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Posts: 4101
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:21 pm

pop511 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:08 pm
What ruins many a panoramic scene is where you do not have a foreground/middle and distant elements. With this photo you have it all.
" I'm sure it would have been better with great light and a dramatic sky. Maybe i'll try to fix that!"..How can you improve on what nature gives you?
Have fun;
I was glad to find all 3 elements! I usually have to settle for 2 or worse yet, only 1. Having layers of stuff to move the eye through the scene is fun, and I don’t find that often in the flat land where I live, so Rocky Mts are fun to visit!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Posts: 564
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:29 am
Location: Sydney,Australia
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by pop511 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:51 am

Minnie;
"Having layers of stuff to move the eye through the scene is fun"
You are right. Holds your interest, and from where you took the picture my eyes went in a straight line from the foreground to the distant hills.
Where would I digress.An element that is not found in nature. My thoughts only, so jump in if you disagree.
Beach scene, nothing there boring!! but ad a human figure. That then becomes your dominant element. Everything else is built around it.
I remember living in WI. There was a farm building with trees behind and an open grassed field in front. Didn't have a camera with me, but I could visualise the building on the right hand third line and placed on centre line

Exceptions..Always found..Large rock off shore with birds milling around. ad infinitum.
Have fun;
ed davis

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Posts: 4101
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:00 am

pop511 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:51 am
Minnie;
"Having layers of stuff to move the eye through the scene is fun"
You are right. Holds your interest, and from where you took the picture my eyes went in a straight line from the foreground to the distant hills.
Where would I digress.An element that is not found in nature. My thoughts only, so jump in if you disagree.
Beach scene, nothing there boring!! but ad a human figure. That then becomes your dominant element. Everything else is built around it.
I remember living in WI. There was a farm building with trees behind and an open grassed field in front. Didn't have a camera with me, but I could visualise the building on the right hand third line and placed on centre line

Exceptions..Always found..Large rock off shore with birds milling around. ad infinitum.
Have fun;
One thing that keeps me going back to the dam for more shots is the interplay between three elements - birds, water and geometric structure. If all 3 are working well, there is infinite variety even in such a small restricted place. With good light there is another element involved. If it gets down to 2 elements, as it usually is this time of year, it's less interesting.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Posts: 564
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:29 am
Location: Sydney,Australia
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by pop511 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:11 am

Yes I know you like the dam, just don't get your feet wet...hehe
ed davis

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests