Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:49 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:15 am
any comments welcomed.....
I’m curious - Did you turn daylight to night? Or was it this dark when you shot it? Or darker? I like it. The lights and the colors and detail in the fruit and vegetables are a very nice touch and well managed.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:11 pm

kinda knew you'd spot it right off so didn't feel the need to say anything up front...I'da come clean in the end as I knew i could't sell it to anyone here.....broad daylight...thanks minniev.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:05 pm

mmm... so I have learned (from looking at this) that to sell it, the color needs to go. Perhaps by desaturation.. I am thinking the less light, the more grey and the color mostly would be limited to areas where the object is hit by direct light. And also light falloff - where colors and things overall are brighter close to the light.. just thinking out loud.
Frank.jpg
my shot a doing what I verbalized. We might have to ask Dave for more on this one!

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:05 pm

well I am learning also Piet, and while I agree about the fall off I don't feel color is necessarily lost at night, at least where there is some light....maybe I should desaturate the bus a bit more but it may be going under a street light....your take has portrayed this about 45 minutes later than when I was there so I ran back an grabbed another shot although dusk had disappeared.....would love your thoughts on my thoughts....you are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the dark side (well not JUST the dark side)
Attachments
20181002FGS_5424-Awning2.jpg

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:56 am

I think the awning and the wood around it would be very bright (at least the surfaces that the light is hitting) . Light sources I think would be Very bright, even blown out bright (including the centers of the yellow lights perhaps). I am thinking the objects on the table would have a very high contrast and would have color but perhaps less than you depicted.

I agree that anything in strong light would get color, but it might be that depending on the light source it is a cool color or a warm color cast to it. And the lit surfaces would be fewer (only those directly being hit) and the unlit surfaces would be darker and without color (tedious to apply).

I like the people dark and shadowy, but am thinking that the street itself is somewhat lit by the cars' headlights, so perhaps there could be a glow behind the people where the road is.. Atmosphere, dust, etc might be lit up in the headlights.

I think your bus is a fraction of a hair too yellow, but I like your bus better than my bus. Also, cars shine on each other, so perhaps some surfaces would have bright reflections on them (but not the entire car as it would be lit from the sky during the day. But your bus looks very much like it might If it were going under a streetlight.

The stuff on the table is too bright - ... perhaps half as bright would be better (actually, the little white flower might be as bright, but not the rest, and perhaps just the tops of the little white flowers (whatever part the light is hitting) - and they might have a warm cast to them (lit from the yellow lights. Actually, I think you have the flowers on the far table about right.

- But the awning Should be bright as it is.

the boxes behind the bike should be darker.

Anyway I agree with you about color, only lost if no light on it, and the less light the less color kind of thing.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:07 am

for the most part we concur...I appreciate you indulging me with your knowledge Piet......

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:29 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:07 am
for the most part we concur...I appreciate you indulging me with your knowledge Piet......
knowledge isn't quite the right word, but yeah... tough problem to solve.