"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

― Scapes CritiqueCome Sail Away

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Come Sail Away

Post by minniev » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:51 pm

This scene off the Duke Point Ferry at sunset, as we were leaving Nanaimo at the end of our trip reminded me of Daniel Gould's Come Sail Away. His is an incredible talent and story if you haven't run into it yet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJsiTpr9_7A

All suggestions appreciated. It is cropped more than I'd like, as I was stuck with just my wide angle lens, not realizing this ferry didn't allow you back to your vehicle during the crossing (dummy here, not that used to ferries).
Attachments
from the ferry (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:54 pm

Hmp. Didn't let you back to your car? I did not know that. Probably good I didn't because I was on a ferry once when my primary suddenly froze so I trotted down to the car deck and got my backup. That was a Long Island ferry and I don't think I saw any signs... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I like the picture very much and think you punted nicely with your wide angle, thinking outside the, um, lens...? Part of what makes the shot is the crimson spinnaker on the boat. The eye goes right to it! (Red Sails in the Sunset...) The composition is nicely balanced with the island and light. The only thing I wonder at all about is the color of the water; since the sky is golden, should not the water be reflecting that gold sky? If the color is as-was, even so I feel there is a slight dissonance between water and sky. I think had I made it I might try tinting the water more gold than blue, at least in the highlights. (Of course, we do stuff because we can... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:58 pm

A nice image minniev....maybe a bit more detail from the closest hillside

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:12 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:54 pm
Hmp. Didn't let you back to your car? I did not know that. Probably good I didn't because I was on a ferry once when my primary suddenly froze so I trotted down to the car deck and got my backup. That was a Long Island ferry and I don't think I saw any signs... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I like the picture very much and think you punted nicely with your wide angle, thinking outside the, um, lens...? Part of what makes the shot is the crimson spinnaker on the boat. The eye goes right to it! (Red Sails in the Sunset...) The composition is nicely balanced with the island and light. The only thing I wonder at all about is the color of the water; since the sky is golden, should not the water be reflecting that gold sky? If the color is as-was, even so I feel there is a slight dissonance between water and sky. I think had I made it I might try tinting the water more gold than blue, at least in the highlights. (Of course, we do stuff because we can... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )
The BC ferries are great, but some of them are enormous. They tell you to leave your car but then they lock the car deck till you are near the port.

Glad you like that red sail, that’s what reminded me of the song! The colors are about the same as in the raw file, I didn’t do much adjustment except for contrast and shadow/highlight stuff. But it should be easy enough to put a grad filter over the water to try and add a little extra gold. Maybe it doesn’t reflect as much because the water is such a deep rich blue? I dunno, we only have muddy brown water in MS, so I’m far from expert. Thanks for your ideas, they are helpful as usual!

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:13 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:58 pm
A nice image minniev....maybe a bit more detail from the closest hillside
Thank ya, Frank. I’ll look to see if there’s some there (lot of distance, and heavy crop may have robbed me of detail).

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:00 pm

minniev wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:51 pm
This scene off the Duke Point Ferry at sunset, as we were leaving Nanaimo at the end of our trip reminded me of Daniel Gould's Come Sail Away. His is an incredible talent and story if you haven't run into it yet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJsiTpr9_7A

All suggestions appreciated. It is cropped more than I'd like, as I was stuck with just my wide angle lens, not realizing this ferry didn't allow you back to your vehicle during the crossing (dummy here, not that used to ferries).
This brings back memories of riding that same ferry. Such a beautiful island! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"