“The only way you'll find out if you 'have it in you' is to get to work and see if you do.” —Cheryl Strayed

Critic's CornerBack light is Chuck Light

The scenery around us is a ready target for our cameras. Scenic sights, architectural marvels, tourist landmarks, beaches, cottages, nooks and crannies can all find a home here.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Back light is Chuck Light

Postby Matt Quinn » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:26 pm

Taken this morning; all SOOC except for cropping to 8x10. C&c welcome. Matt
Back light is Chuck light (1 of 3).jpg
Back light is Chuck light (2 of 3).jpg
Back light is Chuck light (3 of 3).jpg
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Re: Back light is Chuck Light

Postby Charles Haacker » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:27 am

I especially like the first one. For me it has the most interest. The trunks and branches are not distracting and the backlit colors are rich and glowing. The dominant trunks lead the eye up into the palette and also help to contain the eye within the frame. Blue sky and whipped-cream clouds complete the literal picture.

The second one does less for me. I don't care for the massive black trunk cleaving the frame like an ax blow. I'm certain you intended it as a leading line to the leaves, and the leaves are gorgeous, but I wonder if it would not be better if there were detail in the bark as opposed to a featureless black. You said these are SOOC. Are they jpegs? There might be shadow detail there that can be opened but it would be more likely if the original files were raw. Opening detail in the trunk I think would improve it. The colors are many and bright but it's almost two separate pictures owing to the slash of black up the center.

The third has lovely colors but seems somehow busy, unfocused (not literally but figuratively). The first two the subject is clearly the colorful leaves, and one would expect that in the third, but for me it misses the mark, possibly because of the tangle of branches and trunks that might function as leading lines except they lead off in many directions, tending to lead the eye out of the frame.
:thanks:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Matt Quinn » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:04 am

Charles Haacker wrote:I especially like the first one. For me it has the most interest. The trunks and branches are not distracting and the backlit colors are rich and glowing. The dominant trunks lead the eye up into the palette and also help to contain the eye within the frame. Blue sky and whipped-cream clouds complete the literal picture.

The second one does less for me. I don't care for the massive black trunk cleaving the frame like an ax blow. I'm certain you intended it as a leading line to the leaves, and the leaves are gorgeous, but I wonder if it would not be better if there were detail in the bark as opposed to a featureless black. You said these are SOOC. Are they jpegs? There might be shadow detail there that can be opened but it would be more likely if the original files were raw. Opening detail in the trunk I think would improve it. The colors are many and bright but it's almost two separate pictures owing to the slash of black up the center.

The third has lovely colors but seems somehow busy, unfocused (not literally but figuratively). The first two the subject is clearly the colorful leaves, and one would expect that in the third, but for me it misses the mark, possibly because of the tangle of branches and trunks that might function as leading lines except they lead off in many directions, tending to lead the eye out of the frame.
:thanks:

Went back to fiddle; here's some bark. Minimal pp in Lightroom. Matt

Chuck light 2 (1 of 2).jpg
Chuck light 2 (2 of 2).jpg
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby Charles Haacker » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:33 am

Ah! HUGE difference. I especially like the first, which emphasizes the brilliance of the glowing leaves and their wild variations of color. I like the trunk being off to one side, still leading the eye up to the glory but not intruding. The opening up of the bark is just right: I can see it's a tree trunk, which may sound silly but at first glance of the original I had to think about it. I like the second as well but I think the dead-center trunk draws attention to itself more than serving as a leading line. It still cleaves the picture leaving the eye wondering which side to look at. I think cropping to one side or the other is a better option. You could easily make two pictures in order to get both sets of leaves as they are different and both magnificent! (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Matt Quinn » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:59 am

Many thanks sir. Glad you liked them. Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:57 am

The rework is an amazing difference! I'm calling these Skittle Leaves! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Matt Quinn » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:23 am

St3v3M wrote:The rework is an amazing difference! I'm calling these Skittle Leaves! S-

Skittle? Not understanding. Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:29 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
St3v3M wrote:The rework is an amazing difference! I'm calling these Skittle Leaves! S-

Skittle? Not understanding. Matt

They look like Skittles! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Landscape & Scenics”