"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Critic's CornerAn Homage to Chuck's Torii

The scenery around us is a ready target for our cameras. Scenic sights, architectural marvels, tourist landmarks, beaches, cottages, nooks and crannies can all find a home here.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

An Homage to Chuck's Torii

Postby Matt Quinn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:39 am

I visited my happy place this morning -- Paines Creek Beach -- and, after some photos of water, sand and grass, and saw this behind me as I turned to go.
Chuck's Torii & End of Summer (1 of 1).jpg
I immediately thought of Chuck's photo of the Torii. The kayaks have been stored for the winter and some have been trucked away. I will keep checking to see whether the frame is ever completely empty and will shoot again.

Our younger son spent a year in Japan teaching English as a second language and made the pilgrimage to the top of Mt Fuji for the sunrise. I'll ask whether he has a photo and share it.

Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Psjunkie
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: An Homage to Chuck's Torii

Postby Psjunkie » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:18 am

Fabulous, one of your best I believe....no Idea what you had to work with but I wonder, those clouds are great and would like to have seen the first row of rocks gone and replaced with the same amount of clouds....wonderful as is though..just a great one Matt.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby Duck » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:17 am

Interesting. I don't see Chuck's torii so much as I do Golgotha.

Where's Freud? I wonder what he has to say about this.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus

Postby Matt Quinn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:25 pm

Psjunkie wrote:Fabulous, one of your best I believe....no Idea what you had to work with but I wonder, those clouds are great and would like to have seen the first row of rocks gone and replaced with the same amount of clouds....wonderful as is though..just a great one Matt.

Frank, Will this do?
Homage 2, 2 (1 of 1).jpg

Closer now to Duck's Golgotha, I think.

At the beach, I thought of the Torii. When I saw the images on my computer screen, I thought Golgotha, but I chose to go with my first thought.

Thank you both, Frank and Duck. Let's see what Chuck thinks. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Psjunkie
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Postby Psjunkie » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:26 pm

As I'm always straight forward Matt, for me it seems a different perspective, a touch too much rock gone as I've lost most of that looking up feeling that foreground was helping with....yeah I know, never can please him..lol. This was more what I was trying to describe...sorry to be such a pain, I am not very good with words....still absolutely nothing wrong the original, comment was just my thinking out loud.....
Attachments
Chuck%27s Torii %26 End of Summer %281 of 1%29 copy_psjunkie.jpg

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus

Postby Matt Quinn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:01 pm

s I'm always straight forward Matt, for me it seems a different perspective, a touch too much rock gone as I've lost most of that looking up feeling that foreground was helping with....yeah I know, never can please him..lol. This was more what I was trying to describe...sorry to be such a pain, I am not very good with words....still absolutely nothing wrong the original, comment was just my thinking out loud.

Wow and wow again. Only God can make a tree but Frank can make clouds. How did you do that? PS? Can I have this? If I send you the original big file, can you work your magic on that? I will give you credit and a % of any prize money. (Not really; never enter contests.) Thanks Matt
Matt Quinn

Psjunkie
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Postby Psjunkie » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:16 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Wow and wow again. Only God can make a tree but Frank can make clouds. How did you do that? PS? Can I have this? If I send you the original big file, can you work your magic on that? I will give you credit and a % of any prize money. (Not really; never enter contests.) Thanks Matt
Haha Matt...just simple cloning, yes Ps, yes, and I could try...So did my point about perspective make sense???

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus

Postby Matt Quinn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:43 pm

Yes, the perspective makes it. I will send you the stuff in a pm. Matt
Matt Quinn

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Charles Haacker » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:41 am

What Chuck thinks is that Chuck liked the first one! Matt, ya shot it about the way I hope I would have. I have yours and Frank's open in tabs, and while Frank's is fine, I love them rocks. To me, the rocks are more interesting than the sky, which is very interesting but once you crop away the rip-rap I think the picture loses something more than just the rocks. The original stops me to look more. The rework not so much. Overall what I like best is the what-I-call print quality, which is silly I know since it's digital but it has the character of a nice 8x10 glossy. :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus

Postby Matt Quinn » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:21 am

Charles Haacker wrote:What Chuck thinks is that Chuck liked the first one! Matt, ya shot it about the way I hope I would have. I have yours and Frank's open in tabs, and while Frank's is fine, I love them rocks. To me, the rocks are more interesting than the sky, which is very interesting but once you crop away the rip-rap I think the picture loses something more than just the rocks. The original stops me to look more. The rework not so much. Overall what I like best is the what-I-call print quality, which is silly I know since it's digital but it has the character of a nice 8x10 glossy. :thumbup:

Thanks Chuck. I appreciate your comment and your sort of standing next to me when I shot it and seeing it the way I did. I like #2 and would love to learn how Frank did his magic but so far my efforts at PS have been destructive and frustrating. Easy for me to lapse back into Lightroom only. But easy is not always the best way. Matt
Matt Quinn

Return to “Landscape & Scenics”