"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Critic's CornerYosemite Falls

The scenery around us is a ready target for our cameras. Scenic sights, architectural marvels, tourist landmarks, beaches, cottages, nooks and crannies can all find a home here.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Yosemite Falls

Postby St3v3M » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:49 am

Charles Haacker wrote:So far everyone has said what I would have said! It is a gorgeous, Painterly picture (I overuse the term but it fits so often). Having both open in tabs and toggling I can see much of what you did, starting with inputting camera and lens data (boooOOOooinggg), sharpening, color correcting (warm sun-kissed granodiorites, cold snow capped trees)... It's a wonderful picture and a wonderful job finishing it. I've been doing some of that lately myself, digging in the archives to see what I can do better. That to me is one of the best things about digital!

I started this to see if I could make it better, and was curious if my 'style' had changed, but along the way I realized how important it is to go back and redo an image from the past. It shows a change in our skills, but also how we see and interpret the scene.

I often find I'm invested in the images I take and want to make them the best I can, but I'm biased having been there at the moment the image was taken and have a hard time moving it past what I saw. Stepping back though, after enough time has passed, has removed me from that emotion and allowed me to see it anew.

I'm not sure if one is better than the other, or if they are two different images now, but this has been a fantastic exercise with amazing help for everyone! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby LindaShorey » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:57 pm

St3v3M wrote:...If you had to pick, one and one only, which would you choose? S-
I knew the "what" a few days ago but it took a bit of fermenting for me to be able to figure out the "why." Because I'm quite familiar with landscapes such as these - from my travels and places of residence, it's not imperative for me to see a technically detailed and perfected shot. So I like #1 better for the feeling, a more personalized than documentary approach perhaps we could say?

Thanks for asking!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:50 am

LindaShorey wrote:
St3v3M wrote:...If you had to pick, one and one only, which would you choose? S-
I knew the "what" a few days ago but it took a bit of fermenting for me to be able to figure out the "why." Because I'm quite familiar with landscapes such as these - from my travels and places of residence, it's not imperative for me to see a technically detailed and perfected shot. So I like #1 better for the feeling, a more personalized than documentary approach perhaps we could say?

Thanks for asking!

Although I feel more competent with the second I have to agree, there's something about the first that draws me in. Now if I could only remember how I did it...! S-

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Matt Quinn » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:49 pm

I like both for different reasons. The first reminds me of the Hudson Valley painters. I lived on the banks of the Hudson for 4 years and loved its many moods. Although none was as charming as this, my memories are fond.

And we lived in MT for 11 years which makes #2 appealing in its reminder of Glacier. I never got any photo nearly as dramatic as this,( they were all film, so I can't go back) but enjoyed slogging on the stream banks to get just the right angle of stream, trees and mountain. Nicely done; thank you. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:43 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:I like both for different reasons. The first reminds me of the Hudson Valley painters. I lived on the banks of the Hudson for 4 years and loved its many moods. Although none was as charming as this, my memories are fond.

And we lived in MT for 11 years which makes #2 appealing in its reminder of Glacier. I never got any photo nearly as dramatic as this,( they were all film, so I can't go back) but enjoyed slogging on the stream banks to get just the right angle of stream, trees and mountain. Nicely done; thank you. Matt

Wow, thank you so much! I'm honored! I still don't remember how I processed the first, but everyone's reply gives me a better understanding of what you like!

Thank you again! S-

Return to “Landscape & Scenics”