“The only way you'll find out if you 'have it in you' is to get to work and see if you do.” —Cheryl Strayed

Critic's CornerMoonset over Mt Adams with a ranch in foreground

The scenery around us is a ready target for our cameras. Scenic sights, architectural marvels, tourist landmarks, beaches, cottages, nooks and crannies can all find a home here.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Moonset over Mt Adams with a ranch in foreground

Postby LindaShorey » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:35 pm

If you click the center of the image to produce a "download" (not sure what it is exactly, lol), I believe the pic will look clearer.

#1 has more detail and color than #2, and a tiny crop from the right side. But my main question has to do with the foreground - the elements all lining up in a row like that. Do you find interest? I can't move to left or right or I obscure the mountain. Cropping from left leaves the big branch hanging there. Maybe I'll like better tomorrow, but I bet if you give me your feedback, suggestions, ideas, edits, we can figure it out together today :)

Thanks so much!
Attachments
1 P1030799 from first pds more edits diff look.jpg
1 P1030799.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Moonset over Mt Adams with a ranch in foreground

Postby Charles Haacker » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:26 pm

LindaShorey wrote:If you click the center of the image to produce a "download" (not sure what it is exactly, lol), I believe the pic will look clearer.

#1 has more detail and color than #2, and a tiny crop from the right side. But my main question has to do with the foreground - the elements all lining up in a row like that. Do you find interest? I can't move to left or right or I obscure the mountain. Cropping from left leaves the big branch hanging there. Maybe I'll like better tomorrow, but I bet if you give me your feedback, suggestions, ideas, edits, we can figure it out together today :)

Thanks so much!

I have a slight preference for #2. I like the slightly panoramic crop and the cooler color, which I think fits the time of day and the light. I LOVE the picture. I have no quarrel with the foreground at all. There used to be a compositional "rule" that you should never have a "barrier" across the bottom of a picture because it "prevents the viewer from walking in to the composition. :thumbdown: Yeeeeaaah, bullfeathers, certainly for me in this case. I can walk in as far as you did, rest my forearms on the fence and enjoy the scene of the moon over Mt. Adams framed with the trees. I think had I made it I would crop from top to make a 16x9 panorama as the darkening sky otherwise lacks interest, and anyway you don't want to pull attention away from moon and mountain. I think the one thing I might try (and I'm not sure you have it) is a slight dehaze on the sky (10 - 15 no more) and maybe brush a little dehaze into the mountain to pop it out juuuuust a tad. I think you use Elements and Camera Raw and I'm not sure if either one has the dehaze tool that comes with Lightroom, but there are always workarounds.

(By the way, a trick I like to use is to right click on the picture, then open link in new tab. That brings it up in a new tab at full size of whatever you uploaded so the sharpness and color can be better assessed.)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

PietFrancke
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby PietFrancke » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:10 pm

Hi Linda, for me the mountain is a subject or the ranch is a subject. But both together just don't work. If I were to take a picture of my beautiful daughter, I'm NOT going to do it in her room. If I wanted to take a picture that horrified people more than dark insect images, I Would take one of her room.

I like the glow of the mountain of the first, and the more desaturated look of the ranch on the second. Perhaps turning the ranch into moody b/w and the mountain into dreamy color would work. It would emphasize the clutter in the magic kingdom, or the magic kingdom within the clutter.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby LindaShorey » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:31 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I have a slight preference for #2. I like the slightly panoramic crop and the cooler color, which I think fits the time of day and the light. I LOVE the picture. I have no quarrel with the foreground at all. There used to be a compositional "rule" that you should never have a "barrier" across the bottom of a picture because it "prevents the viewer from walking in to the composition. :thumbdown: Yeeeeaaah, bullfeathers, certainly for me in this case. I can walk in as far as you did, rest my forearms on the fence and enjoy the scene of the moon over Mt. Adams framed with the trees. I think had I made it I would crop from top to make a 16x9 panorama as the darkening sky otherwise lacks interest, and anyway you don't want to pull attention away from moon and mountain. I think the one thing I might try (and I'm not sure you have it) is a slight dehaze on the sky (10 - 15 no more) and maybe brush a little dehaze into the mountain to pop it out juuuuust a tad. I think you use Elements and Camera Raw and I'm not sure if either one has the dehaze tool that comes with Lightroom, but there are always workarounds.

(By the way, a trick I like to use is to right click on the picture, then open link in new tab. That brings it up in a new tab at full size of whatever you uploaded so the sharpness and color can be better assessed.)

Thanks so much for your detailed assessment, Chuck. I trimmed a little off the top already, not sure I can go more as I am so used to seeing big wide skies around :) These were shot just before sunrise with the foreground still in shadow; I've been doing moonset rather than moonrise the past few years; seems to fit my energy level and sleep schedule better.

You're the second person in two days to mention De-Haze, so I'm thinking the time has come to purchase!

I'm very grateful for your time and feedback.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby LindaShorey » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:36 pm

PietFrancke wrote:Hi Linda, for me the mountain is a subject or the ranch is a subject. But both together just don't work. If I were to take a picture of my beautiful daughter, I'm NOT going to do it in her room. If I wanted to take a picture that horrified people more than dark insect images, I Would take one of her room.

I like the glow of the mountain of the first, and the more desaturated look of the ranch on the second. Perhaps turning the ranch into moody b/w and the mountain into dreamy color would work. It would emphasize the clutter in the magic kingdom, or the magic kingdom within the clutter.

As much as I love my "kitchen sink" landscapes (MinnieV's coined phrase), maybe what you see is what dissatisfied me a bit also. As for your fascinating Magic Kingdom edits, I can't wait to try :) Think I'll have to add a few critters and birds, though! Thank you kindly for your feedback.

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:33 pm

LindaShorey wrote:If you click the center of the image to produce a "download" (not sure what it is exactly, lol), I believe the pic will look clearer.

Thanks so much!

You know I am all about some kitchen sink compositions! I like the image, and prefer the first with its emphasis on the mountain and the enhanced color. Fences that I can't walk through don't bother me because real life is full of fences I can't walk through, and I can enjoy a scene from my side of the fence pretty darned well. (Obviously I did not write the book on compositional rules). I do find the right section of the buildings to be a bit of distraction, and might eliminate it to include only the one building and not the red thing that I keep trying to look at.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby LindaShorey » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:06 pm

minniev wrote:You know I am all about some kitchen sink compositions! I like the image, and prefer the first with its emphasis on the mountain and the enhanced color. Fences that I can't walk through don't bother me because real life is full of fences I can't walk through, and I can enjoy a scene from my side of the fence pretty darned well. (Obviously I did not write the book on compositional rules). I do find the right section of the buildings to be a bit of distraction, and might eliminate it to include only the one building and not the red thing that I keep trying to look at.

Thanks so much, Minnie! I greatly appreciate your time and feedback. Many of my landscapes are not accessible except by zoom, lol. If not a barbed wire fence, then a steep, muddy ditch and a loose guard dog :)

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:30 am

Thanks so much!

Of the two I like the first for its warm goodness, but see why you presented the cooler second as an option.

My eye goes from the moon, to the tree, the ranch house and back again with the mountain in the center of the triangle. The fence is there and completes the image, but the only suggestion I might make is to give it a bit more room, a bit more foreground, to keep from placing it on the bottom line. I'd be curious to see the mountain with a little more clarity, but think it works well the way it is. It's evening light and the night is putting itself to bed.

Angle down a little, otherwise it's perfect! And I love your link so much I added it to the newly added Links Section! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:31 am

Charles Haacker wrote:...

I love this trick! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby LindaShorey » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:32 pm

St3v3M wrote:Of the two I like the first for its warm goodness, but see why you presented the cooler second as an option.

My eye goes from the moon, to the tree, the ranch house and back again with the mountain in the center of the triangle. The fence is there and completes the image, but the only suggestion I might make is to give it a bit more room, a bit more foreground, to keep from placing it on the bottom line. I'd be curious to see the mountain with a little more clarity, but think it works well the way it is. It's evening light and the night is putting itself to bed.

Angle down a little, otherwise it's perfect! And I love your link so much I added it to the newly added Links Section! S-

Thanks so much for your feedback, Steve. This was at dawn, hence the title "moonset," LOL

I appreciate your describing how you meandered through the image, good stuff!

The article, What's important in a Photograph and what isn't, was so inspiring -- a reboot of my own attitude after reading months of conversations (in another forum) about sharp at 100% and digital noise, and then seeing all those over-saturated, cookie-cutter style "pristine" works on 500px and fredmiranda.

Return to “Landscape & Scenics”