Critic's CornerFoggy Foggy Dew

The scenery around us is a ready target for our cameras. Scenic sights, architectural marvels, tourist landmarks, beaches, cottages, nooks and crannies can all find a home here.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
pah43
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Foggy Foggy Dew

Postby pah43 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:33 am

Our Photo group recently had a great weekend in the lower Flinders Ranges In South Australia, we woke up to a perfect morning, no wind, slight fog and sunshine - everything we could have dreamed of (we don't often see any fog at all) This shot is one of my favorites from our early session. I think I achieved what I set out to get and that was of course the atmosphere of the moment - a higher key shot showing the fog showing the delicate colors almost as a painting. Exif - Nikon d5200, Sigma 17-50 @ 40mm, f4 @ 1/100th sec, iso 200.

Cheers,
Paul.

“Wherever there is light, one can photograph." :photo:

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Foggy Foggy Dew

Postby TomCofer » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:22 pm

I don't feel qualified to truly Critique the shot other than to say that I like it and think it's interesting.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:20 am

I can't recall who said, "if you want interesting photos, take photos of interesting things." In this case the landscape is enchanting, mysterious and quite interesting. I especially like how the dry creek bed pulls you into the scene. The photo itself in reminiscent of an oil painting.

My only critique is the landscape has a very distinctive separation between foreground, middleground and background. I feel it could use a more definitive separation of the layers in this image. As is, there are parts that fade into each other somewhat and could benefit from a little separation. In particular the a between the midground trees and the background.

Just my two bits. I wish there were scenes like this around my place. Thanks for sharing.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

WesternGuy
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby WesternGuy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:39 pm

Nice image. If it were mine, I think I might have gotten a bit closer to the "trees" and eliminated some of the "green" foreground. This would have required opening up the lens to maybe 25-30mm. I think if you crop it just before the water starts it will place more emphasis on the foggy, foggy part of the image.

WesternGuy
You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn't waste either. - Galen Rowell

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
My new blog: http://photowestguy.wordpress.com/

Return to “Landscape & Scenics”