"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Things CritiqueMozzarella Sticks and Marinara Sauce

Images of inanimate objects; furniture, food & beverage, appliances, gadgets, electronics, apparel, jewelry
Steven G Webb
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Mozzarella Sticks and Marinara Sauce

Postby Steven G Webb » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:13 am

Duck wrote:Thanks for the accolades, guys, but I'm just like you all; pushing forward to learn and make good images.

I love my overly sophisticated and fancy tilt shift lens but I very seldom use it for food. I prefer the selective focus shallow DoF gives to food. That doesn't mean shooting wide open either. Depth of Field, in commercial photography, is just another tool in the arsenal of tools available to us. Just as in portraiture, DoF helps to create mood and adds a level of richness to the image. Where one needs to be careful is in the placement of that area of focus. A little off and it can potentially ruin an image.

Where that lens really shines is when I want to change the angle of my field of focus to match the perspective of the product. For example; if I shoot a box and I want the entirety of the front of that box in focus I would have to make sure that the plane of the box matches the plane of the sensor. That makes for a pretty boring image. A perspective shot is much more dynamic but for that the angle of the plane of focus will need to match the angle of the box. That lens contraption of mine will allow me to do that in a (for me) more controlled manner than a typical TS lens would.

There are trade offs though. LF lenses tend to be a bit softer than standard SLR lenses. The camera is larger and bulkier to handle and there will never be such thing as hand holding it :lol:

I appreciate your help. I lost a good friend and mentor to sudden and unexpected death. His passing took quite toll on me emotionally. I'm so happy to have found a working photographer who is willing to share so much. I've never used a perspective control lens I am familiar with the concept of tilt, shift and swing. I know a boat load of photographers love to shoot wide aperture and razor thin depth-of-field. Depth-of-field is relative to camera / subject distance. When that distance is measured in feet the depth-of-field is measured in feet but tabletop the distances is measured in inches, or fractions of an inch. Even at f/11 or f/16 the DoF is pretty shallow. I totally agree that placement is so crucial it can make or break an image. The image I submitted is one of several attempts and a part of the process was setting the focus to different areas. I think for the most part I prefer the front of the image to be the focal point and there to be falloff to the rear. I'm not usually keen on a central zone of focus and a blurred foreground and background. I also never say never or always.
If you've never failed you've never tried.
Holly Ridge Photography
Facebook

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:22 am

I'm coming to this late, but my immediate thought was what's the final result to look like and all I could think of was crop it square, crop it square! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Steven G Webb
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Steven G Webb » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:23 am

St3v3M wrote:I'm coming to this late, but my immediate thought was what's the final result to look like and all I could think of was crop it square, crop it square! S-

Love it! Thanks. Community and cumulative thinking make this a great place. So often I feel like I've learned something or I've have accomplished something then I bring it into a forum and realize right away how very little I know. A reminder, you'll never know what direction the help will come from when you ask for it. I'm grateful for the input.
If you've never failed you've never tried.
Holly Ridge Photography
Facebook

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:29 am

Steven G Webb wrote:Love it! Thanks. Community and cumulative thinking make this a great place. So often I feel like I've learned something or I've have accomplished something then I bring it into a forum and realize right away how very little I know. A reminder, you'll never know what direction the help will come from when you ask for it. I'm grateful for the input.

The help of friends is always welcome! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Things Critique”