"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Critic's CornerCheesecake with strawberries

Simple dishes, elaborate layouts, individual products are all welcomed. If you have a recipe to go with the photo all the better.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Cheesecake with strawberries

Postby Duck » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:02 pm

PietFrancke wrote:[...] One of those 5DsR might be super for this, tell your friend about them and he'll just have to buy one for the cause!

So, Cristian, my fashion photography buddy, has a Phase1 he uses to shoot with. It replaced the Hasselblad he had stolen from him some time back. His girlfriend (Ari, the apprentice stylist) said she was interested in getting into photography and Cristian asked me if I thought the 5D mkIV was the way to go. Of course I said, "no," as it's too much camera for a newbie. Two days later he's in the studio with not one but two brand new Canon 5D mkIV, a 50mm and an 80mm, Black Rapid straps and a slew of extra batteries. :?

Ari's never shot anything other than her cellphone and Cristian is tied at the hip to his medium format. What the... What a waste.

He does awesome work though. Check out cristianruben.com
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Duck » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:03 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I have not looked at your spoiler, and for me it is #1. I like the point of the cheesecake toward me since when I lift my fork it's going to cut through that point about an inch back. If I go for the second one I have to turn the plate which will delay the time when the delicious cheesecake starts melting on my tongue. Seriously! The other thing is that I like the almost-contact between the spoonful of yummy and the yummy already on the cheesecake. I don't care for the second (again) because the spoon is too far away (also slowing down the process of eeeeeaaaaaaatingggg). The third is a perfect, perfectly beautiful, perfectly meh food shot, and anyway the cheesecake is turned the wrong way. Nobody eats cheesecake from the back and the spoon adds interest. (OK) That's my take and I'm stickin' to it now that I looked at your spoiler.

Some excellent points, Charles. I appreciate your input. :thumbup:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PietFrancke
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby PietFrancke » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:07 am

Duck wrote:
PietFrancke wrote:[...] One of those 5DsR might be super for this, tell your friend about them and he'll just have to buy one for the cause!

So, Cristian, my fashion photography buddy, has a Phase1 he uses to shoot with. It replaced the Hasselblad he had stolen from him some time back. His girlfriend (Ari, the apprentice stylist) said she was interested in getting into photography and Cristian asked me if I thought the 5D mkIV was the way to go. Of course I said, "no," as it's too much camera for a newbie. Two days later he's in the studio with not one but two brand new Canon 5D mkIV, a 50mm and an 80mm, Black Rapid straps and a slew of extra batteries. :?

Ari's never shot anything other than her cellphone and Cristian is tied at the hip to his medium format. What the... What a waste.

He does awesome work though. Check out cristianruben.com

I looked - He DOES do awesome work. Hopefully they are rich/successful and it is just money to burn... I can understand wanting the best - but TWO of them!! LOL, when I wanted to get into photography I wanted the best. So I got an eight or ten year old Canon 1DS Mark ii for six hundred bucks. My thinking was if it was good enough for magazine cover photographers, it was good enough for me. GAS is a serious condition to fight off.

I think your story shows that most people... a lot of people think that the magic is in the hardware, not the skills, hard work, etc. that it might take. This story plays over and over be it a pool cue, tennis racket, or name your toy/tool.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:10 pm

Duck wrote:So I did a portfolio shoot of some cheesecake with strawberry topping. I did three variations and would like to take an impromptu poll as to which one you folks like better. That'll be the one i place into the web site. Thanks for the help.

I like the first for its action, but think the fork should be separated from the cake. Ultimately then I like the third but wonder if you should mirror it. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Food & Beverage”