"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Things CritiqueCheesecake with strawberries

Images of inanimate objects; furniture, food & beverage, appliances, gadgets, electronics, apparel, jewelry
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Cheesecake with strawberries

Postby Duck » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:42 am

So I did a portfolio shoot of some cheesecake with strawberry topping. I did three variations and would like to take an impromptu poll as to which one you folks like better. That'll be the one i place into the web site. Thanks for the help.
Unitas_Photography-2666.jpg
with spoon strawberry falling

Unitas_Photography-2674.jpg
with spoon reversed

Unitas_Photography-2677.jpg
without spoon

I don't want to sway people but my favorite one is...
► Show Spoiler
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Re: Cheesecake with strawberries

Postby Duck » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:57 am

Here is a BTS of my setup. This is after breaking down a sushi shot but it's pretty much the same. Softbox in back, cheap foam core reflectors in front. Spoon was on a C-stand similar to the chopsticks in this image.
Sushi BTS.jpg

P.S. Disregard the Lightblaster on the studio head in the background. That wasn't used.

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby minniev » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:44 pm

Duck wrote:So I did a portfolio shoot of some cheesecake with strawberry topping. I did three variations and would like to take an impromptu poll as to which one you folks like better. That'll be the one i place into the web site. Thanks for the help.
► Show Spoiler

The spoon ones are nicely done, but the simple third one suits me better. You should pay no attention to me though, since I know nothing about marketing photography and your studio scares the hell out of me. It reminds me how different photographic endeavors are as foreign to each other as Mandarin is to English. They are both languages and serve the same purposes but are most often incomprehensible to one another.

Wow.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

rmalarz
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby rmalarz » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:05 pm

My favorite is the studio photo. As for the food photos, I'm leaning towards the first one.
--Bob
Duck wrote:So I did a portfolio shoot of some cheesecake with strawberry topping. I did three variations and would like to take an impromptu poll as to which one you folks like better. That'll be the one i place into the web site. Thanks for the help.
► Show Spoiler
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Postby PietFrancke » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:46 pm

I liked the first for the composition but liked the third for the contrast of the dessert against the dark place. For the first, it would have been better if the spoonful was more of a focal point - perhaps if it were against a darker background (like the plate).. maybe dark countertop or some such. Needed a way to let less light onto the surface the place is sitting on.

Having said all that, I'm going to raid the fridge.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:08 pm

Fantastic comments, all.

My preference is to shoot dark, moody images. However, understanding that white on white is commercially viable I have been forcing myself to go against my better nature. Hence the white table. As I was shooting this my head kept screaming to shoot it against a dark background. Funny how you guys voiced my gut feeling. It says something right there.

I share studio space with a fashion photographer and he seems to keep amassing lighting equipment (young kid in his 30's with a bad case of GAS). The running joke is that soon I'll be shooting out in the hallway. :-D

Pictured is my favorite camera, a Cambo large format camera converted to receive my Canon on the back. These images were taken with a Caltar 210mm 1:5.6. Converts to something like a 400 or 500 mm lense. I never bothered doing the math. It allows me to have all kinds of tilt shift movements on my camera. Great for some product shots. That's why the EXIF doesn't show the lens info, if anyone was wondering.

rmalarz
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Postby rmalarz » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:30 pm

I saw some company makes adapters to put cameras on the back of a view camera. I'd love to adapt my Graphic View II to accept my D800. Unfortunately, that is going to take some custom machining and that equates to lotsa bucks.
--Bob
Duck wrote:Fantastic comments, all.

My preference is to shoot dark, moody images. However, understanding that white on white is commercially viable I have been forcing myself to go against my better nature. Hence the white table. As I was shooting this my head kept screaming to shoot it against a dark background. Funny how you guys voiced my gut feeling. It says something right there.

I share studio space with a fashion photographer and he seems to keep amassing lighting equipment (young kid in his 30's with a bad case of GAS). The running joke is that soon I'll be shooting out in the hallway. :-D

Pictured is my favorite camera, a Cambo large format camera converted to receive my Canon on the back. These images were taken with a Caltar 210mm 1:5.6. Converts to something like a 400 or 500 mm lense. I never bothered doing the math. It allows me to have all kinds of tilt shift movements on my camera. Great for some product shots. That's why the EXIF doesn't show the lens info, if anyone was wondering.
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Postby PietFrancke » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:18 pm

Duck wrote:Fantastic comments, all.

maybe white plate on white background then... I was wondering what that monstrosity was! Very interesting about turning a large format into digital, but I guess you are limited by the digital's sensor. One of those 5DsR might be super for this, tell your friend about them and he'll just have to buy one for the cause!

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby Charles Haacker » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:14 pm

I have not looked at your spoiler, and for me it is #1. I like the point of the cheesecake toward me since when I lift my fork it's going to cut through that point about an inch back. If I go for the second one I have to turn the plate which will delay the time when the delicious cheesecake starts melting on my tongue. Seriously! The other thing is that I like the almost-contact between the spoonful of yummy and the yummy already on the cheesecake. I don't care for the second (again) because the spoon is too far away (also slowing down the process of eeeeeaaaaaaatingggg). The third is a perfect, perfectly beautiful, perfectly meh food shot, and anyway the cheesecake is turned the wrong way. Nobody eats cheesecake from the back and the spoon adds interest. (OK) That's my take and I'm stickin' to it now that I looked at your spoiler.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:50 pm

rmalarz wrote:I saw some company makes adapters to put cameras on the back of a view camera. I'd love to adapt my Graphic View II to accept my D800. Unfortunately, that is going to take some custom machining and that equates to lotsa bucks.
--Bob

Maybe not as expensive as you think...

Yes, there is a special adaptor that will allow you to use a digital camera on the back for just under $200.US that has the capability to "slide" the digital camera to the four quadrants of the large format back. This allows you to effectively cover a larger (medium format size) area but requires stitching. I thought of going that route but I don't (as yet) need something like that. I opted to go a different route.

I took a lens board with a large opening and a cheap extension tube and sent both to S.K.Grimes for modification. They took the smallest (#1) extension and the mounting ring and permanently attached it to the lens board in the proper orientation. I then cut additional notches 90 degrees on the lens board so I can turn the camera from landscape to portrait as needed by simply removing the lens board, reorienting it and clipping it back in. I now have not only tilt and shift but rise and fall as well. Something a standard SLR tilt/shift won't give you.

The one thing I find that works with this setup is because the projected image size of the lens is so big I can get away with far greater movements on the camera than if I were working with large format film. The other thing (and this is a minor issue) is there is an aperture shift when using a handheld meter due to the change in focal lengths. Usually within a 1/3 to 2/3 stop difference sometimes (depending on the lens).

Oh, and if I recall correctly, the whole modification was under $100.US.

Return to “Things Critique”