"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Critic's CornerEggs!

Simple dishes, elaborate layouts, individual products are all welcomed. If you have a recipe to go with the photo all the better.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
pah43
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Eggs!

Postby pah43 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:03 am

This is one of a series I did for a challenge in our local Photography Group, again not a subject I would normally look at but a challenge is a challenge isnt it? ( I apologize for the low quality and small size - I will sort out the file size soon :) )
Attachments
Soldiers.jpg
Nice simple dish!
Soldiers.jpg (66.35 KiB) Viewed 822 times
Cheers,
Paul.

“Wherever there is light, one can photograph." :photo:

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Eggs!

Postby TomCofer » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:31 am

The yolks on him.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

pah43
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Postby pah43 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:46 am

I knew someone would get the yolk :D
Cheers,
Paul.

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Onslow » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:47 am

Good one Paul. I remember seeing this in the challenge. Great image. :)

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Bobby Deal » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:43 pm

Nicely done Paul, it is a new way of presenting a simple subject such as eggs and toast that is but effective and engaging. I think perhaps a touch of hard fill from the back across the top edge of toast would provide a bit more definition and texture to the toast slices but all and all still a nice effective photograph.

Bobby Deal - Commercial Photographer

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

Studio Photography Lighting and Modeling Workshops

"The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"

PhotoMentoris- "A diverse artistic community dedicated to a culture of photographic education, sharing and creative tolerance"

pah43
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Postby pah43 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:18 am

Thanks for the comments, Ive played around with it with the comments in mind so here are the results. (Bobby! not too sure what you mean by hard fill but ive worked on those areas) Maybe Ive gone too far - your call guys - im happily learning here :)

Cheers,
Paul.

pah43
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Postby pah43 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:23 am

Hmm not sure whats going on here, this version came via photobucket and the colors are not what I'm seeing in Light Room and PS any suggestions?
Cheers,
Paul.

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Onslow » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:48 am

pah43 wrote:Thanks for the comments, Ive played around with it with the comments in mind so here are the results. (Bobby! not too sure what you mean by hard fill but ive worked on those areas) Maybe Ive gone too far - your call guys - im happily learning here :)

Paul, hard and soft fill refers to how the light is produced. Bare light sources or small sized sources can give hard shadows, hence they are called hard. A hard fill is a small amount of light that is secondary to the main light and is also either bare or small in size (or both). A soft fill would be when using for instance one of my softboxes to give a faint, blurred light source that is not the primary light source.
A combination of hard and soft light in images usually works to give texture and other qualities in the image.
So, a touch of hard fill from the back across the top would give crispness to the toast. It would be a hard fill (perhaps a bare speedlight turned right down in power) and aimed towards the camera BUT angled down towards the toast. The result would be crispness and shadowing in the toast but as it would be a fill, it wouldn't overpower the rest of the image. You may need to block the speedlight though from the lens as you may get flaring into the lens.

pah43
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Postby pah43 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:25 am

Bobby Deal wrote:Nicely done Paul, it is a new way of presenting a simple subject such as eggs and toast that is but effective and engaging. I think perhaps a touch of hard fill from the back across the top edge of toast would provide a bit more definition and texture to the toast slices but all and all still a nice effective photograph.

Thank to a visit from Onslow i seem to have overcome this little problem which originated in my LR export preset being set to ProPhoto rgb not srgb - fixed! :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Paul.

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby TomCofer » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:26 am

pah43 wrote:
Bobby Deal wrote:Nicely done Paul, it is a new way of presenting a simple subject such as eggs and toast that is but effective and engaging. I think perhaps a touch of hard fill from the back across the top edge of toast would provide a bit more definition and texture to the toast slices but all and all still a nice effective photograph.

Thank to a visit from Onslow i seem to have overcome this little problem which originated in my LR export preset being set to ProPhoto rgb not srgb - fixed! :mrgreen:

Nice!
Onslow to the rescue! Did he ride over on a white horse wearing a mask and a gun with silver bullets? :lol: :lol:
(I don't know why, but that image popped into my head when I read that and it made me smile.)
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Return to “Food & Beverage”