"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

General DiscussionsWish me luck

Open Forum - This is the official "any-topic" portion of the site. Stop in, say "hello", comment on photo or non-photo related topics, vent your frustrations or just chill out. The choice is yours.
Steven G Webb
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Wish me luck

Postby Steven G Webb » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:08 am

Some of you all know my background and current pursuit; basically, I was formally educated and originally experienced in traditional classical portraiture and for the past 8 years or so I've been photographing horse shows. I've made it abundantly clear that my heart remains in a portrait studio. My wife and I have discussed at length what we need to do to bring that hope to life. We've just about completed our residential relocation from TX to SC but need to do major renovations on the house she inherited. Both the house rehabbing and the studio search is on what appears now to be an eternal holding pattern while we also meet our obligations to shows in four states. We're doing well enough to maintain but not so well we are able to move ahead.

We recently discussed the possibility of dropping out of the horse show photography business completely and perhaps even sidelining the photography completely and seek gainful employment that would provide for our daily needs, allow us to fix up the house and put away savings for a future studio endeavor. Discussed.

Last night I was online in a Facebook photography group (Jeff Lubin's Photographers tip of the day) where the question was posed regarding the most difficult challenge of being in business. One member posted that attracting, acquiring and retaining help was his difficulty. I did a quick stalking (aka: research) to find his studio is about 40 miles from where we are temporarily housed and will eventually be permanently living. Looking at his headshot I estimate him to be middle to late 30's. His studio has been in its present location long enough that it is visible on Google Earth street view. His body of work is solid and covers portraiture both in studio and environmental, children family and seniors all represented along with a handful of commercial product jobs. He's doing the kind of work I want to be doing. He's a member of Nikon Professional Service, the PPA and the SCPPA.

I shot the gentleman a quick note. He's wanting to bring at least one person on-board in the immediate future. I'm going to meet him at the studio after lunch tomorrow and see what potentials there are.
If you've never failed you've never tried.
Holly Ridge Photography
Facebook

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Re: Wish me luck

Postby Bobby Deal » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:15 am

No worries Steve, you got this, if anything you are probably over qualified for what he needs but if he is looking to bring on solid help I can not imagine he would let you and your experience get away

Bobby Deal - Commercial Photographer

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

"The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"

PhotoMentoris- "A diverse artistic community dedicated to a culture of photographic education, sharing and creative tolerance"

Steven G Webb
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Postby Steven G Webb » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:34 am

Thanks Bobby. My primary worry is that he'll think I'm over qualified. Secondarily, I worry that he's looking for occasional part-time help. I can make him understand that just because I know the exposure triangle doesn't mean I'm above taking out the trash or schlepping gear. I can't do much about his current bottom line and sitting load. I hope he needs enough help to make it worthwhile for us both.
Holly Ridge Photography
Facebook

tsilva
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Postby tsilva » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:29 am

Good Luck Steven!

Based on the few conversations we have had in the past I have no doubts you will nail this :thumbup:

Tony
Tony Silva - Photography Enthusiast

Steven G Webb
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Postby Steven G Webb » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:36 am

Thank you Tony. I appreciate the kind words and encouragement.
Holly Ridge Photography
Facebook

WesternGuy
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby WesternGuy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:56 am

Steve, I wish you the best of luck. It sounds like you are going through the "decisions" that my wife and I went through many years ago when I decided to quit the mainstream of working for someone else and go consulting independently. This was in IT work, not photography, but it really doesn't matter, the hand-wringing and sweating that one goes through in these types of processes are very similar. I made the jump, got a few choice assignments (right place, right time) and never looked back. Happy clients made for repeat work and your reputation for quality work travels quickly (as well as a reputation for non-quality work). I will watch your progress with much anticipation.

WesternGuy
You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn't waste either. - Galen Rowell

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
My new blog: http://photowestguy.wordpress.com/

cyclohexane
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby cyclohexane » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:05 am

Go get 'em!
-Michael
Find me on the web: Michael Chen Photo |Blog ("coming soon" since before the dinosaurs roamed the Earth)|SportsShooter | California Wildlife

Steven G Webb
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Postby Steven G Webb » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:10 am

WesternGuy wrote:Steve, I wish you the best of luck. It sounds like you are going through the "decisions" that my wife and I went through many years ago when I decided to quit the mainstream of working for someone else and go consulting independently. This was in IT work, not photography, but it really doesn't matter, the hand-wringing and sweating that one goes through in these types of processes are very similar. I made the jump, got a few choice assignments (right place, right time) and never looked back. Happy clients made for repeat work and your reputation for quality work travels quickly (as well as a reputation for non-quality work). I will watch your progress with much anticipation.

WesternGuy

Thank you for the encouragement. I want to continue being a photographer, I enjoy the work and the craft. I'd rather work for someone else as a photographer than to take a short-term retail or mfg. job doing something I dislike. We're not out of the game, maybe just backing up 10 yards to punt.
Holly Ridge Photography
Facebook

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Onslow » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:43 am

Steve, I wish you the best of luck with this. I hope it can be a full time position. It would be good to be able to do what you love.... :) Make sure you let us all know the result.

Steven G Webb
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Postby Steven G Webb » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:00 am

Thank you John. I will for sure report back how it goes. This is the first opportunity that has me feeling optimistic.
Holly Ridge Photography
Facebook

Return to “General Discussions”