"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Business of Photography"If I were Driven"

The place for working professionals and enthusiasts to come together and discuss the Business of Photography.
Learn from the pros what it takes to build and maintain a successful professional photography business.
Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

"If I were Driven"

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:00 pm

This is a rather old post from a friend Bill Dooling and I have his permission to share:

If I were Driven
I’m not driven,

If I were driven, every florist, caterer, hotel, gown and tux shop, DJ, church, limo driver, jewelry shop, real estate office, high school, grade school, organization, would know me by one name, I would be the Elvis of my little community.

If I were driven, I would know the name of every contact, their children’s name, and what is happening in their life. I would have photographed a complementary portrait of every contact that is in a position to send me more business.

If I were driven every Monday would be my contact day, from 9am to 9pm I would be a social butterfly, my camera would be safely tucked away and my only interest would be sharing a laugh with my network of friends. My Monday visits would be the highlights of their days, I would always have something wonderful to share with them, we would become best friends.

If I were driven I would join Toastmasters, the Chamber, local PTA’s, Better Business Bureau, Photography groups. In short I would be a joiner, I would mingle and move with the richest and brightest our community had to offer.

If I were driven I would make at least one very good contact with the local newspaper, I would be sending them releases every month of some new and wonderful thing this photographer from their community is doing.

If I were driven every convention that is making its way in to town would know my name, they may not use me but they would have my name, I would have talked to who ever his arranging the photos and they would be impressed with my interest and determination.

If I were driven every high school team would know my name, I would be talking to every person who is in charge of the cheer leaders down to the chess club. I would be down at the high schools so often they would think I work there.

If I were driven, every high school senior would receive a mailer, every bride would receive a mailer, every baby would receive a mailer, and everyone of my past customers would receive the biggest Thank You card with a Photoshop creation I created just for them. Every one of my past customers also become part of my monthly newsletter, filled with games, puzzles, fun, what is new in the industry, offers, many, many, offers. Ideas and concepts that they could do, classes I’m offering, parties I’m planning, shows I’m doing, etc.

If I were driven I would do the totally unexpected, the so far beyond what anyone would do; I would become a legend in my little corner of the world. I would treat every mistake real or imagined as a possibility to do something beyond the realm of good business practices. I would hand deliver it 50 miles away at 10pm if that is what it took to go the extra mile. I would look at mistakes as being the greatest opportunity in the world to do something extraordinary, something that will have people talking for years.

That is what I would do if I was driven, what would you do?

Bill

It takes alot of hard work to make really good money at this business. Taking pretty pictures isn't going to get you far, you have to be 90% business person!!!!!
Today is the Day, a New Day.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Re: "If I were Driven"

Postby Charles Haacker » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:28 pm

It takes a lot of hard work to make really good money at this business. Taking pretty pictures isn't going to get you far, you have to be 90% business person!!!!!

Boy-o is that ever! I speak from sad experience. I knew a very successful commercial photographer who once tried to tell me that... (I absolutely despise selling which is not healthy for a business person). He said that if he had two candidates for a position, one who was a crack photographer who could not sell, and the other an average photographer who could, he would always but always hire the salesman. "Anybody can learn photography," he said, "but selling is an art that is the foundation of business." My problem I think was that I was a middling photographer who could not sell. :wall: :(
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby minniev » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:23 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:This is a rather old post from a friend Bill Dooling and I have his permission to share:

If I were Driven
I’m not driven,

If I were driven, every florist, caterer, hotel, gown and tux shop, DJ, church, limo driver, jewelry shop, real estate office, high school, grade school, organization, would know me by one name, I would be the Elvis of my little community.

If I were driven, I would know the name of every contact, their children’s name, and what is happening in their life. I would have photographed a complementary portrait of every contact that is in a position to send me more business.

If I were driven every Monday would be my contact day, from 9am to 9pm I would be a social butterfly, my camera would be safely tucked away and my only interest would be sharing a laugh with my network of friends. My Monday visits would be the highlights of their days, I would always have something wonderful to share with them, we would become best friends.

If I were driven I would join Toastmasters, the Chamber, local PTA’s, Better Business Bureau, Photography groups. In short I would be a joiner, I would mingle and move with the richest and brightest our community had to offer.

If I were driven I would make at least one very good contact with the local newspaper, I would be sending them releases every month of some new and wonderful thing this photographer from their community is doing.

If I were driven every convention that is making its way in to town would know my name, they may not use me but they would have my name, I would have talked to who ever his arranging the photos and they would be impressed with my interest and determination.

If I were driven every high school team would know my name, I would be talking to every person who is in charge of the cheer leaders down to the chess club. I would be down at the high schools so often they would think I work there.

If I were driven, every high school senior would receive a mailer, every bride would receive a mailer, every baby would receive a mailer, and everyone of my past customers would receive the biggest Thank You card with a Photoshop creation I created just for them. Every one of my past customers also become part of my monthly newsletter, filled with games, puzzles, fun, what is new in the industry, offers, many, many, offers. Ideas and concepts that they could do, classes I’m offering, parties I’m planning, shows I’m doing, etc.

If I were driven I would do the totally unexpected, the so far beyond what anyone would do; I would become a legend in my little corner of the world. I would treat every mistake real or imagined as a possibility to do something beyond the realm of good business practices. I would hand deliver it 50 miles away at 10pm if that is what it took to go the extra mile. I would look at mistakes as being the greatest opportunity in the world to do something extraordinary, something that will have people talking for years.

That is what I would do if I was driven, what would you do?

Bill

It takes alot of hard work to make really good money at this business. Taking pretty pictures isn't going to get you far, you have to be 90% business person!!!!!

I believe all of that to be true!

I am coming into this from another perspective of course.I started dabbling in photography after my children had flown the nest. After I retired from 40 years in mental health and education, I had more time to dabble, and one thing led to another. I sold a few prints, gave more away to causes I supported, won some contests, and had a few bought/published. Then I submitted for an endowment grant and got it. Now I'm having to sell myself and a concept to carry out this project. It is stranger and harder than I would have thought, and it's way too soon for me to say how it'll come out.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:50 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:This is a rather old post from a friend Bill Dooling and I have his permission to share:

If I were Driven...

Wow! When would I have time to take photos? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:57 pm

You want to succeed in the portrait industry you need to pound the pavement. :-) One of my best marketing tools is to put my face in front of everyone as often as I can.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:00 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:You want to succeed in the portrait industry you need to pound the pavement. :-) One of my best marketing tools is to put my face in front of everyone as often as I can.

Yank Them In Off The Sidewalk! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Business of Photography”