"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Business of PhotographyBranching out into remote learning

The place for working professionals and enthusiasts to come together and discuss the Business of Photography.
Learn from the pros what it takes to build and maintain a successful professional photography business.
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Branching out into remote learning

Postby Duck » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:35 pm

Thanks guys, and Didereaux, don't worry about the orange. It's pretty tough. ;)

I did another run through last night with a keynote presentation. I definitely learned a few more things. For one, streaming through Join.Me isn't as fluid as I would have hoped. There is a serious refresh issue on the attendee's end. Here's is an overview of how Join.Me works so you'll understand what I mean.

When I start a meeting I can have up to ten people join in a video conference. Meaning, ten people can use their webcams and we can all see each other in these little floating 'bubbles'. The quality is typical webcam quality and the audio is only as good as the originating signal, also typical. The paid version allows up to 50 attendees but not with additional video feeds. They can just interact through audio.

At any point I can turn on screen or program sharing so others see what I want to show them. This is where it starts bogging down. For simple presentations this may be useable but I want to be able to stream higher video quality without a refresh lag. Needless to say, I am liking this program less and less.

Streaming to YouTube or Facebook alleviates that lag (I think) but I don't know if I can have a private "members only" session. Time to do some homework.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:34 am

It would be easy enough to give it a try and grow from there! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby minniev » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:12 pm

This is an interesting discussion. Some thoughts from both the consumer and program development perspectives:

-You were wise to start with your local contacts to build a base, but this approach has excellent potential for expansion.
-The market for online learning is unlimited. I can't see it outgrowing itself anytime soon.
-There's a lot of stuff out there for free, but finding what you personally need is a problem and the process of finding what you need and wasting time with bad offerings is frustrating.
-Most of what is online, including what you pay for, is lecture based. Screenshots are the closest thing you get to interaction. Some have assignments where you send in images and may (or may not) get some feedback later.
-SO - I think there's a niche for a modestly priced, targeted, interactive set of instructional offerings, and it doesn't have to be based on the fame of the instructor. It can be built on the niche itself with good marketing. Marketing is everything.
-Providing some free sessions is one good way to market, once you get your tech delivery plan working to suit you.

I would have gladly paid a moderate fee to learn the ins and outs of Lightroom when I first started. No such courses are available where I live, not even in the colleges. Now, I would gladly pay someone to teach me PS selections. I've actually paid for a course: I watched the guy sit at a desk and tell me how, and put up a few screen shots. But that can't tell me why what I did failed to work, why I got weird results, or what to do next, and I don't know much more than I did before. That's the thing that is missing and why the niche is available for development.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Return to “Business of Photography”