"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Business of PhotographyPricing model when two families are sharing wedding cost

The place for working professionals and enthusiasts to come together and discuss the Business of Photography.
Learn from the pros what it takes to build and maintain a successful professional photography business.
hsandler
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Pricing model when two families are sharing wedding cost

Postby hsandler » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:57 am

I am doing a large wedding with the groom's family coming from across the continent. The bride's mother who has retained me asks about a plan whereby each mother and the couple can order their own album and prints. My normal pricing is packages of a certain number of images. But I would feel uncomfortable "reselling" the same image if say, the bride and her mom each order it.

Any tips from the old pros on this situation which must come up often?

Steven G Webb
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Pricing model when two families are sharing wedding cost

Postby Steven G Webb » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:15 am

My first suggestion is that you get over that feeling. When you sell a photographic print you are selling a limited license to display that single photo for personal use. If someone else wants the privilege of displaying a duplicate of that photo they too should be expected to pay the license fee. It is not at all uncommon for photographers to offer a mother's album in addition to the bride's album many times those secondary albums are smaller in size but otherwise duplicate the bride's album in order to keep design considerations in check. Gift print sales are also a standard secondary income stream for many photographers.

Sell to the bride and groom what ever they personally want, then sell to the parents or members of the bridal party what ever they may want to buy. It's okay to have a primary client and secondary ones.
If you've never failed you've never tried.
Holly Ridge Photography
Facebook

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Pricing model when two families are sharing wedding cost

Postby Duck » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:01 pm

Steven has it right, you need to get over that over protection of your images. Remember what you are being asked to do; memorializing an emotional celebration in images and then creating a product by which those memories can be shared. This offers you a unique opportunity to gain money on two levels; charging for your time for the service and charging for an end product. That end product being prints, albums and whatever else those images can be printed on. By saying you only do one album is selling yourself short.

Think of it this way; an auto company builds cars but since they are so proud of their design they only produce and sell one car. sure, they can sell it at a price that will cover costs but why not put the extra effort in creating a bunch of cars they can sell to others?

Wedding photos are not exclusive to just the bride (or her mother). They are meant to be shared with family and friends so why not profit from it. It's not like you can make additional income from those images. The lifespan of wedding images (at most) may be up to a year after the event. After that they become just data taking up room on a hard drive. If you're lucky someone will ask for a print or two but the bulk of your sales will be the pre-orders for prints and albums. Take advantage of that.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Business of Photography”