"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Business of PhotographyFears in moving forward

The place for working professionals and enthusiasts to come together and discuss the Business of Photography.
Learn from the pros what it takes to build and maintain a successful professional photography business.
Steven G Webb
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Fears in moving forward

Postby Steven G Webb » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:35 am

Best wishes on your endeavor. Please keep us updated with your progress. Your story is inspiring to me.
If you've never failed you've never tried.
Holly Ridge Photography
Facebook

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:10 pm

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we went ahead and rented out a space on the third floor. Here are a couple of shots of what the space currently looks like. Obviously it needs work. Floors need sanding, walls need painting... the typical stuff.

Studio1.jpg
Studio - entrance side

This image shows the main door into the space from the hallway. To the left will be one large shooting station and to the right will be the second, smaller station. Since the left station is pushed into a corner I will be make it flexible so we can shoot against either wall. At far left is a white painted brick wall. I'll look to see how difficult it will be to strip the paint off. If it's viable I would love a plain brickface. If not... oh well. The second wall I'll paint bright white. At the second station I'm thinking 18% gray. :D

Studio2.jpg
Studio - far side

The far side of the room has these gorgeous windows. While it would be nice to have a station there to capture the natural light I still have to keep in mind that this space is being shared with two others. To the left you can make out some existing racks that will be redone. We're looking to put some editing stations there. To the right is an existing sink (kitchen area) that we'll keep as a lounge area. Coffee maker, small fridge, etc.

I want to check out our local hotel liquidator for some storage cabinets. I think maybe some of those large dresser armoires will serve nicely. They will also act as room dividers. Overall, we're looking to keep a large section open as flex space for both photo and video production. Speaking of video production... I'm looking to set up a permanent set for doing educational videos. I have a full Lightroom curriculum I'm looking to put to video. That'll be an ongoing project.

Anyhow, things are slowly progressing. My tattoo business will be closed between Xmas and New Year so I'm hoping to get in to do the floors during that down time. Maybe even get the painting done as well. Then there's all the other stuff of setting up a studio. Both exciting and foreboding.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby TomCofer » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:49 am

Hang in there Duck. You can do it!
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Ed Shapiro
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Ed Shapiro » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:38 am

Duck!

The space looks awesome! I can envision it after the floor is scraped, perhaps stained and varnished and after the paint job is done.

I like a real brick wall too- one of the places I rented, some years ago had a painted over brick wall. I removed the paint with a gelled stripper made by 3-M. Afterward, I had I guy come in who treated it with acid to get all the residual dirt and paint off. I then coated it with a matte finished Verithane. It had a nice rustic look and gave the room a warm feel. The varnish sealed in the dust- the place was 90 years old at the time.

When I think back to fixing up old buildings, sometimes I think I was a glutton for punishment but I always found it to be great fun. The best part was accomplishing the project and setting things up exactly how I wanted it and having space to work.

All the best! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Ed

cyclohexane
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby cyclohexane » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:19 pm

Can't wait to see how that space evolves, Duck. :)
-Michael
Find me on the web: Michael Chen Photo |Blog ("coming soon" since before the dinosaurs roamed the Earth)|SportsShooter | California Wildlife

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:02 pm

TomCofer wrote:Hang in there Duck. You can do it!

Thanks. With some holiday down time I'm hoping to get the floors done (at the least) and maybe some painting.

Ed Shapiro wrote:Duck!

The space looks awesome! I can envision it after the floor is scraped, perhaps stained and varnished and after the paint job is done.

I like a real brick wall too- one of the places I rented, some years ago had a painted over brick wall. I removed the paint with a gelled stripper made by 3-M. Afterward, I had I guy come in who treated it with acid to get all the residual dirt and paint off. I then coated it with a matte finished Verithane. It had a nice rustic look and gave the room a warm feel. The varnish sealed in the dust- the place was 90 years old at the time.

When I think back to fixing up old buildings, sometimes I think I was a glutton for punishment but I always found it to be great fun. The best part was accomplishing the project and setting things up exactly how I wanted it and having space to work.

All the best! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Ed

I think I'm a glutton also, but I share the same sentiments as you about old buildings. There is a certain charm to them you can't replicate in a new structure.

As for the brick refacing... I hadn't thought of using a chemical stripper. For some reason I was thinking sandblasting because it's brick. A chemical strip may be far more feasible and less expensive. Thanks for the advice.

cyclohexane wrote:Can't wait to see how that space evolves, Duck. :)

Same here. It's one thing having a conceptual vision in one's head, but another when it actually becomes reality. We'll see how close the two match in the end. ;)

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:31 am

Well, my fears are beginning to diminish in leaps and bounds.

Tomorrow we are getting the floors a much needed refinishing. Step one before being able to move any furniture in. Unfortunately the holiday season did not allow us to do anything major in the new studio. However there has been some accidental networking. By accidental I mean it was a natural occurrence in the back and forth flow of conversation.

As I mentioned, I am going to be sharing the space with an audio engineer and a videographer. We have not yet begun moving into the space but I have been talking to people about my intentions during regular conversations. The natural curiosity is why would I want to open a photo studio if I already have a tattoo studio. Natural question and one I'm happy to discuss. Once they find out the what and why people seem to get it. Here's where it gets interesting and where it start allaying my fears.

A neighboring business asked if we (collectively as a trio) do commercials. He is interested in promoting his business online through social media and is thinking of creating a short commercial he can post as needed. With our collective backgrounds and experience a project like that would be a piece of cake.

I mentioned this encounter to another acquaintance of mine in passing and he pipes up that he has a friend who owns a small business and that would be ideal for him. Hmm...

Fast forward two weeks and another conversation today with a guy from the marketing department of Pitney Bowes perked up his ears. Not only can he use our services but he has a friend who has a thriving 3D printing and prototyping company who would be very interested in our services as well.

So...

We're not yet operational and we are already starting to get these great business leads. I can't describe how good it feels to hear this kind of talk. I have never gone into a business cold before. For me it has always been a natural extension from one state to another. With my graphic design (eons ago) it was from working for someone else to gaining some sound leads and customers before branching out on my own. I moved into self employment that already came with customers. The same was true with my tattoo business. I had built a strong following before I ever opened up my own shop. The photography business is the only one where I do not have a large client base already in place. I have a large student base but I can't rely on that to survive.

However, as I am quickly finding out, I have a large network base to use as a resource and that may prove to be far more valuable than I originally gave it credit for. So, on top of illustrator, piercer, photographer and graphic designer I'll be adding on the title of art director. Who knows.

Anyhow, in three day's time we'll have the floors finished in the new place. Then we'll do some painting and minor carpentry work. Once that's done it's moving in furniture, equipment and getting things organized.

On a side note; I am looking to set up a small corner of the studio with a semi-permanent video stage for me to record Lightroom tutorials. I am looking to put my Lightroom Intensive curriculum on video. I'll post some as they get produced. I've been getting my notes together these past two weeks in preparation for filming. Which is another learning step for me.

And if that's not enough... I'm heading back to college this spring semester to take a class on digital painting. :doh:

Well, that's it for this update.

Steven G Webb
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Postby Steven G Webb » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:58 am

Fantastic news! I'm really happy for you. Keep plugging along, sounds like you're fast picking up that much needed traction.
If you've never failed you've never tried.
Holly Ridge Photography
Facebook

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby TomCofer » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:10 pm

I'm glad to hear that it's falling into place for you Duck.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:24 pm

Steven G Webb wrote:Fantastic news! I'm really happy for you. Keep plugging along, sounds like you're fast picking up that much needed traction.

TomCofer wrote:I'm glad to hear that it's falling into place for you Duck.

Thanks guys. Of course I have to point out that while we three are sharing a rent we have never really worked together on any project. Once we're settled in I want to put together a small project we can collaborate on to see how we mesh.

Return to “Business of Photography”