"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Business of PhotographyEvent Photography Sales Avenues

The place for working professionals and enthusiasts to come together and discuss the Business of Photography.
Learn from the pros what it takes to build and maintain a successful professional photography business.
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Event Photography Sales Avenues

Postby Duck » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:52 pm

Unfortunately I don't have contact with the trade mags. My writing experience was with two local newspapers in my community. I will likely be cold contacting the magazines directly.
As for representation, my studio is involved with this event (I am supplying two of the piercers) so I'm getting press in that respect.
In a couple of weeks a local photojournalist will be doing a lecture for a local camera club. I signed up to attend so I'll see if I can corner him after the lecture and ask him some questions.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby Didereaux » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:42 pm

Duck,
Did you do this event? How did it turn out. I wish I had been here back then, I think I could have given you a good idea. Well, better late than never. If you are going to do an event 'on prospect' your own, as a photographer the first thing you need to do is to tie up with a freelance writer. Together you can then present a proposed article to several (hopefully) editors. Chasing about after an event is usually futile as time kills the relevancy of most such things. Not all of them to be sure, but most.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:56 pm

Thanks for the input. As it was, the event went bust. The performer I was supposed to photograph turned out to be a real flake and I came to dislike him more and more as the date came closer. In the end I bid him good luck and we went our separate ways.

As for teaming up, I am a decent writer myself and would have taken on the dual role of writer and photog. While I have had articles published locally I have never dealt with a national publication and that would have been a new experience for me. Eh, maybe someday soon another opportunity will arise.

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Didereaux » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:06 am

Duck wrote:Thanks for the input. As it was, the event went bust. The performer I was supposed to photograph turned out to be a real flake and I came to dislike him more and more as the date came closer. In the end I bid him good luck and we went our separate ways.

As for teaming up, I am a decent writer myself and would have taken on the dual role of writer and photog. While I have had articles published locally I have never dealt with a national publication and that would have been a new experience for me. Eh, maybe someday soon another opportunity will arise.

It's not a good idea to go it alone write/pics with out having something already to show. No different than have a good portfolio. Find a writer with some by-lines. When the two of you get published a couple times then you have something to show. Also you will learn how editors want a proposal presented to them. Any unknowns that do not follow the script are rejected without a reading. Those are facts.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:07 am

Didereaux wrote:...Any unknowns that do not follow the script are rejected without a reading. Those are facts.

Ain't that the truth!

cyclohexane
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby cyclohexane » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:35 pm

Duck wrote:If I decide not to participate and instead act as documentarian, how can I monetize the images? I have always been a 'gun for hire' photographer and have no experience shooting on prospect. How does one go looking for potential buyers of this type of event? More importantly, should I start trying to sell these images in advance (I'm thinking maybe tattoo magazines) or wait until after the event?

I'm way late to the party here, but...

Shooting on speculation = don't bother.

Seriously, save the wear and tear on your equipment and your time and spend it doing something else. If you couldn't book it as a job in advance, unless it's some kind of breaking news event with no advance notice (think train wreck), you're not moving them for any money afterwards. The only people coming to you will want a free handout.
-Michael
Find me on the web: Michael Chen Photo |Blog ("coming soon" since before the dinosaurs roamed the Earth)|SportsShooter | California Wildlife

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:55 pm

The more I look into it, the more I realize the game has drastically changed in the past couple decades. It's a wonder any writer can even make it in the profession the way it is. And here we thought the photography business was bad...

Return to “Business of Photography”