"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Business of PhotographyEvent Photography Sales Avenues

The place for working professionals and enthusiasts to come together and discuss the Business of Photography.
Learn from the pros what it takes to build and maintain a successful professional photography business.
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Event Photography Sales Avenues

Postby Duck » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:26 am

A friend/customer of my other artist at my tattoo shop is looking to break a personal record of the most number of piercings in a single hour. He is looking to be at about 1,200 needles. He is scheduled to do this at the Steampunk World's Fair in May of next year in New Jersey as he is a scheduled performer there. He needs four piercers, two are my employees, one is another of his friend and he asked me to be the fourth. As much as I would love to do this, I thought I would rather be the official photographer for this event (am I sick to turn this down or what?). He's also looking to televise this and would like Guinness to accredit the event (though that may not happen as they are stepping away form 'dangerous' acts). If I take my camera instead of piercing needles I will have unlimited access to the event (on stage) and I can probably ask for sole access too (aside from the video guys).

So, my question here is this. If I decide not to participate and instead act as documentarian, how can I monetize the images? I have always been a 'gun for hire' photographer and have no experience shooting on prospect. How does one go looking for potential buyers of this type of event? More importantly, should I start trying to sell these images in advance (I'm thinking maybe tattoo magazines) or wait until after the event?

Guidance and suggestions is appreciated from anyone who's had some experience in this.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Event Photography Sales Avenues

Postby TomCofer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:31 am

I can't be much help for you here Duck, but it sounds like a fun event to shoot.

You may be able to generate some additional income by selling photos to the folks who are getting the piercings. Some may enjoy photos of their expressions/reactions of getting the piercings.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:58 pm

Well, it's only one person getting pierced and he's a friend of ours so...
I'll have to do some research to find out who the editors are of some of the body art magazines are and see if I can pitch them an article or at least photos from the event.

If anyone knows what the going rate for magazine photos are, I'd like some input. Thanks.

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby TomCofer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:39 pm

Duck wrote:Well, it's only one person getting pierced and he's a friend of ours so...
I'll have to do some research to find out who the editors are of some of the body art magazines are and see if I can pitch them an article or at least photos from the event.

If anyone knows what the going rate for magazine photos are, I'd like some input. Thanks.

:oops: :D Guess I was reading too quickly again! I was reading it as he was doing that many piercings to others in a single hour! :wall:
But hey, you never know. He may want a shot of each piercing. :)
Really would like to know how this all goes for you. Hope we get to see a photo or two here too.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Onslow » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:11 am

Sorry Duck, I'm following this with interest. No experience with this...

Ed Shapiro
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Ed Shapiro » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:13 am

Hi Duck! Nice to see you here as well as your great graphics!

I can understand why you may be kinda between the proverbial rock and a hard place in that you have more than on professional business along with the various associations accompanying each of them. If you opt to take on the JOB of official photographer, I am sure the folks on the piercing side of your endeavors will appreciate that you have a professional photography business to consider as well and you need to do work and create profits for your photography enterprise. As a strictly business consideration, if you are paid a fee to somewhat compensate for your time and efforts and perhaps yield a modest to better profit- it may be to your advantage to accept the gig as documentarian. If you don’t receive some money and have not made editorial contacts before the shoot, you are working strictly on speculation which can be somewhat disappointing, especially if a lot of time and hard work is involved in the shoot. It’s hard to determine a random fee schedule for this kind of work if I am not aware of your overheads, business expenses and your required profit margins- that’s how I determine my own. Perhaps you can base them on your time charges for your commercial photography business or even your tattoo business- your professional and fine workmanship have to be considered in you fees. By the way- I have no policies or objections against working on speculation but I try to gage the potential from past experiences, the scope of the job that needs to be invested in time or out-of-pocket expenses. I do like to stack the odds in my favor, business wise, by checking out some avenues of sales in advance.

If you shoot the job, even at a nominal rate, you may have an opportunity to make many new contacts for your photography business and meet others in the tattoo or piercing industry who may wish to avail themselves of your photographic services. After all- you know the ins and outs of their profession and you can better serve them as a photographer than someone else who is not as familiar with the aesthetics of their crafts.

Appearing on a panel at one of theses events may have some prestige or business advantages as well but I can’t advise your there because I don’t know how networking goes on in that industry.

I have only one business and it’s all photography but I am still a “hired gun” for most of my clients- I work at their pleasure and provide them with their requirements- hopefully and thankfully, I get to inject my own creative input in many cases.

I hope this helps! I am looking forward to more collaboration with you, on this new forum, in the months ahead!

Ed :)

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Onslow » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:23 am

Ed, trying to develop a new niche then would you consider it worthwhile to do some work at a loss looking towards building the contacts within that circle? I am not saying do it for free but perhaps an hrly rate and relinquish copyright as opposed to shooting and selling individual images?

Ed Shapiro
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Ed Shapiro » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:34 am

Onslow Great question because it is a very important issue that concerns many photographers that are trying to expand their businesses in new markets. One of the most difficult circumstances I have seen in the business end of out craft is photographers trying to bring their prices up to a profitable level after having taking on jobs for very low introductory prices or free of charge.

The only way I can justify that kind of thing is where you receive a benefit in return. As an example: When I started in the food photography business I offered to do some advertising work for a few local restaurateurs and caterers in order to amass a decent portfolio. In return for my labor and materials, I received the services of the chefs in preparing an assortment of attractive foods that were just right for photography. No money changed hands but the restaurateurs and I were quite satisfied that we got good value in the exchange.

Another policy I observe is that I am going to offer any kind of deal, such as the one I have alluded to, I have to be the one to initiate the project. I don’t mind speculating on certain deals as long as I remain somewhat in control and I can see a fair and reasonable benefit to all parties. I have had many people come to me in both my commercial and portrait/wedding fields and ask me for a big discount or a freebee in return for their sending me all of their friends and/or business associates. Yes! They will send them in but you can bet that all of them will ask you for a big discount or a freebee! Good news travels fast, even if it is bad new for your business!

I hope this helps!

Ed :)

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:53 am

Thanks for the feedback Ed.

So the particulars are this. I am not being paid by the guy trying to break the record. Originally I was asked to be a participant as one of the piercers. The photographer in me saw this as a possible avenue for both promoting myself as a photographer and to make some money by selling images to potential publishers. I have written articles for a couple of local papers in the past but they have been in trade for advertising space. Barter is good in my opinion but it leaves me ignorant of current rates.

As I will have unencumbered access in and around the event I feel it puts me in a better position than anyone else that may be covering the venue. This gives me the opportunity to either sell individual images to augment any article written by any magazine or newspaper covering the event or to provide a written article with images for publication. In my industry there are a ton of magazines I can contact but as I have never done this I thought I'd post for some suggestions.

Hope this answers some questions anyone may have.

Ed Shapiro
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Ed Shapiro » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:16 pm

Duck! Thanks for the feedback! It should like a great shooting and networking opportunity, especially since you already have connections with the trade publications where you have published articles.

As per the sale of prints: A good sales approach to exhibitors might be that since you are the official photographer for the event, they do not have to pay you for your shooting and travel time and the charges will be only for the prints. Then you will need to come up with a price for prints that will yield a profit- the price, however, has to include some of your time. I would also suggest that you pass out some of your literature to everyone you speak with. If you can somehow set up a booth or a display panel with some of your photograph having to do with body art and piercing; that would be a great way of generating future business as well as some on site requests.

Much success with this project

Ed

Return to “Business of Photography”