"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." —Mark Twain

Business of PhotographyProp collecting is a sickness

The place for working professionals and enthusiasts to come together and discuss the Business of Photography.
Learn from the pros what it takes to build and maintain a successful professional photography business.
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Prop collecting is a sickness

Postby Duck » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:12 am

It doesn't matter if you are a portrait photographer, a still life photographer or a commercial product photographer, props are an essential part of your world. For the most part props are purchased on an "as needed" basis. Other times it's when opportunity presents itself.

I have come to a point in my career that I subconsciously keep an eye out for items that may be useful as a prop. The funny thing is I never know when or where I'll find them, or what, for that matter.

Recently I was at the supermarket and I happened to walk past a shelf loaded up with those classic mass produced Coca-Cola glasses. As they were on sale and I could always use glasses like these I decided to pick up a set of four... and here is where the sickness starts.

I picked up a couple and was ready to just place them into my basket when I noticed a defect on the lip of one of the glasses. It was just a little excess of glass that made a noticeable lump on the lip of the glass. "This is no good," I thought to myself. That'll never photograph well. Then I noticed the seam line on the other glass. A very hard and very obvious seam line where the two halves of the mold come together in manufacturing. While I could not avoid a seam I could find glasses with a minimized seam. That's when it started.

I went through every single glass on that shelf looking for a set of four "suitable for photography" drinking glasses. Out of about forty glasses I came away with the best four of the bunch. Anyone watching me would have thought I had some kind of obsessive compulsive disorder, picking up one glass after the other, comparing it with the next, dismissing them on forensic fashion.

Here are a few criteria to judge whether you should buy a prop, in no particular order;
  • Will you use that prop, either immediately or in the near future? The more use you get out of a prop the higher the return on your investment. Simple math.
  • Is it a rare item that is difficult to acquire? If you are in a position to ever use that prop but will find it hard to acquire later it makes sense to grab it when opportunity presents itself.
  • Is the price to good to refuse? Sometimes even items that won't get too much use are worth getting if they are bought at a significant savings.
The good thing is that I now have four decent Coca-Cola glasses. Since I photograph food I can now deliver that classic Coke shot without a last minute scramble for that glass and that's what you need to consider when prop shopping. Don't buy something just because. If there is a need, if it is a unique item or if it's a bargain of a lifetime, grab it. But if it's something that is readily available at any time, get it as you need it. While my need wasn't immediate it is a possibility because of the nature of my work. While not rare, they are sometimes hard to find and, lastly, they were on sale for super cheap. So even if I don't use them too often, the return on my investment was worth the purchase.

So what have been some of your most unusual prop purchases? Was it worth it? Share your crazy prop gathering sickness stories here.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Prop collecting is a sickness

Postby minniev » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:05 am

Since I am neither commercial nor still life photographer, I have never bought a prop (unless you could count a big black cloth that I used to shoot baby pictures of my grandsons). But I still enjoyed your story thoroughly, and can relate since I collect odd graphic files for playing with photoshop - backgrounds, textures, vector art, some of which are definitely in the odd category.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:08 am

Duck wrote:...
So what have been some of your most unusual prop purchases? Was it worth it? Share your crazy prop gathering sickness stories here.

My props when I tried were limited to finding the best leaf in a series to include in a water shot, but even then I understand the sickness! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Ceropegia » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:46 am

I, too, can relate. While I don't collect props, I do collect stuff, so I can understand the obsession with finding the best of a bunch. On many occasions, I have also gone through an entire display shelf to find the "best one". If it something I am going to display in my house, I want it to be as good as it can be. BTW, if the glasses have a white Coke logo, you probably shouldn't put them in a dishwasher. Over time the logos will probably wear thin.
Martha
In the Appalachian foothills of Northeast Alabama

http://www.ipernity.com/home/picture_taker

LindaShorey
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby LindaShorey » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:41 pm

Loved the story! I've never purchased an item to use as a prop, so don't have a tale to share. However, regarding Steve's "perfect leaf" quest, I did bring home from the arboretum an ultra-perfect leaf once, thinking I'd do a close-up shot later, only to find on closer inspection that it was silk :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:45 pm

I've made the mistake of purchasing props that weight a ton. I don't move them very often. ;-)
Today is the Day, a New Day.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:17 pm

Thanks for the comments folks. As stated, you don't need to be prop collecting to understand this sickness. Any hobbyist can relate.

Ceropegia wrote:I, too, can relate. While I don't collect props, I do collect stuff, so I can understand the obsession with finding the best of a bunch. On many occasions, I have also gone through an entire display shelf to find the "best one". If it something I am going to display in my house, I want it to be as good as it can be. BTW, if the glasses have a white Coke logo, you probably shouldn't put them in a dishwasher. Over time the logos will probably wear thin.

Thanks for the tip. These glasses just have a raised logo with no ink so it's all good. :thumbup:

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:18 pm

LindaShorey wrote:...I did bring home from the arboretum an ultra-perfect leaf [...] only to find on closer inspection that it was silk :)

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:I've made the mistake of purchasing props that weight a ton. I don't move them very often. ;-)

DOH! :wall:

brucealan
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby brucealan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:48 am

Love this story very much. Very healthy and realistic information.

Return to “Business of Photography”