"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

General DiscussionsHow do you look after your staff?

Open Forum - This is the official "any-topic" portion of the site. Stop in, say "hello", comment on photo or non-photo related topics, vent your frustrations or just chill out. The choice is yours.
pop511
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

How do you look after your staff?

Postby pop511 » Mon May 15, 2017 11:54 pm

A fellow student at college was lucky enough to start his own business, and when he told me he needed help for a wedding, I was too pleased to help, with further assistance from another student we knew.
Told that he wouldn't be earning much so no pay for us. That's cool.
Got to the brides house about 9.30am and started. Received lunch from her family about 11.0am. After, we followed bride and groom to a park for more shots. Then we went back to the studio for a 2 hour break.
Back to wedding reception and kept working till about 10.30pm. Then told " Hurry up and eat something, I want you back ". then I'll send the other guy. So I packed my gear and walked out.
Attached picture:
My 'boss' was using video at this time, so no flash. I've always kept pics from the wedding if only to remind myself the one great lesson from the day.
Don't be arrogant. Look after your staff and they will look after you.
Comments?
ed
Attachments
Jenny&Andrew.jpg
Jenny&Andrew.jpg (271.3 KiB) Viewed 611 times
ed davis

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Re: How do you look after your staff?

Postby Didereaux » Tue May 16, 2017 12:21 am

Yep! Totally agree.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue May 16, 2017 12:52 pm

As to the question, apart from my long-suffering wife ("The Lady in the Spangled Tights") I never had staff. We ran our business as a Mom 'n' Pop, which is no doubt one reason we ultimately failed, but neither of us knew enough to want to risk having to supervise and pay other people. Daphne never took a single picture but she worked every bit as hard as I did, schlepping bags, carrying a second radio-triggered light on a monopod as a rapidly re-deployable light stand, keeping the shot list, driving the car from home to church while I reloaded, doing it again from church to reception... If it was a 10-hour wedding she was there throughout. She was my right arm and left leg. If something went wrong she "vamped" to keep the clients distracted (spangled tights) while I literally sweated out a problem. I hope I treated her as the full time essential partner she was.

Maybe off topic, I love that picture, Ed. I honestly think that even a minimal fill would have ruined the mood, and that picture is all about mood. I'm assuming it's a First Dance with a DJ with a fog machine and gelled lights. There is detail everywhere. The veil is not blown yet there's both of their expressions in the deep shadow. What a shot! :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

pop511
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Postby pop511 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:28 am

Charles;
You certainly did things the hard way. I wish my wife was like that. Not interested.

First waltz, first dance or is it these days A quick shuffle.
Canon 1dsMk2
Manual/ ISO 1000/ F2.8/ 70mm/ 1/40 sec and luck...hehe
ed
ed davis

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Wed May 17, 2017 8:37 pm

pop511 wrote:A fellow student at college was lucky enough to start his own business, and when he told me he needed help for a wedding, I was too pleased to help, with further assistance from another student we knew.
Told that he wouldn't be earning much so no pay for us. That's cool.
Got to the brides house about 9.30am and started. Received lunch from her family about 11.0am. After, we followed bride and groom to a park for more shots. Then we went back to the studio for a 2 hour break.
Back to wedding reception and kept working till about 10.30pm. Then told " Hurry up and eat something, I want you back ". then I'll send the other guy. So I packed my gear and walked out.
Attached picture:
My 'boss' was using video at this time, so no flash. I've always kept pics from the wedding if only to remind myself the one great lesson from the day.
Don't be arrogant. Look after your staff and they will look after you.
Comments?
ed

I'm retired and have no staff any more but when I did I took good care of them, and consequently I had people who would follow me into whatever firestorm I decided we needed to tackle, and make it work. Loyalty is based on a sense of mutual respect and trust.

I find the same to be true for photography forums. If we develop this one to the point we want, it will be because we all worked together to do it, taking care of one another and showing consideration at the same time we offer a helping hand.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

pop511
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Postby pop511 » Thu May 18, 2017 12:35 pm

How true. Any forum is only as good as it's members and paternal or maternal approach of it's admin staff.
In saying that I wish more of the admins would participate more.
ed davis

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat May 20, 2017 3:53 am

pop511 wrote:How true. Any forum is only as good as it's members and paternal or maternal approach of it's admin staff.
In saying that I wish more of the admins would participate more.

Duck and I are the Admins at present with a few Moderators thrown in. We're still growing though and it will come! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat May 20, 2017 4:04 am

I'm a contractor and at times work with other contractors so I don't have staff, but I've been lucky enough to have worked with people all my life I respect for the very reason they take care of their own. My boss in the military was just as much my dad as my own, and almost every boss I've every had has played a little part in my life, molding and shaping it by setting the example. It's such a given to me now that I didn't understand your post at first, but it only makes sense.

If you take care of your staff they will take care of you. It reminds me of something I heard once, The Golden Rule or something like that...!

Thank you for bringing this up and I hope we can all do the same in every part of our lives! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “General Discussions”