"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Critic's CornerKings Bear

Non-human subjects of any description; birds, insects, mammals, fish, domestics... it's all fair game.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Kings Bear

Postby St3v3M » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:54 pm

With an opening in my schedule and the mountains calling I found my way 'home' to all that I love. There are many, but there are two stories I'll share.

On my way to the Tokopah Falls I was at the shuttle stop and noticed some movement in the woods. It was a bear, young, maybe one-hundred fifty pounds. I calmed the waiting tourists but something said I should inform the Ranger so I set off to the kiosk to let him know. He was in the middle of a conversation but the moment I said bear we were off. I've run into the children of the forest so I was happy to help point her out and help the Ranger take a video log. The shuttle arrived, and seconds after Bear Management so I decided to stay and help. My parents had been Bear Techs years back so I knew the drill. As it turns out this was a 'problem' bear known as B17. She was about five at one-hundred forty pounds and had recently taken some M&M's from a camper's tent. It seems a seventeen-year-old girl went to sleep with a bag of M&Ms in her tent. Sometime that night B17 slit the tent, took the bag, and made off without anyone noticing. B17 was on 'The Watch List' and they were desperate to keep her safe for the rest of season. Long story short, the Bear Tech later told me he tracked her based on what I gave them and tracked her to a meadow. They shot her in the butt six times with rubber bullets and hoped the sting would help her find her way away from the easy food campers provide. It's sad but A Fed Bear Is A Dead Bear.

The next day we went to Kings Canyon and stopped at End Of The Road to check out the Wilderness Station. There were two John Muir Trail hikers, and having been I started asking them some questions. How were the trail conditions this year, what was your favorite thing, were there any difficutlties, etc. I learn a lot from others on the trail and always like to know what works and what doesn't. Somewhere the conversation led to them saying they were sad they hadn't seen a bear, and on cue as if it were planned I looked over their shoulders and said Like That One? There was Kings Bear walking across the trail heading toward the back country. Like B17 she was young, probably three to five years old, about one hundred and fifty pounds, but a different coloration. More tan and black than the classic black we are accustom to. I ran to the car, switched lenses, and ran down the trail after her. I've been around blacks most of my life so I know the rules, and with a deep respect for them, I kept my distance. It wasn't easy getting a shot, but she stopped for just a minute and posed for me. Such a beautiful bear!

Kings Bear is a last second capture while visiting Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks.
- Brutal honesty is best! S-
Attachments
IMG_0819-4f.jpg
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Psjunkie
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Re: Kings Bear

Postby Psjunkie » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:13 pm

Absolutely a great image all the way around Steve, your really learning your stuff...seems like you hang around photo forums picking up tips....

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Duck » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:15 pm

The photo is nice.

The photo with the story, however, is engaging.

Some photos stand on their own, others work better in tandem with a story. This is such image. Thanks for the illustrated story. :thumbup:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

rmalarz
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby rmalarz » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:45 am

Great story and photograph, St3v3. I'm glad you were able to get some free time and make good use of it.
--Bob
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:23 am

Psjunkie wrote:Absolutely a great image all the way around Steve, your really learning your stuff...seems like you hang around photo forums picking up tips....

I listen and I learn. Thank you so much! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:24 am

Duck wrote:The photo is nice.

The photo with the story, however, is engaging.

Some photos stand on their own, others work better in tandem with a story. This is such image. Thanks for the illustrated story. :thumbup:

I've been 'fighting' with this image for awhile now, looking for that something that would make it whole. Any ideas? S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:25 am

rmalarz wrote:Great story and photograph, St3v3. I'm glad you were able to get some free time and make good use of it.
--Bob

I have an odd job so when I have a chance I run for the hills. Bears are always a welcome sight! Thank you so much! S-

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:56 pm

St3v3M wrote:I've been 'fighting' with this image for awhile now, looking for that something that would make it whole. Any ideas? S-

I can't think of anything other than in combination with a story. The narrative supports the image and vice versa.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:58 pm

Duck wrote:
St3v3M wrote:I've been 'fighting' with this image for awhile now, looking for that something that would make it whole. Any ideas? S-

I can't think of anything other than in combination with a story. The narrative supports the image and vice versa.

Appreciate! S-

davechinn
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Postby davechinn » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:26 pm

Steve, I really enjoyed reading the storyline to this fabulous image. This sorta thing reminds me that there is a reason for everything. However, we may not know the reason or never know, but in this case we do know. That's what makes the story and photo so fabulous, IMO. The story doesn't take away from the image, but the story certainly adds to it. A job well done on all accounts.
Dave

Return to “Animals & Wildlife”