"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Critic's CornerBald Eagle

Non-human subjects of any description; birds, insects, mammals, fish, domestics... it's all fair game.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
WingShooter
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Bald Eagle

Postby WingShooter » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:29 pm

Bald Eagle resting on the edge of the National Elk Refuge near Jackson, Wy.

Date Taken: May 1, 2017
Date Uploaded: Sep 10, 2017
Camera: D500
Focal Length: 420 mm
Shutter Speed: 1/1600 sec
Aperture: f/7.1
ISO: 560
Copyright: © John Corso
Attachments
Jackson Hole Bald Eagle.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Bald Eagle

Postby Psjunkie » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:59 pm

John I think the eagle is excellent but the background needs to look like something other than soft brushed mustard.....for me it's just looking fake or something if that makes sense...

WingShooter
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus

Postby WingShooter » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:43 pm

Jackson, Wy in April/May is loaded with a tree that was yellow branches and it looked to be some type of willow. There where large groups of these trees together all leafless but from a distant they look like fall color. The bark on the new branches are a mustard yellow and the trees a very dense new long hanging branches. I tried my best to find a landscape scene using these trees but nothing I liked was to be found. The visitor center on the edge of Jackson has a elevated deck looking into a marsh in the elk refuge with excellent vantage point to shoot waterfowl, song birds and eagles and lots of those leafless yellow mustard looking tress.

Psjunkie wrote:John I think the eagle is excellent but the background needs to look like something other than soft brushed mustard.....for me it's just looking fake or something if that makes sense...

Psjunkie
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby Psjunkie » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:04 pm

John you know I love your image I just think the background needs a touch more definition of some kind...not sure how to explain it as I already did a poor job of that...the color is not what I find off about it...it is your vision that counts though...

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:01 pm

He's a gorgeous bird and you captured him well. Like Frank, I might prefer some more definition in the background to be able to see more environmental context. But for a formal portrait of a regal bird isolated from all but the color of the background, it's a grand one.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

WingShooter
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus

Postby WingShooter » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:15 pm

I was shooting down as I was a little above the eagle. This is not normal for a flat lander like me.

minniev wrote:He's a gorgeous bird and you captured him well. Like Frank, I might prefer some more definition in the background to be able to see more environmental context. But for a formal portrait of a regal bird isolated from all but the color of the background, it's a grand one.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:28 am

There are several 'problems' with this image. It feels like sacrilege to even say that, but I may be able to explain.

The main is the background, and it comes down to the apparent depth of field. It's so flat it's almost like it's not there, or was done on a studio background and is flat, flat, flat. It's not a bad thing and I like the painterly quality it presents, but like most images we want the background story to compliment the main character where in this case it 'should' be leaves or something like it. The other 'problem' is the color, which there's nothing you can do about. The 'problem' isn't so much the color though as much as the lack of contrasting colors we've come to expect. So is there anything really wrong with this image, no, other than our expectations.

I love this image, but I will say the depth of field is so strong it appears the eagle is a cutout. It so sharp, and the background so soft, it feels rather harsh.

I love this image and would be proud to hang it on my wall. Wow! I keep looking at it in a square crop, and love it so! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

WingShooter
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus

Postby WingShooter » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:11 pm

Thanks for the input and tend to agree with you on the background. I need to spend a about a month just taking images of the Tetons and the wildlife.

St3v3M wrote:There are several 'problems' with this image. It feels like sacrilege to even say that, but I may be able to explain.

The main is the background, and it comes down to the apparent depth of field. It's so flat it's almost like it's not there, or was done on a studio background and is flat, flat, flat. It's not a bad thing and I like the painterly quality it presents, but like most images we want the background story to compliment the main character where in this case it 'should' be leaves or something like it. The other 'problem' is the color, which there's nothing you can do about. The 'problem' isn't so much the color though as much as the lack of contrasting colors we've come to expect. So is there anything really wrong with this image, no, other than our expectations.

I love this image, but I will say the depth of field is so strong it appears the eagle is a cutout. It so sharp, and the background so soft, it feels rather harsh.

I love this image and would be proud to hang it on my wall. Wow! I keep looking at it in a square crop, and love it so! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:00 am

WingShooter wrote:Thanks for the input and tend to agree with you on the background. I need to spend a about a month just taking images of the Tetons and the wildlife.

Please know I would proudly hang this if I had taken it, but the site is about improving and improve we must! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

WingShooter
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus

Postby WingShooter » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:51 pm

Improving is the goal and we must.

St3v3M wrote:
WingShooter wrote:Thanks for the input and tend to agree with you on the background. I need to spend a about a month just taking images of the Tetons and the wildlife.

Please know I would proudly hang this if I had taken it, but the site is about improving and improve we must! S-

Return to “Animals & Wildlife”