"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Animals CritiqueThings that fly

Images containing animals of any type; mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, fish, insects
Stan Goldstein
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Things that fly

Postby Stan Goldstein » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:10 am

I don't do much wildlife work, but I have this stuff handy, let us see is the link can be opened from here……
[br]
[br]

[br]

[br] Yup…… seems to work…although it does not recognize the "break" code.
[br]
All images © Stan Goldstein, all rights reserved. Please be nice. If you steal my images you will be cursed with Diarrhea & Gout at the same time.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Things that fly

Postby Charles Haacker » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:29 am

Nothing to critique here! They are all, frankly, stunning! And I don't think you need the break code. Just put them in line if you need to change the order, and if you don't then you don't even need to put them in line. :)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Psjunkie » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:41 am

Your first image is very well done, nice composition Stan…I would only suggest removing the bit of blurry black along the bottom edge of the beak.

Your second has a pleasing composition but for me the turquoise background color doesn’t fit. It appears the shallow dof didn’t quite get all of the subject, of course that could have been intent…

The third just seems to have missed focus or it could be me..

Ala in all Stan nice images and nice to meet you…look forward to seeing more of your work.

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:51 am

Stan Goldstein wrote:I don't do much wildlife work, but I have this stuff handy, let us see is the link can be opened from here……
[br]
[br]

[br]

[br] Yup…… seems to work…although it does not recognize the "break" code.
[br]
All images © Stan Goldstein, all rights reserved. Please be nice. If you steal my images you will be cursed with Diarrhea & Gout at the same time.

Welcome to pM, we hope you'll hang around, help us build and shape this community! Wonderful, colorful critters, nicely separated from their soft pleasing backgrounds. I like them all but the flamingo is my favorite, what a great composition! The dragonfly is pretty cool too, though I wish the little bent over piece of that plant was either more or less in focus..The peacock seems maybe a tad soft, making me wonder if it's a deep crop. I also see these are posted via link from another image hosting site, and I'm wondering what you think of how they are displayed here as opposed to the site they are originating from. I ask this because I saw another member's photos which somehow seemed to lose something in the translation and if that is happening we need to try and figure it out..
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

uuglypher
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby uuglypher » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:45 am

Hi, Stan,
Your flamingo is gorgeous! ...focus, exposure, composition....all excellent.

The dragonfly sits with his/her(?) thorax within the shallow d.o.f. that also includes the small section of the seed head in the zone of sharp focus.

The peacock is a nice pose, but detail is soft. Focus ? or camera/subject movement? I'd bet a touch of deconvolution sharpening would help ( Smart Snarpen, Shake removal...).

Dave

Stan Goldstein
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Postby Stan Goldstein » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:42 am

Thank you one & all for your time & comments!

Chuck, I stopped by your Flickr & eyeballed a couple hundred of your pics. A great historic perspective (at least what I saw) I'm guessing that you are a bit older than me & that's surprising………but offers me hope!

Dave uuglypher, Plain & simple, the Peacock in not sharp. I suspect the major issue is horizontal movement since the horizontals around the head are sharp. Yes, the DOF is VERY thin, the shot was taken wide open, I suspect, with a mediocre Canon Zoom lens. this was at the end of a rainy, drizzly, overcast day, Probably taken at an ISO around 3,200 with a Canon 5D, so noise might also be a bit of an issue as well. (I don't have the EXIF data handy, so I'm guessing a bit). We alway need top remember that feathers, if looked at with great magnification, are NOT sharp, The edges, and most features, are soft to the eye.The only solution for this one is a re-shoot.

Minlev, Dragonfly was taken with an old, low ISO, camera (maybe ISO 400?). So wide aperture & moderate shutter speed add up to compromises. I've taken tons of Dragonfly pics since this one, but it is still a favorite. The pictures are being served by Meetup.com. They do not screw up images as much as, say, facebook. A major issue is the size at which the images are uploaded. I choose to keep uploads around 100MB or less, to facilitate upload & to aggravate those that would like to steal & print my images.

psjunkie, It's not you. Focus & motion blur are absolutely issues with the Peacock. Thank you for commenting! Remember, if you have a larger, sharper, monitor than me, my images will look worse to you than what I'm seeing.

~Stan

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:45 pm

Stan Goldstein wrote:Thank you one & all for your time & comments!

Chuck, I stopped by your Flickr & eyeballed a couple hundred of your pics. A great historic perspective (at least what I saw) I'm guessing that you are a bit older than me & that's surprising………but offers me hope!

Dave uuglypher, Plain & simple, the Peacock in not sharp. I suspect the major issue is horizontal movement since the horizontals around the head are sharp. Yes, the DOF is VERY thin, the shot was taken wide open, I suspect, with a mediocre Canon Zoom lens. this was at the end of a rainy, drizzly, overcast day, Probably taken at an ISO around 3,200 with a Canon 5D, so noise might also be a bit of an issue as well. (I don't have the EXIF data handy, so I'm guessing a bit). We alway need top remember that feathers, if looked at with great magnification, are NOT sharp, The edges, and most features, are soft to the eye.The only solution for this one is a re-shoot.

Minlev, Dragonfly was taken with an old, low ISO, camera (maybe ISO 400?). So wide aperture & moderate shutter speed add up to compromises. I've taken tons of Dragonfly pics since this one, but it is still a favorite. The pictures are being served by Meetup.com. They do not screw up images as much as, say, facebook. A major issue is the size at which the images are uploaded. I choose to keep uploads around 100MB or less, to facilitate upload & to aggravate those that would like to steal & print my images.

psjunkie, It's not you. Focus & motion blur are absolutely issues with the Peacock. Thank you for commenting! Remember, if you have a larger, sharper, monitor than me, my images will look worse to you than what I'm seeing.

~Stan

I was wondering if pM tries to enlarge lower resolution images when it brings them in from another site. I haven't experimented with that but noticed another member had trouble with some images hosted elsewhere and linked here and was wondering if it was a pM quirk (not the host site). I'm in full agreement with you about lower res for posting though, I do the same, maximum 1200 long side,I don't know that anyone would want to steal an image of mine but in case they ever did, I don't want to be making it easier.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Stan Goldstein
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Postby Stan Goldstein » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:55 pm

Minnlev– First I have an error above, should read, "I choose to keep uploads around 100KB or less," A few of my images have been stolen, that I know about, and undoubtedly numerous more that I do NOT know about. For that reason. I always try to put my name on (watermark) my work, It did not stop the theft, but it did make it possible to be 100% certain that it was my image. Surprisingly, the thieving sleazes did not even bother to trim off or obscure my name.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:03 am

Stan Goldstein wrote:I don't do much wildlife work, but I have this stuff handy, let us see is the link can be opened from here……

Ya, it sucks you don't do wildlife work with a flamingo like that. Wonderful, absolutely wonderful and thank you for sharing here! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Animals Critique”