"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Animals CritiqueBee, Basil, & Butterfly w/NIkkor on a Canon

Images containing animals of any type; mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, fish, insects
Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Bee, Basil, & Butterfly w/NIkkor on a Canon

Postby Didereaux » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:55 pm

Found an old Nikkor Q 135mm F2.8 lens on eBAy and got it for $75. These are considered some of the best portrait len's ever built and are still in demand and used by many. Snuck this one out from under them because it deadlined on the holiday! ;) Anywho put a Fotodiox Nikon to Canon EOS adpter plate on it($20) and gave it a spin this afternoon. Now this lens is a full manual, ain't no autofocus or auto aperture or auto anything. Set your camera to manual set you shutter speed (and I use auto ISO) and run your aperture ring up and down to get the meter reading you want. dead simple, no drama. Big problem I had was I had difficulty finding a place dark enough I could use the 2.8 at a low ISO....I was checking sharpness of the lens at each Fstop. Here are a couple of shots from it. the bee and butterfly are taken at about 6' (since this is a 135, and on a crop sensor camera it is the equivalent of about 220mm. I missed focus on the butterfly by a skosh, just in front of it, but that was my fault not the lens. All in all I would stack this up against my favorite lens I own which is the venerable Canon 70-200 F4 L series. So if you would like a lens that will compete with a Canon L or a Nikon 70-200 and save over $1000 I suggest that you get on line check BH, Adorama, KEH, eBAy, or your favorite camera store for a NIkkor 135 2.8 (if you are going to use it on the newer Nikons you will need the AI, and AI-S versions of this. all others the adapter takes care of the differences). Add a 2x teleconverter and you have almost 300mm on full frame, and 400mm on crop. Want bird and wildlife on the cheap? there ya go. Add an extension tube to that 2x and you have a really nice macro!

1. this is almost SOOC
web-8429.jpg

2. focus adj for operator error!
web-8424.jpg

3. least of all adj, touched up the exp & WB
web-8407.jpg
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Bee, Basil, & Butterfly w/NIkkor on a Canon

Postby Charles Haacker » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:38 pm

That bee is indeed what I always call "wire" sharp. And yeah, too bad about the slightly missed focus on the BFly but looking at the parts of the flowers that are in focus shows that the lens is more than adequately sharp. :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Bee, Basil, & Butterfly w/NIkkor on a Canon

Postby St3v3M » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:13 am

Didereaux wrote:Found an old Nikkor Q 135mm F2.8 lens on eBAy and got it for $75. These are considered some of the best portrait len's ever built and are still in demand and used by many. Snuck this one out from under them because it deadlined on the holiday! ;) Anywho put a Fotodiox Nikon to Canon EOS adpter plate on it($20) and gave it a spin this afternoon. Now this lens is a full manual, ain't no autofocus or auto aperture or auto anything. Set your camera to manual set you shutter speed (and I use auto ISO) and run your aperture ring up and down to get the meter reading you want. dead simple, no drama. Big problem I had was I had difficulty finding a place dark enough I could use the 2.8 at a low ISO....I was checking sharpness of the lens at each Fstop. Here are a couple of shots from it. the bee and butterfly are taken at about 6' (since this is a 135, and on a crop sensor camera it is the equivalent of about 220mm. I missed focus on the butterfly by a skosh, just in front of it, but that was my fault not the lens. All in all I would stack this up against my favorite lens I own which is the venerable Canon 70-200 F4 L series. So if you would like a lens that will compete with a Canon L or a Nikon 70-200 and save over $1000 I suggest that you get on line check BH, Adorama, KEH, eBAy, or your favorite camera store for a NIkkor 135 2.8 (if you are going to use it on the newer Nikons you will need the AI, and AI-S versions of this. all others the adapter takes care of the differences). Add a 2x teleconverter and you have almost 300mm on full frame, and 400mm on crop. Want bird and wildlife on the cheap? there ya go. Add an extension tube to that 2x and you have a really nice macro!

Love the first and wonder if a square crop for bring the subject more center. Thank you for sharing this and taking us with you on your journey! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Animals Critique”