"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Critic's CornerForest Glen

Non-human subjects of any description; birds, insects, mammals, fish, domestics... it's all fair game.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
pop511
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Forest Glen

Postby pop511 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:26 am

I have no idea what forum to post these pictures. So if wrong, I apologize, and point me in the right direction.
These are fantasy pictures put together. The first picture is a crop of the second.
Attachments
Seat_in_Forest_Girl2_crop.jpg
Seat_in_Forest_Girl2_crop.jpg (371.29 KiB) Viewed 304 times
Seat_in_Forest_Girl3.jpg
Seat_in_Forest_Girl3.jpg (420.89 KiB) Viewed 304 times
ed davis

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Re: Forest Glen

Postby Didereaux » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:50 am

Only thing I find I can't swallow is the lopping off of the swan's rear, and the bottom halves of the goslings/duckings/swanlings or whatever. Since it is a fantasy composite there is really nothing much that can be critiqued unless the creator says what the intent was.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:24 am

Though the sections of the forum seem labyrinthine and I may not have found them all, I've not seen a section for composites so this looks like as good a home for them as any. I do composites too, so these interest me. I agree with the other poster who says it's important to keep all the pieces of the swans and the little swimmers in the frame. I'll add that the young lady seems a bit close to the water, and some extra work with shadows could render a more believable fantasy. The components seem adequately selected and masked, something I struggle with. Integrating all the pieces and managing light seem to be a universal challenge. Share some more of these creations, and tell us more about your goals and visions, I'd love to have more conversations about them.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Didereaux » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:18 am

pop511 wrote:I have no idea what forum to post these pictures. So if wrong, I apologize, and point me in the right direction.
These are fantasy pictures put together. The first picture is a crop of the second.

minniev wrote:Though the sections of the forum seem labyrinthine and I may not have found them all, I've not seen a section for composites so this looks like as good a home for them as any. I do composites too, so these interest me. I agree with the other poster who says it's important to keep all the pieces of the swans and the little swimmers in the frame. I'll add that the young lady seems a bit close to the water, and some extra work with shadows could render a more believable fantasy. The components seem adequately selected and masked, something I struggle with. Integrating all the pieces and managing light seem to be a universal challenge. Share some more of these creations, and tell us more about your goals and visions, I'd love to have more conversations about them.

Check over in the Critics Corner/HDR forum. I have posted a couple of my composites over there with the word 'COMPOSITE' in the title. If we get enough interest and involvement maybe all those could be shifted into a new Composite forum.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:45 pm

The site is still in flux as we learn what everyone wants so, for now, we're just happy to have you and admire your work. Thank you for sharing! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

pop511
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Postby pop511 » Thu May 11, 2017 12:20 pm

Didereaux
Swans were pasted from the only picture I had of them, and yes, the butt was chopped in original. All I had to do was put the reflection in. As for the ducklings or goslings, same problem I'm sorry to say. In original, they were walking. So I put them where it would feel as if they were walking out of the water.
The intent?
It is whatever you make of it.
Minniev
""some extra work with shadows could render a more believable fantasy.""
Oh boy...So right...there must be 6-8 layers in original where I try to color blend disparate layers in. I'll get it right one day... ;)
In another version of this I put a painterly effect over it using Topaz Impression. Which I prefer as it takes out a lot of detail.
have fun and regards to all
ed
ed davis

Return to “Animals & Wildlife”