“Don't count the days, make the days count.” —Muhammad Ali

Critic's CornerTibetan Spaniel Puppy - Golden Boy

Non-human subjects of any description; birds, insects, mammals, fish, domestics... it's all fair game.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
Bob Yankle
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Tibetan Spaniel Puppy - Golden Boy

Postby Bob Yankle » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:09 pm

There is a Japanese legend about Kintaro, the Golden Boy. I saw this puppy at a Dog Show, but if he were mine, I'd probably give him that name.

This has more to do about sharpening than anything else. I have lately taken to turning down the Clarity level so as to make fur look a lot more natural. I've been trying to ameliorate some of the hard edges that sharpening introduces, striking a proper balance between detail and a non-jaggy look.
Attachments
TibetanSpanielGoldenBoy.jpg
Last edited by Bob Yankle on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Tibetan Spaniel Puppy - Golden Boy

Postby minniev » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:26 pm

Wonderful expression and pose, nicely captured and presented. If you didn't deliberately add grain, there might be a bit of noise involved that could use some clean-up, but if grain was your intent, so be it. The image is very sweet, and should delight an owner.

I know a photographer in the city who makes a really good living taking images of folk's beloved fur friends. Have you done that kind of work?
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Bob Yankle
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Bob Yankle » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:47 pm

minniev wrote:Wonderful expression and pose, nicely captured and presented. If you didn't deliberately add grain, there might be a bit of noise involved that could use some clean-up, but if grain was your intent, so be it. The image is very sweet, and should delight an owner.

I know a photographer in the city who makes a really good living taking images of folk's beloved fur friends. Have you done that kind of work?
Thank you Minniev. I have taken to carrying my Business Cards and a Fire HD Tablet to dog shows (for display purposes), to see if I might get someone to ask for an image of their pet. So far, no takers, but I'm going to try again.

I'm not quite sure where in my processing flow the grain gets added in. I start out with a RAW file from a Canon 5D MK III and a Canon 24-105mm L series lens, so I don't think it is in the original file. To me, it's not all that important because I happen to like grain, but I need to find out which filter is adding it without me being aware of it. Along the way, I use NIK dFine and its brush tool to remove some of the more egregious instances, but I like what it does in the detail work, so I don't overly denoise any of my images.

I know you like to experiment with new tools ...... my latest is Luminar for Windows beta release from Macphun. They have begun to port over their software from MAC to the Windows platform. They have an AI filter which I applied to this dog as the last step in my workflow, and it did a marvelous job of color and light balance. As soon as they bring out the Production version, I'm going to add it.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:34 am

I like that the little pup is looking at the lens, but it looks a little sad. Have you thought about placing a small toy above your camera to direct their attention? I remember reading in the past that you can cut the base of a Pez Dispenser down to fit the hot shoe then put a stuffed toy on that. It might be fun! S-

- Kintarō
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Animals & Wildlife”