"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Critic's CornerThe Flutterby

Non-human subjects of any description; birds, insects, mammals, fish, domestics... it's all fair game.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

The Flutterby

Postby St3v3M » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:53 pm

This is an accidental capture while visiting Solstice Canyon. It needs work, but that's why I'm posting it here. S-
Attachments
IMG_9099-1f.jpg
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: The Flutterby

Postby Duck » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:05 pm

I don't know... It looks pretty nice to me. Maybe bump the exposure up a touch, or try rotating it counter clockwise. Other than that, it's a really nice image.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:43 pm

Duck wrote:I don't know... It looks pretty nice to me. Maybe bump the exposure up a touch, or try rotating it counter clockwise. Other than that, it's a really nice image.

That's quite a compliment, thank you! If I remember I dropped the exposure a little to make it less hot, but I can try again. Thank you so much! S-

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:56 pm

St3v3M wrote:This is an accidental capture while visiting Solstice Canyon. It needs work, but that's why I'm posting it here. S-

This can't be called an accident, it's beautiful. The colors are vibrant and the details are exquisite. Nice angle showing all of one wing (butterflies are not notoriously cooperative). It is hard to think of an improvement. I like the exposure where it is as it is since helps hold those rich colors without blowing any out. I might try raising the shadows a bit in the darkest area with a radial just to get a little more of the green in the darks, but it might not turn out to be a plus.But really, it's beautiful just as it is.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:23 am

minniev wrote:This can't be called an accident, it's beautiful. The colors are vibrant and the details are exquisite. Nice angle showing all of one wing (butterflies are not notoriously cooperative). It is hard to think of an improvement. I like the exposure where it is as it is since helps hold those rich colors without blowing any out. I might try raising the shadows a bit in the darkest area with a radial just to get a little more of the green in the darks, but it might not turn out to be a plus.But really, it's beautiful just as it is.

I'll post this for awhile if anyone wants to have a go at it. S-
- Flutterby

PietFrancke
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Postby PietFrancke » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:47 pm

nice catch, I have yet to get a good shot of a butterfly doing it's thing in such a beautiful place that you have caught it. I like the glowing transparent detail of the petals and the wings.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:50 pm

PietFrancke wrote:nice catch, I have yet to get a good shot of a butterfly doing it's thing in such a beautiful place that you have caught it. I like the glowing transparent detail of the petals and the wings.

Thank you so much! I don't have the best luck with insects and was reluctant to post this as it's a little blurry when you zoom in. Thank you again! S-

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:45 pm

If I had made it (and I wish I had) I would not change a thing. "There is no light like back light," the richness and saturation for me are just right, and lately I have been using the saturation and luminance sliders in HSL on greens (specifically) to pull them down so they don't distract from the colors of the flowers (and in this case the flutterby). I always fuss about sharpness issues with my own stuff, often discarding an otherwise good shot because it's not barbed-wire sharp, but at this magnification it looks fine! :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:22 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:If I had made it (and I wish I had) I would not change a thing. "There is no light like back light," the richness and saturation for me are just right, and lately I have been using the saturation and luminance sliders in HSL on greens (specifically) to pull them down so they don't distract from the colors of the flowers (and in this case the flutterby). I always fuss about sharpness issues with my own stuff, often discarding an otherwise good shot because it's not barbed-wire sharp, but at this magnification it looks fine! :thumbup:

Thank you so much! I'm still learning Lightroom and really appreciate all the help! S-

davechinn
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Postby davechinn » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:26 am

St3v3M wrote:This is an accidental capture while visiting Solstice Canyon. It needs work, but that's why I'm posting it here. S-

I have no suggestions for this fine, excellent image Steve !!! To me its spot on with everything, color, lighting and composition is there to my eye.
Dave

Return to “Animals & Wildlife”