“The only way you'll find out if you 'have it in you' is to get to work and see if you do.” —Cheryl Strayed

Critic's CornerFemale Halloween Pennant

Non-human subjects of any description; birds, insects, mammals, fish, domestics... it's all fair game.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
WingShooter
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Female Halloween Pennant

Postby WingShooter » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:16 pm

Getting the light at the correct angle makes the golden yellow veins glow.
Attachments
FemaleHalloweenPennant.jpg

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Female Halloween Pennant

Postby Charles Haacker » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:40 pm

I think she is just gorgeous. I would not criticize anything except maybe wonder if she couldn't stand a little tighter crop. I love a square (I used to shoot a lot of 6x6) but if I'd made this I might just try a vertical to remove the one bokeh-ed weed on the left and also some of the negative space. Just a thought. It's a wonderful picture! :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Psjunkie
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby Psjunkie » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:08 pm

Great one John, just fantastic, conditions must have been good...if anything at all I might tone down the white or turn it more brown/yellow..but if left alone i'd have no real issue. Good to see you here!!

PietFrancke
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby PietFrancke » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:32 pm

stunning in it's beauty and detail. I would lose the two yellow stalks as has been mentioned, your hunter deserves all the attention. They DO show the environment, but still...

WingShooter
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus

Postby WingShooter » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:17 pm

Thanks Chuck, I was trying to get landing shots on this female so when she changed her wing position to nearly strait up I shot a bust to catch the narrow DOF and getting nearly all the female in focus. She was taking off and landing again on the same stalk but even at 10 FPS I was not getting the shot I was after. I would get a frame with the legs tucked in and on the next frame already landed.

Charles Haacker wrote:I think she is just gorgeous. I would not criticize anything except maybe wonder if she couldn't stand a little tighter crop. I love a square (I used to shoot a lot of 6x6) but if I'd made this I might just try a vertical to remove the one bokeh-ed weed on the left and also some of the negative space. Just a thought. It's a wonderful picture! :thumbup:

WingShooter
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus

Postby WingShooter » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:52 pm

Thanks Frank, I am still playing with this one and have several crops. The conditions have being challenging as it has been sunny with wind or raining and poor light. I have not been out in over a week and it is the peak of dragonfly season with a good crop on the wing. I have seen thousands of Halloween Pennants but if the weather stays this poor I mite miss out on my goal this year to get the perfect landing image of a Halloween Pennant.

Psjunkie wrote:Great one John, just fantastic, conditions must have been good...if anything at all I might tone down the white or turn it more brown/yellow..but if left alone i'd have no real issue. Good to see you here!!

WingShooter
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus

Postby WingShooter » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:54 pm

Thanks Piet, I read everyone wants a tighter crop and I guess I need to yield to the majority voice.

PietFrancke wrote:stunning in it's beauty and detail. I would lose the two yellow stalks as has been mentioned, your hunter deserves all the attention. They DO show the environment, but still...

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:15 pm

WingShooter wrote:Thanks Piet, I read everyone wants a tighter crop and I guess I need to yield to the majority voice.

PietFrancke wrote:stunning in it's beauty and detail. I would lose the two yellow stalks as has been mentioned, your hunter deserves all the attention. They DO show the environment, but still...

Oh, no, John, you don't need to yield to nobody! :) All criticism is subjective and only suggestion. Piet would lose both stalks but I would only crop or delete the stubby one on the left, but opinions are like noses; everybody's got one. The key thing is, it's your picture. I should be much braver about submitting stuff for critique but I'm shy. Really. I have trouble taking my own advice. :| You have made a wonderful picture of a beautiful critter, sharp, well-lit and composed; you are and should be proud of it and change not one thing if you choose. :thanks:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Return to “Animals & Wildlife”