Digital EditingLightroom 6 available.

Post-processing: Editing techniques, software and other resources.
From simple corrections to multi-layered edits, actions, tone mapping and more.
Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Lightroom 6 available.

Postby Onslow » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:17 pm

Morning all, well, at 5am here in Oz, I found LR6 was available for download. Some of the new features look interesting so I am looking forward to seeing how the install process goes.

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Re: Lightroom 6 available.

Postby Onslow » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:01 pm

Ok, just managed to get it working. After installing, I couldn't start it. Signing out of the CC desktop app and signing back in sorted that out.
When it started, It was a lot faster than ver 5.7. It caught me out and instead of converting my existing catalog, I pressed to create a new one. Bugger. What to do then. I opened my folders list to see which files were new in the catalog location. Shut down LR6 and then deleted the new catalog I created by accident. I restarted LR6, it asked for the missing catalog, I navigated to my LR5 catalog, selected that and it asked to convert it. Having optimised and backed it up already I went ahead and converted the catalog. A couple of minutes perhaps and I ended up in LR6.
First impressions? FAST!
The previews were finally snappy, loading almost instantaneously. Looking through the preferences, I see there is a new Performance Tab. I had a look in there and see my Quaddro k2000 graphics card is detected and selected. Finally, the cards GPU is being used by LR. The older versions didn't and the performance took a bit of a hit I found. My machines mb may be 5 yrs old, but, I have fast ssds as working and scratch drives along with a fast raid as my data drive. With 24 gb of ram and no games etc, the machine is reasonably speedy still until the cpu itself becomes the choke. This was happening with the older versions. Now, my new GPU is doing the work in the develop module but the overall snappiness of the system now is remarkable. Barely scratched the surface but the difference so far is impressive.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Duck » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:11 pm

Good to know. Guess I know what I'll be doing tonight. :doh:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby TomCofer » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:26 pm

Thanks for the heads up John.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

pop511
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby pop511 » Wed May 06, 2015 4:02 am

SSD cards are the way to go these days with ever increasing file sizes and overheads that software needs. I now use a SSD card as my "C" drive in a new comp that I built some months ago. From start to go it takes about 19 secs. Am still using L/Room 5.7 and so far happy with the speed. Having spent a few years in IT. My only advice to comp users is that " If it works, then leave the bloody thing alone "
Kind regards;
ed davis

Return to “Digital Editing”