"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." —Mark Twain

Digital EditingNew to lightroom 5 with question

Post-processing: Editing techniques, software and other resources.
From simple corrections to multi-layered edits, actions, tone mapping and more.
PeteD
Mentoris Praefectus
Mentoris Praefectus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

New to lightroom 5 with question

Postby PeteD » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:03 am

I am certain it has been covered many, many times. But it gets overwhelming looking for it. Search, is not always your friend.

I am new to Apple and Lightroom 5 (well, 5.7 actually) and have a question.

After importing and editing, do you guys and gals export them back to your hard drive?

I have watched several videos on workflow, editing, yada yada, but they never discuss what to do with them afterwards.

Like on my Dell. When I use Photoshop or Picture it 9, I go to close the program and it will ask if I want to save the changes.

What do you do with LR5?

Thanks in advance for your time and help

pah43
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Re: New to lightroom 5 with question

Postby pah43 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:47 am

When Ive done editing I export using a preset so it might be a high res or low res for Facebook for instance but this copy is usually expendable as the original is still where it was filed in its original folder and if it was shot as a raw file its still as it was taken. Its only when Lightroom opens it again does it add your previous changes (make sure you keep any xmp files - these contain all the info and are saved automatically ) - its a non destructive process but you do need to look after your catalogue -its priceless as it contains all the edits you have ever made. So the bottom line is each time you open LR it will be at the same stage as you left it, its taken me a while to get my head around it but in time it all makes sense and you quickly develop a work flow that works for you. :D
Cheers,
Paul.

“Wherever there is light, one can photograph." :photo:

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby TomCofer » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:54 am

I'm not the expert here Pete, and I don't have an Apple, but whatever changes I make in LR are there when I come back without the additional saves when I come back to LR later. You can always go back and revert to the original or anywhere else in your previous changes in the "History" section.

LR.jpg
LR.jpg (98.76 KiB) Viewed 856 times

Hope that helps.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

PeteD
Mentoris Praefectus
Mentoris Praefectus

Postby PeteD » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:26 am

Thanks guys. A lot to wrap my head around. So, there are no saves (well technically auto saved) . But if I want to share the photo, I will have to export it. That way, the photo has the changes applied

pah43
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Postby pah43 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:46 am

Exactly right - it took me ages to get my head around the fact there was no save feature - by the way I use Mac but theres really no difference in the way LR works between PC and Mac - Ive used both and the same catalog etc open up just the same on both. 8):
Cheers,
Paul.

“Wherever there is light, one can photograph." :photo:

WesternGuy
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby WesternGuy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:24 am

Pete, there is no Save or Close feature after editing with Lightroom as folks have pointed out. What happens, is that Lightroom saves all the things that you do in what they call a "sidecar" file. If you look at the files using something like Windows Explorer (I don't know the Apple equivalent, but assume there is one), you will see a lot of files with the ending "xmp". For example, if you have a file called "File0987.CR2" (for Canon raw files), or "File0987.nef" (for Nikon raw files), then you should also have one called "File0987.xmp", assuming you have made some "Edit" changes. If you look at that file with a simple text editor (e.g., I have found that WordPad works best for me), then you will see how Lightroom stores the information showing the "edits" that you have made to your image. Lightroom doesn't really bake in the edits, like Photoshop does, until you do something with the image. For example, if you "Export" it as a jpeg, even if you only store the jpeg on your hard drive, then the edits are incorporated into the jpeg. If you attach the image to an e-mail, then the edits are applied to the image prior to Lightroom getting it ready for the e-mail. Also, if you Print the image to a printer, then Lightroom makes all the changes that you did in the edit before sending the "product" to the Printer.

If you want to see this, open Lightroom, select an image that you know you have edited and then go the Edit module. On the left side of the screen, you should be able to find a top level item that says "History". If you click on the little arrow that is beside the word, so it is pointing down, then you will see a listing of all the "changes" that you have made to the original image. What is being displayed here, by Lightroom, are the contents of the "sidecar" file, the one that ends with "xmp". The fact that Lightroom uses this "xmp" file, is why you can back out any of the changes that you made, or keep "snapshots" of your images during the development process and produce multiple copies of the same file with different "develop" processes attached to them. For example, when you make a "Virtual copy" of an image, Lightroom does not really make another copy, rather it keeps track of all this "activity" in the xmp file. This also is why you should backup your Catalog after every edit. I have my LR set up to prompt me to back up the Catalog after each editing session, something I always do. Mind you, if I have just opened up LR to check on an image with no editing, then I won't backup the Catalog.

This is why it is also a good idea to backup the Catalog as well, every time you backup up your image files. That way if something happens, then at least you have a catalog that matches the backed up images.

I hope this explanation helps you to understand why Lightroom doesn't "Close" or "Save" a file. Any questions, post back and I will do my best to answer them.

WesternGuy
You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn't waste either. - Galen Rowell

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
My new blog: http://photowestguy.wordpress.com/

pop511
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby pop511 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:21 am

Excellent answers on here...BUT we all back up our stuff onto two different drives..Don't we??
ed
ed davis

WesternGuy
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby WesternGuy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:59 pm

pop511 wrote:Excellent answers on here...BUT we all back up our stuff onto two different drives..Don't we??
ed

I think (hope?) that a lot of us back up our stuff, but often all we back up are the images, and even then, only one copy and probably not often enough (I'm guilty of this!). What folks using Lightroom have to remember is to back up a copy of the Lightroom catalog as well, every time you back up a copy of your images. The Catalog is usually stored with the images and has a name that ends in ".lrcat". The default location for this and other Lightroom files for Macs and Win7 and 8 can be found here - https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/preference-file-locations-lightroom-41.html . There are also a couple of references to further information on backing up the Catalog there as well. Hope this helps.

WesternGuy
You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn't waste either. - Galen Rowell

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
My new blog: http://photowestguy.wordpress.com/

PeteD
Mentoris Praefectus
Mentoris Praefectus

Postby PeteD » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:52 am

Thanks WG. On the new Apple, I have not backed anything up yet. 1- I just don't have a lot of photos on it 2-I do not yet have a hard drive for it. I still use the Windows unit with the hard drive on it for things I really want to keep. If it is something I gotta save and save now, I put it on flicker , photobucket and what have you in private folders. I can retrieve them when I want from there.

I will eventually get enough on here to where I will have to back it all up

It's just I am so used to the make a change and then have to save it, I could not get my head wrapped around the LR stuff.

Return to “Digital Editing”