"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Digital EditingUsing Luminosity Masks - Beginner's Question :)

Post-processing: Editing techniques, software and other resources.
From simple corrections to multi-layered edits, actions, tone mapping and more.
SuzanneR
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Using Luminosity Masks - Beginner's Question :)

Postby SuzanneR » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:02 pm

Hi, I'm just getting started learning to use luminosity masks. I became interested in learning about them because I am hoping that some of my landscape photos, taken in less-than-optimal lighting conditions, can benefit from using LMs to even out and enhance tones. I have an OK grasp on the mechanics of how to use them, but so far I'm noticing that some photos, which I've already processed from a RAW state, and then processed "normally", don't look a whole lot different from ones that I painstakingly process using luminosity masks. However, I do "get" why luminosity masks can be beneficial. So I'm hoping someone with a lot of experience in this area can explain to me what to look for when selecting an image that could benefit from luminosity masks vs. "traditional" or HDR (in the case where I have multiple exposures of the same shot available) processing. Thanks in advance!

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Re: Using Luminosity Masks - Beginner's Question :)

Postby Onslow » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:14 am

Hi Suzanne. :) Thanks for bringing this up. I played with them a yr or two but at that stage didn't appreciate them very much. Once I saw your question it has piqued my interest in them again. I have found this site http://goodlight.us/writing/luminositymasks/luminositymasks-1.html which offers some information for me to explore with some of my landscape work. Perhaps it may be of benefit to you?

SuzanneR
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby SuzanneR » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:42 am

Hi, thanks for your response! Yes, Tony Kuyper is one whose website I visited while poking around trying to find info about LMs. I settled on Jimmy McIntrye's page, and signed up to take his short online course. I don't usually do courses but it seemed worthwhile, and he included some PS actions, such as for creating the set of LMs, which I found very helpful, although he does teach how to create them (tediously!) in his course. I imagine after a LOT more practice, I'll learn to discern between which images can potentially benefit from LMs, and which don't. Right now it's hard for me to tell without playing with the different masks and tones. But the course also teaching other aspects of digital blending, some additional ways to bring out (or reduce) tones in an image, but using more than 1 image from a bracketed set. Sort of a different way to do HDR...I do have Photomatix for that, but Jimmy's method looks intriguing and not as "cooked" as some HDR-processed shots can look. Anyway, one step at a time...I have some nice landscape shots that I want to do more with....some, for instance, were taken in a canyon and so the lighting is not the greatest, but I want to do the best I can to process the scenes. So this will be just something else to add to my toolbox. After I get some more time trying this out, I'll return here with some images. The ones I've worked on so far are not ready for public viewing. :P

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Onslow » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:15 am

SuzanneR wrote:Hi, thanks for your response! Yes, Tony Kuyper is one whose website I visited while poking around trying to find info about LMs. I settled on Jimmy McIntrye's page, and signed up to take his short online course. I don't usually do courses but it seemed worthwhile, and he included some PS actions, such as for creating the set of LMs, which I found very helpful, although he does teach how to create them (tediously!) in his course. I imagine after a LOT more practice, I'll learn to discern between which images can potentially benefit from LMs, and which don't. Right now it's hard for me to tell without playing with the different masks and tones. But the course also teaching other aspects of digital blending, some additional ways to bring out (or reduce) tones in an image, but using more than 1 image from a bracketed set. Sort of a different way to do HDR...I do have Photomatix for that, but Jimmy's method looks intriguing and not as "cooked" as some HDR-processed shots can look. Anyway, one step at a time...I have some nice landscape shots that I want to do more with....some, for instance, were taken in a canyon and so the lighting is not the greatest, but I want to do the best I can to process the scenes. So this will be just something else to add to my toolbox. After I get some more time trying this out, I'll return here with some images. The ones I've worked on so far are not ready for public viewing. :P

Uhm, I like your use of the term "Cooked". HDR is something I have toyed with in the past. The programs I tried to my eye overcooked the images. I prefer a more natural look. I'll look at sunrises and think Is the bright, saturated foreground really what I would expect to see? The other thing I didn't like was haloing. I've been watching some videos by Jeff Schewe from "The Luminous Landscape". His way of masking and lightly brushing is one I like and is reasonably natural (ish) to my eye.
In regard to precooked actions, I prefer to make them myself instead of buying as this way I can actually understand what the action does. BTW, this also includes people explaining the individual steps on youtube etc, I'll duplicate the steps and if I like the result, I'll use it.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work. :)

pop511
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby pop511 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:19 am

Great Link Onslo
Thx so much
ed
ed davis

Return to “Digital Editing”