Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Image ProcessingThe Simulation of the Dye-Transfer Process

Post-processing: Editing techniques, software, hardware and other resources. Chemical or digital.
From simple corrections to multi-layered edits, actions, tone mapping and more.
rmalarz
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

The Simulation of the Dye-Transfer Process

Post by rmalarz »

My inspiration for this was born years ago upon seeing photographs by William Eggleston and Eliot Porter. They used the dye transfer process to produce stunning color photographs. The dye transfer process essentially takes three black and white photographs simultaneously using red, green, and blue filters. These negatives are then registered and combined to produce a color photograph.

My intent was to simulate that process through the use of Ps instead. I lacked a blue filter, it's on order and expected to arrive Nov. 24. So, as a proof of concept, I used photographs I'd taken with digital cameras. So, after researching the nuances of the Channels Layer it was time to give this a try. It would seem the secret to the process was not opening photographs in Ps but instead creating a photograph using the color channels instead.

I used minimal processing, entirely done in ACR to produce as close to a properly exposed photograph as I could. That "SOOC" photograph would be the basis for any further process related work.

I used a color to black and white conversion process that would produce a photograph as if it were taken through a colored filter. This conversion was done three times to simulate the use of the red, green, and blue filters. Instead of opening the photographs conventionally, I copied each to its respective color channel of a New photograph created in Ps. Thus producing a color image. The results are interesting enough to pursue this further.

I'm hoping for similar results when using film and filters. Stay tuned.
--Bob
Attachments
Final
Final
"SOOC"
"SOOC"
Red Filter
Red Filter
Green Filter
Green Filter
Blue Filter
Blue Filter
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.
Lifetime member Royal Photographic Society

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev »

This is fascinating. I had no idea such a thing could be done. I look forward to seeing more about this.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie »

Way above my pay grade Bob, but vert enlightening..

rmalarz
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Post by rmalarz »

Thank you, Minnie. It was something I had been aware of after seeing the works of Eggleston and Porter. The equipment isn't even available today, as far as I know. I've migrated to using black and white film to do this and it has presented a number of additional challenges. Thanks again.
--Bob

rmalarz
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Post by rmalarz »

Thank you very much, Psjunkie. This process does present some unique challenges. I appreciate you looking in and commenting.
--Bob

uuglypher
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by uuglypher »

rmalarz wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:14 pm
My inspiration for this was born years ago upon seeing photographs by William Eggleston and Eliot Porter. They used the dye transfer process to produce stunning color photographs. The dye transfer process essentially takes three black and white photographs simultaneously using red, green, and blue filters. These negatives are then registered and combined to produce a color photograph.

My intent was to simulate that process through the use of Ps instead. I lacked a blue filter, it's on order and expected to arrive Nov. 24. So, as a proof of concept, I used photographs I'd taken with digital cameras. So, after researching the nuances of the Channels Layer it was time to give this a try. It would seem the secret to the process was not opening photographs in Ps but instead creating a photograph using the color channels instead.

I used minimal processing, entirely done in ACR to produce as close to a properly exposed photograph as I could. That "SOOC" photograph would be the basis for any further process related work.

I used a color to black and white conversion process that would produce a photograph as if it were taken through a colored filter. This conversion was done three times to simulate the use of the red, green, and blue filters. Instead of opening the photographs conventionally, I copied each to its respective color channel of a New photograph created in Ps. Thus producing a color image. The results are interesting enough to pursue this further.

I'm hoping for similar results when using film and filters. Stay tuned.
--Bob
Am thinkink post from TOP-1-Coers is from friend Malarz of! Why eliminatvwas?
Borjemoi!

uuglypher
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by uuglypher »

Well, since my pigeon-Russian accented gibberish was placed with Bob Malarz’s post- I’ll ask here: what happened to the two posts in Russian from TOP-1- Coers that were posted in pM and then were apparently removed/taken down. It could have been useful for someone literate in Russian- like Bob Malarz- to have read them. If, in fact, someone else was able to translate them, howzabout letting the rest of us in on what it was all about?
Dave