Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better." - Pat Riley

Image Processinglearning to see

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

learning to see

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:52 am

I created a background layer and filled it with medium grey. Then I created an empty sketch layer above it and attempted as best I could to sketch one of Frazetta's masterpieces. I did a lot of erasing and transforming and warping and after a time I just loaded in the image and painted some reference lines for myself so that I would know for sure were things were, and then I got rid of the image and again tried to sketch the outlines and major details the best that I could.

I added a soft light layer of a texture that I created to roughen things up. And then I duplicated that layer to give it greater strength. I lowered the opacity of the sketch layer and created a new layer above it called ink. I traced the lines in the sketch that I liked. And then finally, I created a dark layer called Base and put a mask over it (and lowered it's opacity so I could see the ink). I painted over the mask revealing (darkening) the figures that I am working on.

Next I will create another layer and call it something like Value, and there I will paint the highlights the best that I can based on what I see in Frazetta's color painting. So we will start out with a black/white charcoal like value study and we will see how far I get!
ls1.jpg

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:58 am

I have been an artist my whole life. Mostly self taught but I did take some classes in college. One of my favorites was a drawing class that was all about seeing the subject rather than just looking at it. We started off by drawing the outlines of boxes while working on establishing both mass and perspective. Then we moved on to working with several boxes then adding additional shapes such as cylinders, globes and such. After that it was about shading the boxes with no texture. Concentrating on form and light source. Then adding shadows. The challenge at the end of the semester was drawing slightly crumpled plain brown paper bags using shading only to define the subject.

While the subjects were rather dull and boring to work with, it allowed us the ability to concentrate on the specific lessons without getting distracted by things such as labels, colors, textures and other details. By the end of the semester I was able to not only "see" the subject but analyze the spatial relations of the negative spaces between elements. When you can acquire that skill... there is nothing you can't draw.

I am not a painter. My medium of choice has always been pen and ink (and later the tattoo machine) but I have an interest in learning digital painting. I don't devote as much time as I would like but when I do, I can spend several hours to a task. Recently I tried my hand at doing a portrait from scratch by using reference as a guide but not directly painting or manipulating a photograph. I took a screen grab of a YouTuber I enjoy watching called Peter Draws. He has a very expressive face. After about an hour I had this...

Peter-Draws.jpg
Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:42 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:52 am
I created a background layer and filled it with medium grey. Then I created an empty sketch layer above it and attempted as best I could to sketch one of Frazetta's masterpieces. I did a lot of erasing and transforming and warping and after a time I just loaded in the image and painted some reference lines for myself so that I would know for sure were things were, and then I got rid of the image and again tried to sketch the outlines and major details the best that I could.

I added a soft light layer of a texture that I created to roughen things up. And then I duplicated that layer to give it greater strength. I lowered the opacity of the sketch layer and created a new layer above it called ink. I traced the lines in the sketch that I liked. And then finally, I created a dark layer called Base and put a mask over it (and lowered it's opacity so I could see the ink). I painted over the mask revealing (darkening) the figures that I am working on.

Next I will create another layer and call it something like Value, and there I will paint the highlights the best that I can based on what I see in Frazetta's color painting. So we will start out with a black/white charcoal like value study and we will see how far I get! ls1.jpg
I admire your determination and what you've already accomplished. I firmly believe, though, that there has always been an artist lurking inside you waiting to escape what my husbands calls "the humdrum of daily life" and bloom. I have none of your gift for figuring out the sketching and painting, it remains as elusive as my dam birds are when the water's up too high. But I shall keep trying. You inspire me, but you also remind me of my childhood with my cousins who could craft delicate, perfect doll clothes while mine fell apart as soon as I put them on the dolls. They eventually taught me to make doll-socks successfully.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:14 pm

Will be fun watching but way above my pay grade.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:15 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:14 pm
Will be fun watching but way above my pay grade.
Ha! So Not True!!

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:17 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:42 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:52 am

Next I will create another layer and call it something like Value, and there I will paint the highlights the best that I can based on what I see in Frazetta's color painting. So we will start out with a black/white charcoal like value study and we will see how far I get! ls1.jpg
I admire your determination and what you've already accomplished. I firmly believe, though, that there has always been an artist lurking inside you waiting to escape what my husbands calls "the humdrum of daily life" and bloom. I have none of your gift for figuring out the sketching and painting, it remains as elusive as my dam birds are when the water's up too high. But I shall keep trying. You inspire me, but you also remind me of my childhood with my cousins who could craft delicate, perfect doll clothes while mine fell apart as soon as I put them on the dolls. They eventually taught me to make doll-socks successfully.
Yes - like a dog sinking it's teeth into a bone. Determination is my ally.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:22 pm

Duck wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:58 am
I have been an artist my whole life. Mostly self taught but I did take some classes in college. One of my favorites was a drawing class that was all about seeing the subject rather than just looking at it. We started off by drawing the outlines of boxes while working on establishing both mass and perspective. Then we moved on to working with several boxes then adding additional shapes such as cylinders, globes and such. After that it was about shading the boxes with no texture. Concentrating on form and light source. Then adding shadows. The challenge at the end of the semester was drawing slightly crumpled plain brown paper bags using shading only to define the subject.

While the subjects were rather dull and boring to work with, it allowed us the ability to concentrate on the specific lessons without getting distracted by things such as labels, colors, textures and other details. By the end of the semester I was able to not only "see" the subject but analyze the spatial relations of the negative spaces between elements. When you can acquire that skill... there is nothing you can't draw.

I am not a painter. My medium of choice has always been pen and ink (and later the tattoo machine) but I have an interest in learning digital painting. I don't devote as much time as I would like but when I do, I can spend several hours to a task. Recently I tried my hand at doing a portrait from scratch by using reference as a guide but not directly painting or manipulating a photograph. I took a screen grab of a YouTuber I enjoy watching called Peter Draws. He has a very expressive face. After about an hour I had this...

Peter-Draws.jpg

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.
OMG, that is so cool! Thank you for that link. I will check put "Peter Draws". You are my main inspiration by-the-way, I admire very much your knowlege and talent. On my current value study, I am going to try to understand hard and soft edges. Please, please always feel free to comment on my efforts - your guidance is useful, but more importantly it is needed. I don't know what I don't know and while I may be learing to see - I am blind.

edit - thanks for mentioning negative space - paying more attention to that may have helped me out a lot..

2nd edit - half way through looking at his second sketch book. Very pleasant experience listening to him ramble. Your did a good likeness of him!

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:19 pm

I'm always observing your craft with envy Piet. Your vision IS motivation for followers, (like myself) to strive for more. Best wishes for 2019 !!!
Dave
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:12 pm

davechinn wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:19 pm
I'm always observing your craft with envy Piet. Your vision IS motivation for followers, (like myself) to strive for more. Best wishes for 2019 !!!
Dave
Thank you Dave, for me, "just trying" has many rewards (read that as "I don't feel that I try enough!!"), and your photo-editing back on Ugly in the old days was much of the reason that I am trying today. It is good that we inspire each other!! The smokey halls of photomentoris is a cool place to hang around!

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:33 am

a zoom of The head - it takes a lot of work, lots of mistakes - you hit a point where it doesn't seem to get any better.
ls2.jpg