"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." —Mark Twain

Digital EditingIs there a better way to organize myself?

Post-processing: Editing techniques, software and other resources.
From simple corrections to multi-layered edits, actions, tone mapping and more.
Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Is there a better way to organize myself?

Postby Shine Gonzalvez » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:04 pm

my photo library is growing and my computer memory at some point will struggle...
this is what I am doing at present
1)all shots in raw including family snaps
2)import to iphoto
3)external editor set to photoshop cc
4) once edited around 80 layers save as PSD in "work file" (huge file as 16bit)
5)flatten image and save as jpeg ..save in 'work file"
6)save as tiff ready for printing if required and save in "work file"
7)save in max file size 500kb for web posting..save in "work file"
8)export jpeg to iPhoto to join library and put in albums e.g. family/pets etc

so as you can see a lot going on in the "created work file" and its becoming a jumbo now...so thinking of sub sectioning to jpeg/psd/tiff as sep work files

having only thought about lightroom but never used it I was thinking of taking the plunge...I phoned adobe and they told me that lightroom cannot import from or into iPhoto unless i go via the desk top....yet another 2 steps....so i haven't bothered with lightroom...but this is not the answer...

surely what I am doing is overcomplicated????
questions
1)memory struggling what to do?
2)how is the best way to organise these pics jpeg/psd/tiff
3)any easy access to LR
4) wondering if iPhoto is best library for this type of work

thanks in advance
shine

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Re: Is there a better way to organize myself?

Postby Onslow » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:43 pm

Shine, I am not familiar with mac software, A friend here, Pah43 Aka Paul is though and made the change to LR. My intenet is really crappy and I will struggle with replying unfortunately. I think a tutorial on workflow is a good idea to come up with and I shall write down mine and the reasons why I have adopted it.
However, I shall make a couple of points based on what you have provided so far. You have your images in iPhoto and external editor set to CC. Good so far. It seems you then send the image to CC, perform some work and save it as a PSD file. This should be considered your master file. Myself, I do not flatten master files as I will generally revisit them at some stage. At this point I have it back in LR. I have no need to create a Jpeg, tiff and then websize file. You have 3 copies floating around whereas one is all that is needed. Your master copy can create the others as and when required. It does save storage as well as simplify keeping track of them all.
When I need a web file, I use LR to convert correctly on the fly and use a plugin to upload to social media and other sites in various dimensions and sizes.. No jpg stays on the machine.
When I need to print the file, I again have LR print as I have setup presets for my various papers, printers, rendering intents and sizes. It sounds messy but it is a breeze once setup. Again, no separate copy on the machine. It uses the master to resize on the fly correctly as well as perform output sharpening.
The raw with the various exposure and other processing instructions is stored by LR.
By having various sub folders for jpgs, tiffs and psds, you are only adding to the complexity of your problem. I shall ask Paul to respond to this as well with his experience in the change over.

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby TomCofer » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:47 pm

Shine, I can't help you here a whole lot either. (I'm finding myself saying that far too much already and don't like it.)
I am not familiar with "iPhoto", 'cause I know nothing about it. I can tell you that Lightroom is fantastic. Not only does it do a great job of sorting and finding photos, it works with PS and can handle a lot of the early editing steps. A lot of folks here are starting to do all or nearly all of their work in Lightroom and not even going into PS.

One of it's features lets you group or batch export or save all your files into another size/format in any location you want and at the file size settings you choose. I'm finding that very useful here. I sorted thru thousand of files, Labeled "spider" and "history shots, resized them to pM attachment friendly sized jpegs and put them all into a folder in minutes! Lightroom rocks! (Why isn't Adobe paying me for saying that? - Oh yea, 'cause everyone else is saying it for free too.)

So... just guessing here since I know nothing about iPhoto but I think that if you learn Lightroom, you will drop iPhoto completely because you will not need it. If you happen to be using Photoshop CC thru a subscription, they throw Lightroom in the package too for no additional cost. Please folks, let's not get into the whole PS subscription vs. purchase argument here!

As far as your other organizing help, I'll have to bow out. In fact, I'll look forward to seeing the responses of those super-organized folks and may even take notes myself. As I type this, I'm looking around various stacks of stuff on my desk that I haven't gotten around to putting someplace.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Postby Shine Gonzalvez » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:17 pm

thanks for relpys guys...lets see what else turns up....i do have the subscription but never used LR for reasons already stated

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby TomCofer » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:34 pm

Shine Gonzalvez wrote:thanks for relpys guys...lets see what else turns up....i do have the subscription but never used LR for reasons already stated

I honestly think that if you give LR a serious try and get the in & outs of it you will probably see no need for iPhoto and it will make you happy.

(Kinda feel like Darth Vader trying to get Luke to come over to the Dark Side)

Seriously, I know it is a pain in the a** to spend the time to learn it (I'm still working on learning it myself). I think it is really worth the effort.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Postby Shine Gonzalvez » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:36 pm

on slow posted a link on LR somewhere ...need to go and find it.....again

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Postby Shine Gonzalvez » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:05 am

Anyone else on ideas for organising?

WesternGuy
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby WesternGuy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:37 am

Shine, if I read your description, you save 3 or 4 different versions of the same file psd, jpeg, tiff and web. My first question is - why? I do most of my editing in Lightroom, onOne Photo Suite 9 and Nik Software (now Google). I always save my original, raw file - one of the really nice things about Lightroom is that it doesn't make any changes to your "master" file. Rather, it saves all the editing in an .xmp, or "sidecar", file and only applies the edits to the image if you export it to something like PS or the web. I often will make changes to my Lightroom edit using Nik's software or onOne and these are saved as tiff files. I am also very fussy about keeping an image. I use the Library module of LR to go through my images after importing them and get rid of any that I know I will not be keeping - things with parts that are OOF, bad shots (e.g., an experiment that didn't work), etc. I keep very few images as jpgs or tifs. If I need a jpg for web posting, then I will make it when needed, not before. All my library images are kept in the raw form, until I need to convert it to something else. I currently have about 1.5TBs of images in my library. I could probably cut that down a bit, if I went through and culled some of the jpgs and tiffs that I don't need anymore, I can always remake them.

The other nice thing about LR, is the ability to make Virtual copies and work on them without making actual duplicates. Lightroom looks after all the "housekeeping" for the virtual copies. With these virtual copies, you can try out all kinds of different effects to see what they look like, even making a black and white conversion without requiring a lot of storage space for these "copies".

Another question, is why do you make a tiff for printing? You can print the edited raw file, which is what I do, unless it is already a tiff from one of the plugin packages. When you print, LR simply apples all the "edit changes" from the xmp file before it is sent to the printer, at least that is my understanding.

As far as how to organize these, I make extensive use of LR's ability to "keyword" all my images. I keep all images in a date based system. The top level is the year, then the month, then the day they were acquired. With keywords I can probably find just about any image in less than five minutes, assuming I know the key words.

I also make extensive use of collections, but that is another topic for discussion some other time. Anyway, I hope this helps. I will be travelling for a few days and may not get back to this discussion for a day or so, but if you still have any questions, then post them and I will try and answer them the best I can. Hopefully, others will add to this forum with their thoughts and experience.

WesternGuy
You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn't waste either. - Galen Rowell

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
My new blog: http://photowestguy.wordpress.com/

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Postby Shine Gonzalvez » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:50 pm

Thank you for that western guy.... I do all that means everything I ps ... But le is part of the package from Adobe ... So your lifestyle is in Lr?... You don't use iPhoto ?... Can you play a slide show to music from there and project it up on yr tv through Apple TV ? .... I can from iPhoto and this is great for running over holiday snaps.... Are all your holiday snaps in raw???...
Thanks in advance westernguy
Shine

PeteD
Mentoris Praefectus
Mentoris Praefectus

Postby PeteD » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:12 am

I know this is an older post but thought I would respond anyway. I recently got an Imac for Christmas. I still have the old Dell sitting right beside it and know if I "really" need something done right, quick, and know where I put it, I will go to the Dell. But I have been using the Mac more and more. Just got Lightroom 5. Can not use it on the Dell as it needs to have windows 7 or newer. It has XP. SO I put it on the Mac. Before using it I ventured to Youtube to look at some tutorials and no one discussed the issue you are asking about. So as I do with everything, I checked for updates. The update takes LR5 and installs some bug fixes and it comes out as LR 5.7. One of the fixes, is a plugin to import photos from Apeture and iphoto. SO you can now use LR 5 to import photos and video from apple computers easily.

As I stated, I am new to it. So I use folders (like in windows) for all my photos as dates mean absolutely nothing to me. I have many folders, animals, people, family, landscapes and so on. Once I import using the plugin, I edit them, and then move them to the corresponding folder. Then I can go to iphoto and delete the photo there as I do not need two copies of it on the computer. You can do slideshows from LR% and also add music to the slideshow.

I will probably still use iphoto (as I still use picture it 9 on the Dell) for really quick edit of snapshots for the web/forums/emails. It is just quicker as all I have to do is click save and share. But if it is something more important, LR5 will be the way for me. So many tools in it,

Return to “Digital Editing”