Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Help With Photoshop Action

Post by minniev » Thu May 24, 2018 8:39 pm

Duck wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:18 pm
So, it took some real investigative digging but I discovered one potential culprit.

Since this action relies on selections, go to your selection tools (left toolbar) and go down the line and make sure sample all layers is NOT selected. This will hang up the action guaranteed.

Hope this fixes your issue. Let me know.
Wow that's random! I'd never have guessed that.The only tool set to "sample all layers" was the clone tool. Could that have done it? Thank you for pursuing this, there is no help to be had from the developer, so I'm told.

I haven't had hangs today, just weird stuff like the action spitting out those "command not available" etc. And getting kaleidoscope colors painted in circles generally following the selection mask. And those hideous white ragged lines that definitely follow the selection mask. I've got some of that tamed. One particular layer, if turned off, will eliminate the white line.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu May 24, 2018 9:28 pm

while I might not be helping you, you are helping me become smarter about these things. Here is how to single-step your action == words stolen from the internet

JJMack Jan 30, 2016 6:46 AM (in response to elainee64286662)
If you highlight the first step in the action hold down the Ctrl or CMD key. Then every time you click the Play button one action step will Play and the Highlight will move to the next step in the action. As long as you keep the Ctrl of CMD key held down you will single step through the action with each click on the play button. You will see the results of each step. You will see the state you document is in when select is not available. It will be because of the document's current document state,

Also, if a given step is selected and you double click it, the parameters used pop up.

Also, I fail all the time because my default out of ACR is 16 bit color space. has to be 8 bit. And make sure that background layer is called "Background", and other layer is called "ga".

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Thu May 24, 2018 9:56 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:28 pm
Also, I fail all the time because my default out of ACR is 16 bit color space. has to be 8 bit. And make sure that background layer is called "Background", and other layer is called "ga".
Nice trick stepping forward one step at a time. I didn't know that one.

For the other, I build a custom "pre" action that automatically converts to 8 bit, creates the new selection layer and named appropriately for the given action, selects the brush and loads a bright color for me. So I run the "pre" action first, do my selection painting, then run the effect action. That way I don't have to keep track of what action uses what layer name, etc.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:23 am

I don't work with Photoshop yet but find these discussions fascinating! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"