Image ProcessingFamily photo.

mikec
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Family photo.

Post by mikec » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:00 pm

This past weekend the my whole family go together to celebrate my mothers life and we were able to have a group picture of everyone. I had one of the restaurants waiter take my camera and he took a picture.

As you can see there is flare on the right side. I don't have enough experience to figure out how to minimize or eliminate this.

Can anyone help? Or any suggestions. You are welcome to modify or do what ever.
Attachments
Family_.jpg
Mike C
Enjoying the sun and sea in Miami, FL

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:50 pm

mikec wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:00 pm
This past weekend the my whole family go together to celebrate my mothers life and we were able to have a group picture of everyone. I had one of the restaurants waiter take my camera and he took a picture.

As you can see there is flare on the right side. I don't have enough experience to figure out how to minimize or eliminate this.

Can anyone help? Or any suggestions. You are welcome to modify or do what ever.
Your friend here is the dehaze filter. It's in most recent versions of LR, PS, and others. It'll work best if you don't use it over the whole image like I did here - you can just apply it in a gradient from the right hand side so it won't affect the rest of the image so much, or you can use it on a layer and mask it in/out of the areas you want it. And of course work from the largest, most unedited version you have, as the dehazers are fairly brutal tools that can cause artifacts and oddities. This very rough approximation is NOT done in LR/PS because guess what, mine are on the fritz this morning and I'm troubleshooting them. So I did this little demo in On1 which also has dehaze.
Attachments
editmike copy.jpg
editmike copy.jpg (300.38 KiB) Viewed 424 times
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

mikec
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Post by mikec » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:05 pm

Thanks Minnie, I also have a trial copy of On1 and will have a try at it.
Mike C

mikec
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Post by mikec » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:15 pm

Received a PM and it was indicated whether I had a raw file for this shot. I have to say I do not. This was shot with my wife's camera and I did not check her settings. My bad. I feel terrible about this as the chance of getting us all together again is slim as people are all over the country. I will keep trying however. I guess this will give me the chance to really learn my processing software. I am checking out three. On1 Photo Raw 2018, Luminar 2018 and Alien Skin Software Exposure X3. Attracted to On1 and Alien as they already have a process for a DAM.
Mike C

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:17 pm

mikec wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:15 pm
Received a PM and it was indicated whether I had a raw file for this shot. I have to say I do not. This was shot with my wife's camera and I did not check her settings. My bad. I feel terrible about this as the chance of getting us all together again is slim as people are all over the country. I will keep trying however. I guess this will give me the chance to really learn my processing software. I am checking out three. On1 Photo Raw 2018, Luminar 2018 and Alien Skin Software Exposure X3. Attracted to On1 and Alien as they already have a process for a DAM.
Convert the biggest version you have of it to a TIFF before you start editing, and it will likely hold up better. Do you have PS or LR? I don't know much about Luminar or Alien but can stumble around in On1 a little with ya!

mikec
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Post by mikec » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:19 pm

Great idea Minnie, did not know that could be done. Will work on it this weekend. Thanks for the offer on On1. Is that what you are using or thinking of moving too?
Mike C

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:29 pm

No, I'm too used to LR and PS, and that's what I use for the most part. I access all my plugins via PS. However, I got On1 when Adobe threatened to double the price of the CC package a couple of years back, and I figured I needed an option. I've kept On1 up because that could still happen. As long as I'm only into Adobe for $10 a month I'm happy. But On1 is a good alternative. I'm not as competent in it, but I see its value. They are also heavily invested in making it better each iteration. They want to give Adobe a run for its money in the photography sector.

As far as the TIff, you can't make a raw out of a jpeg, but a TIFF is much richer and won't degrade as badly, so copy your jpeg, convert it to as big an uncompressed TIff as you can, and dig in. (Never edit an original file that isn't raw).

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:50 pm

Min is 100% right on all counts. I incidentally worked in all-jpeg for years, doing all my processing in Photoshop Elements which is a "destructive" program, but there is no problem provided you never work the original out-of-camera jpeg. I didn't convert to Tiff's, I just made another jpeg, but the principle is simply that if you never touch your original you can always go back, save another copy, and do something else. I've had Lightroom for 3 years now and find it works every bit as well on jpegs as it does on raw files, and because it is non-destructive I needn't make another file because I can always revert to the original state and start over, or make a "virtual copy" which I don't quite understand since it takes up no space in the drive but can be worked and exported exactly as if it were a "real" file. :)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:57 pm

You have a beautiful family, and thank you for the fascinating discussion! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"