The only person you should try to be better than is who you were yesterday. – unknown

Image ProcessingBaby step in PS: Ta Dah!

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Baby step in PS: Ta Dah!

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:49 pm

Thanks Minnie. Just the advice I need since I have been thinking along those lines. Great support here. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:51 pm

minniev wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:28 pm
Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:32 pm
Thanks, Chuck. I am a very patient man so I will take my time. I will look up Select and Mask to find out what it is and where it is on PS. The tutorial has not yet covered that.

Reading about the amount of time you spent doing the work on the photo made me realize that the PS processing requires some cost/benefit analysis. At the moment, I don't believe I have too many photos, if any, that would merit an hour or more of reworking. Maybe I should practice so I can learn it and try it out on some photos I like to see what develops. And then I can decide. All good stuff from you, as always, especially doing the work at high magnification. Thanks. Matt
How many and which images you take into advanced PP is always your choice, Matt. Remember that Chuck has a wealth of travel images from fabulous locations, that haven't had the benefit of his newer processing skills. Your decisions will be based on what you have, and how much you're adding to that. I definitely don't take every image into PS, only those that I'm not able to reach my own goals for in LR alone. That includes those that I want to turn into something artistic, those that have significant cloning or masking needs, those that I want to print at enlarged sizes, and many of my monochrome conversions. Of 100 shots, I delete about half and then may take 2 into PS on the average. You will find your way when you learn what PS will and won't do for you, and may only spend the extra time when you really want to. But for those special shots you really want to maximize, it's a great toolset.
Hear, hear! Minnie does about what I do. I hadn't been discarding so many owing to shooting jpegs for years, but in the last 4 years I've become pretty ruthless at deleting anything that doesn't measure up because the raw files take so much space. Also, as I have been going back years in the archives and reworking, I've also started deleting older files too. Since I got into Creative Cloud I guesstimate that close to 90% of all processing starts and ends in Lightroom. I only go to PS for things that either LR does not do at all, or does less well. Anything involving compositing has to go to PS because it inevitably means layers and masking. I should not be putting stuff into your thread and I'll take it out if you wish, but below is another example I just did today. Not sure how much time, but it involved 4 layers, 2 masks, some cloning, and all because I am obsessed with forcing Shutterstock to accept this image. You may have to look close. Before is on the left.
Attachments
DSC06062.b4after.EMlr.jpg
Shutterstock has rejected this twice because the signage on the building is readable. They DO NOT CARE that it is a century old and long defunct. So I very carefully copied and moved the word COFFEE over the word MILADY, cloned out the long-dead Mr. Lau, did some other finagling including box blurring the blue-and-gold sign (barely readable on the side of the building but not readable at all now. I have submitted the newest version and we shall see...
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:51 pm

Noticed it immediately, Chuck; clever replacement of coffee. Well done. Also noticed that the clock almost acts like a sundial, pointing straight at the coffee house to hurry you up for your 7 o'clock cuppa.

Thanks for the advice. I benefit from your experience and fulsome explanations. Keep them coming. Matt
Matt Quinn

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:43 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:51 pm
Noticed it immediately, Chuck; clever replacement of coffee. Well done. Also noticed that the clock almost acts like a sundial, pointing straight at the coffee house to hurry you up for your 7 o'clock cuppa.

Thanks for the advice. I benefit from your experience and fulsome explanations. Keep them coming. Matt
Thank you for your patience, Matt. And they rejected it again. Said they couldn't accept it since they could see it had been "shopped." So I give up. I think they mean where I blanked H.P. Lau and maybe where I blurred the blue-and-gold sign on the other wall because otherwise that "shopping" is pretty seamless.

From your perspective the thing is just to show what can be done with practice, and I am nowhere near the skill level of Dave Chinn or Piet Francke. I started to learn some of this stuff because I wanted to. I learned early how to swap faces. In many cases it's not a whole face but just the eyes in case of a blink, but it's also a reason I usually shoot short bursts, 2 or 3, to give me the option, especially if it's a group because someone almost always blinks or sticks their tongue out. I also like to add clouds to skies when appropriate, and I think you know I have no scruples about moving birds where they should have been but birds are dumb and don't take direction well. :lol:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:13 am

Sweet, Chuck. And crafty. Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:13 am

Wow, there's some excellent advice here! Thank you for starting this! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri May 25, 2018 9:23 pm

Duck,

"it's okay to be a little off."

Is this little enough? Trying mightily to be patient and careful. I have an Intuos tablet but found that frustrating, with too many motions, but I suspect I will go back to it now that I have braved the PS jungle.

Matt
Attachments
photoMentoris (1 of 1)-9.jpg
photoMentoris (1 of 1)-9.jpg (86.23 KiB) Viewed 217 times
Matt Quinn

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri May 25, 2018 9:55 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:23 pm
Duck,

"it's okay to be a little off."

Is this little enough? Trying mightily to be patient and careful. I have an Intuos tablet but found that frustrating, with too many motions, but I suspect I will go back to it now that I have braved the PS jungle.

Matt

Nicely done. After a while it gets easier and you'll want to move on to faster methods. Trust me, you'll outgrow the 'painting' method of making selections. However, this method is a good base since even the faster methods rely on adjusting and cleaning up the edges with this method. As for the tablet. That too will become easier. I can't go back to a mouse for editing and illustrating.

Bravo.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat May 26, 2018 2:15 pm

Bravo.

Thanks Duck. I did most of the work in PS: adjustments, conversion to b&w, quick select tool, select and mask till I got the bloom isolated but it was all white and the background was still visible. I wanted the reverse: bloom visible and the background black. An hour of random, aimless hunting finally yielded the result I wanted--somewhat. Then I sent the image back into Lightroom and painted what I was not able to remove in PS. Perfect it's not; small step, it is.

Set up the tablet this morning and put the mouse aside. Started a tutorial; let's see where this goes.

Many thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sat May 26, 2018 2:24 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 2:15 pm
Set up the tablet this morning and put the mouse aside. Started a tutorial; let's see where this goes.

Many thanks. Matt
Eh, forget the tutorial. With a tablet is all about getting used to it. Open up a blank document in Photoshop and just start messing around. Get a feel for the new coordination between hand and screen. That's the trickiest. The rest will fall in place,
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage