Image Processingmockingbird workflow

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

mockingbird workflow

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:17 am

got a shot of a mockingbird and wanted to see if I could improve the image. It was taken late afternoon early evening. The first image is a heavy crop of the bird.
MockClip.jpg
then tried to follow a tutorial using curves to remove the color casts
mockColorCorrection.jpg
then I played with contrast, the bird got strong contrast, the back ground had contrast reduced.
mockContrast.jpg

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:21 am

then missing the sunset aspect, I used Nik software to bring back some sunset..
mockNik warm sunset.jpg
And then I blurred the background and sharpened the bird
mockSharpen.jpg
And also figured out how to take a given layer and export it (but I think the files ended up larger than they could have been - I forgot to reduce to 8bit color) Will do better next time.

Could have done some other things too, like give it punch with a highpass overlay layer, but this was good fun for today..

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:53 pm

so I worked on it a touch more,, the next step was to use screen mode to make the bird's bright areas even brighter
mockScreen.jpg
and then a high pass overlay on the bird's head and near wing for more punch

mock high pass overlay.jpg
In each step, I used a mask to selectively keep or get rid of changes, so that only the part of the image that I wanted to see changed got changed...

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:49 pm

I really enjoyed following along Piet. You turned this one from snapshot to an artistic photo one step at a time. I may have missed it, but I'm not sure about correcting color casts with curves. Did you post a link on another thread? Sounds interesting. The biggest changes you made involved getting separation of the bird from the background with selective sharpening/blurring, eliminating distractions, and managing light.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:16 pm

minniev wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:49 pm
I really enjoyed following along Piet. You turned this one from snapshot to an artistic photo one step at a time. I may have missed it, but I'm not sure about correcting color casts with curves. Did you post a link on another thread? Sounds interesting. The biggest changes you made involved getting separation of the bird from the background with selective sharpening/blurring, eliminating distractions, and managing light.
Hi Min, correcting the color cast is something that I have never done and I was amazed at how much detail was brought back into the image when I did it. I recently bought a used book from Amazon for 12 bucks or there abouts, and I am still confused and befuddled by the process, so I keep doing it over and over and slowly more sinks in each time. I bought Welcome to Oz 2.0 from Vincent Versace (a cinematic approach to digital still photography with photoshop). I don't recall if he was mentioned here or if I just stumbled onto it, but it is loaded with the "why" of processing an image. Highly recommended book.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:20 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:16 pm
minniev wrote:
Hi Min, correcting the color cast is something that I have never done and I was amazed at how much detail was brought back into the image when I did it. I recently bought a used book from Amazon for 12 bucks or there abouts, and I am still confused and befuddled by the process, so I keep doing it over and over and slowly more sinks in each time. I bought Welcome to Oz 2.0 from Vincent Versace (a cinematic approach to digital still photography with photoshop). I don't recall if he was mentioned here or if I just stumbled onto it, but it is loaded with the "why" of processing an image. Highly recommended book.
I have that book, Versace is one of my favorite "teachers" with his precision in planning/execution in PS. I'll plunder through it and look for that section. I get dizzy reading too much of it, have to have it in small doses. I will never reach his degree of precision.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:29 pm

minniev wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:20 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:16 pm
minniev wrote:
I have that book, Versace is one of my favorite "teachers" with his precision in planning/execution in PS. I'll plunder through it and look for that section. I get dizzy reading too much of it, have to have it in small doses. I will never reach his degree of precision.
it was near the beginning, page 20 started with using the threshold adjustment as a tool to find the black point, white point, mid point and then it went from there making use of those points with three curve adjustments.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:41 am

Mockingbird.jpg
more play

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No