Image Processingpractice

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

practice

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:20 pm

yesterday we took a walk at the beach and I got a number of water/surf photos and numerous bird shots. I have been learning and practicing to use the Pen tool for extractions. The extractions are then saved as transparent background png files. The first image is documentation of the first four extracts that I did (the bottom four). The four higher up were my attempts at making the buzzard look like he belongs... Clearly I have a lot of work to do to figure out how to make it look like it belongs in the color/tone world, but at least I can now make a decent extraction. There was a halo effect though, and I don't know if the best thing to do is lightly erase such and edge, or if I should color/paint/darken, such edges.
pract.jpg
The second image was a surprise image. I saw a bird flying back towards land from the sea and took it's picture. I think it is a hawk. I think the payload it is carrying was a bird that was floating about and just got picked off. If this is so, then these ocean hawks must eat pretty good, doesn't seem like there would be any easy way to escape, other than being in numbers...

doomed.jpg
doomed.jpg (26.68 KiB) Viewed 647 times

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:59 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:20 pm
yesterday we took a walk at the beach and I got a number of water/surf photos and numerous bird shots. I have been learning and practicing to use the Pen tool for extractions. The extractions are then saved as transparent background png files. The first image is documentation of the first four extracts that I did (the bottom four). The four higher up were my attempts at making the buzzard look like he belongs... Clearly I have a lot of work to do to figure out how to make it look like it belongs in the color/tone world, but at least I can now make a decent extraction. There was a halo effect though, and I don't know if the best thing to do is lightly erase such and edge, or if I should color/paint/darken, such edges.

pract.jpg

The second image was a surprise image. I saw a bird flying back towards land from the sea and took it's picture. I think it is a hawk. I think the payload it is carrying was a bird that was floating about and just got picked off. If this is so, then these ocean hawks must eat pretty good, doesn't seem like there would be any easy way to escape, other than being in numbers...

doomed.jpg
You are a brave soul Piet Francke. I tangled with the pen tool yesterday for the first time and made a gosh awful mess that I simply had to delete and go elsewhere. You've got respectable extractions here. Getting stuff to belong in photos they didn't originate in is another battle altogether, made up of layers, blending modes, masking, textures, and a lot of light-management.

Poor birdie in #2, the perils of life as prey.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:27 pm

minniev wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:59 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
...Getting stuff to belong in photos they didn't originate in is another battle altogether, made up of layers, blending modes, masking, textures, and a lot of light-management. ..
putting a grunge layer and trickery like that can help unify an image.. layers, blending, masking, textures, light management, using PS to do things on a technical level is one thing (much easier to achieve), but knowing/seeing the problems and then knowing/seeing the solutions is an entirely different issue.

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:14 pm

PietFrancke wrote:

pract.jpg

doomed.jpg

Piet, I have no idea on how to use the pen tool to create what you've got here. Looks fantastic !!! Although I do wonder how this would look without the lower section of birds. Nice capture on the second image.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:47 pm

just to clarify, the pen tool lets you create an outline (path) in PS that can then be turned into an extraction. So basically, it is mostly used as a way to create extractions. The image was just depicting what the birds looked like before and after "blending" them in. There was no attempt to make an "image" out of it, though it does seem kind of interesting with the different wing positions of the bird shown. LOL - pure coincidence if it looks "good" - the only attempt on my end was to share that I have been learning the Pen tool and that it seems to do good extractions, and that "blending" (making it look like it belongs) is no Picnic!! (involves knowledge I do not feel I have)

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:00 am

As I read this exchange, I say Huh? A foreign language. Good for you to experiment this way. I am, in a sense, still at the point and shoot stage relative to PS. I do auto raw, some other fiddling with the lasso tool but that exhausts my skills there. I know, I can always learn. But I yield to the temptation of Lightroom and Silver Effex. We second/third tier people are here to may you fellows look good, in and of yourselves of course, but also by odious comparisons. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:18 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:00 am
As I read this exchange, I say Huh? A foreign language. Good for you to experiment this way. I am, in a sense, still at the point and shoot stage relative to PS. I do auto raw, some other fiddling with the lasso tool but that exhausts my skills there. I know, I can always learn. But I yield to the temptation of Lightroom and Silver Effex. We second/third tier people are here to may you fellows look good, in and of yourselves of course, but also by odious comparisons. Matt
LOL - Matt, you are a Fine looking fellow. If you saw what I looked like, you would know that you have to work Much Harder - to make Me look Good!!! :lol: :lol:

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:09 am

I'm with Matt if it's not in the frame its not getting printed. I say that but admire those that know how. Fun stuff! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"