"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

Image ProcessingLost

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Lost

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:49 am

a few months ago, the cat knocked the boat off the bookcase. Which gave me a chance to fix it as best I could and today as a reward I took a picture of it on our back railing next to some shells we had found on the beach.

Also this morning, I looked out the window and the hawk was sitting on a tree branch nearby, so I got a not too good of shot of it. I tried sneaking out the back door and around the house, but it saw me coming... the earlier shot had to do.

And finally, Duck's tutorial made me realize how helpless and hopeless I am with Photoshop, so I watched a lot of you-tube videos about particle brushes.

waves and light pull me
Our travels take us further
Today I feel LOST
lostS.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:31 am

Wow!!! luv it

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:29 pm

The poem is very moving, the image compelling. I love the background - colors, light, texture. Shells as waves is quite inspired!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:17 pm

thanks Frank and Linda, I think it came out better than I thought it would. I'm scared to touch it, but It needs better waves/water. The center shell isn't properly grounded (watered) - unless I make it a flying shell - LOL. The back shell is too bright (perhaps). The boat looks good, but perhaps too clean. Perhaps something should loom in the background/haze/mist/fog. Not done with it, but Am scared of it, if that makes sense - don't want to mess up the part that is good.

I saw the shells as waves also, but then started to see them as creatures..

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:39 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:49 am
a few months ago, the cat knocked the boat off the bookcase. Which gave me a chance to fix it as best I could and today as a reward I took a picture of it on our back railing next to some shells we had found on the beach.

Also this morning, I looked out the window and the hawk was sitting on a tree branch nearby, so I got a not too good of shot of it. I tried sneaking out the back door and around the house, but it saw me coming... the earlier shot had to do.

And finally, Duck's tutorial made me realize how helpless and hopeless I am with Photoshop, so I watched a lot of you-tube videos about particle brushes.

waves and light pull me
Today I feel LOST

lostS.jpg
I think it's wonderful. I'm probably more helpless than you are, and am in need of more than tutorials.

I've never fooled with particle brushes but will add them to the list.

I might have preferred more surrounding space to give more feeling of isolation to the boat with its hawk-sailor, adrift on their lovely but treacherous shells. But that's a small concern. Well conceived, and well executed in a way I can't even imagine.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:34 pm

Well shoot, I never even saw the hawk! And shells as sea creatures is a super-cool interpretation (from the OP). Be fearless in your own journey, Piet! If you're working in layers you can always just roll back :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:10 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:49 am

waves and light pull me
Today I feel LOST

lostS.jpg

I love this image Piet !!! This would be outstanding on canvas. Photoshop is a never ending tutorial venture of education. Doesn't matter how we learn, YouTube tutorials or some that others have created, makes no difference, just as long we can remember .... what we've learned !!! Would loved to have seen the hawk as well.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:43 pm

thank you so much Dave, Linda, Minnie - Everyone has a kitchen sink, so here is the kitchen sink version adding in some birds and a different mood.
lost2S.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:47 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:43 pm
thank you so much Dave, Linda, Minnie - Everyone has a kitchen sink, so here is the kitchen sink version adding in some birds and a different mood.lost2S.jpg
You know I love a good kitchen sink, especially when filled with birds....
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:16 pm

I like it! I see the shells as sea foam. It took me a minute to realize they are conch shells (even though you said what they were in your OP duh). I also missed the hawk on the centerboard trunk until I opened it in a tab and enlarged, but s/he stands out fine in the "big picture." I like the second version better for the increased wave action along the freeboard plus the cooler colors --- it looks better cooler (I think anyway). You also toned down the brighter shells which makes them look (to me) even more like sea foam rather than creatures (I never saw them as creatures). I think it's all very imaginative and fantasy. (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|