"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas Alva Edison

Image ProcessingMordor

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Mordor

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:44 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:53 pm
Matt Quinn wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:17 am
Matt
hi Matt, I appreciate the distinction between farther and further. Further sounds cooler, Farther is what I meant - now I know!

The miniatures are mine, I painted and mounted them, most of them are from the game BattleLore. I glued the minis onto blocks of wood and placed them on the game board and snapped an image. The background is a fractal that I created when I was into fractals. They are very organic and realistic to life (to me anyway).. I felt they looked like mountains or castle walls or such and thus seemed perfect background for a helter-skelter battle scene.

About image three vs four, four was the last one, but I gather/think you preferred the look of three as the finished item. Note to me, the last probably has too much saturation. But the last if you zoom in has the least original pixels and is the most smeared.
Thanks, Piet. How does one zoom in? I click on the photo and use my fingers on the track pad but that expands the photo a mere 20% or so. Is that it?

You have a rich imagination and infinite patience if transforming what you imagine to what we can see. A true gift. Well done. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

PietFrancke
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:56 am

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:06 am
Interesting Stuff!
thanks Ernst - we have no reason to be bored - in the world we live in.. that's for sure.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:04 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:44 am
PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:53 pm
Matt Quinn wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:17 am
Matt
hi Matt, I appreciate the distinction between farther and further. Further sounds cooler, Farther is what I meant - now I know!

The miniatures are mine, I painted and mounted them, most of them are from the game BattleLore. I glued the minis onto blocks of wood and placed them on the game board and snapped an image. The background is a fractal that I created when I was into fractals. They are very organic and realistic to life (to me anyway).. I felt they looked like mountains or castle walls or such and thus seemed perfect background for a helter-skelter battle scene.

About image three vs four, four was the last one, but I gather/think you preferred the look of three as the finished item. Note to me, the last probably has too much saturation. But the last if you zoom in has the least original pixels and is the most smeared.
Thanks, Piet. How does one zoom in? I click on the photo and use my fingers on the track pad but that expands the photo a mere 20% or so. Is that it?

You have a rich imagination and infinite patience if transforming what you imagine to what we can see. A true gift. Well done. Matt
Yeah, the image is smaller than most - the resolution of our images has gotten greater with new hardware! I wish we could upload our full size versions to PM.. though the argument can be made that 1600 or 1800 pixels is wide enough for online viewing - certainly for a quick look. I can't remember the width, but for some reason I had to reduce the height to 1080 or some such before I could upload for some reason.

About my thinking process.. it is more of a hodge-podge throwing of elements together and getting happy accidents. When something catches my interest, my best characteristic is the ability to keep plodding along, and the realization that the journey itself is often the greater reward than the destination.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:36 pm

You had me at Mordor! And I confess, the first is your best, but your verse makes the journey into the dark worth the travels.

For those of you who haven't already, open the first as a sperate image and zoom in. You may not understand the reference to Tolkien's Lord Of The Rings, or the game BattleLore, but you can appreciate the time and detail involved here. I miss the White Wizard and the All-seeing Eye, but cannot blame for the beauty of your creation. Mostly though I'm impressed how lifelike the fractal seems! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"