The only person you should try to be better than is who you were yesterday. – unknown

Image ProcessingThe Picture that Hooked Me on Digital Post Processing. PLEASE POST YOUR OWN IF

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: The Picture that Hooked Me on Digital Post Processing

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:55 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:59 pm
...I'd love to see anything anyone wants to show of oldies but goodies revisited... :thanks:
My oldies only extend to the beginning of my membership on another forum, November 2012, and some are just the 640-px thumbnails. I got my first dslr in late 2008, and sometime later attempted to learn Corel Paintshop Pro. Hated it! I did have fun with Picasa, and once I purchased PS Elements and Nik Collection, there was no turning back.

1. 2014: after I got PS Elements 12 + Nik Collection but was still in love with Picasa mattes and frames.

2. 2013: a very long distant shot with bridge camera in heavy fog, then a few exploratory clicks in Picasa. I have always remembered the delight of discovery from those "early" days! The copy/paste from thumbnail makes this look even worse than on the other site :D
Attachments
1404004103836-img_6521_detail__nik_tonal_contr_70pc_vign_matte.jpg
thumb-1386732124953-img_3051__2_.jpg
thumb-1386732124953-img_3051__2_.jpg (54.15 KiB) Viewed 524 times
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:10 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:55 pm
My oldies only extend to the beginning of my membership on another forum, November 2012, and some are just the 640-px thumbnails. I got my first dslr in late 2008, and sometime later attempted to learn Corel Paintshop Pro. Hated it! I did have fun with Picasa, and once I purchased PS Elements and Nik Collection, there was no turning back.

1. 2014: after I got PS Elements 12 + Nik Collection but was still in love with Picasa mattes and frames.

2. 2013: a very long distant shot with bridge camera in heavy fog, then a few exploratory clicks in Picasa. I have always remembered the delight of discovery from those "early" days! The copy/paste from thumbnail makes this look even worse than on the other site :D
I think they are both lovely. The first is sharp, crisp in every detail, iridescent, pose is awesome, and the finishing is wonderful, really isolating the bird (barn swallow?). The second has a very Zen quality that I like very much. (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:29 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:59 pm

Min, if you like, please post your own! I just amended the topic title. I suspect what hooked a lot of us was being in wet darkrooms watching that magic take place in the developing tray. You and I and I'm sure many others never got over it, yet while I get personally nostalgic at the perfume of acetic acid I don't really miss it. I'd love to see anything anyone wants to show of oldies but goodies revisited... :thanks:
Dusk at Hopewell Rocks, 2008 June. In those days i was still capturing raw+jpeg, not yet trusting that I would know what to do with the jpeg, so here's both.
Attachments
hr (1 of 1).jpg
hr (1 of 1)-2.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:11 pm

minniev wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:29 pm
Dusk at Hopewell Rocks, 2008 June. In those days i was still capturing raw+jpeg, not yet trusting that I would know what to do with the jpeg, so here's both.
Thank you, Minnie! That is a wonderful picture! Beautiful natural framing, a person for scale, great detail in the sky, and a spot of sun dapple on the trees. Have you ever tried processing the jpeg for detail? When I started and for (too) many years thereafter I worked thousands of jpegs. My first cameras didn't even output raw so it was jpegs or nuthin'. The detail is there, just not all the raw data for its nuance. You should have plenty to work with as you did not overexpose it. Raw tolerates a good deal more overexposure than jpeg. It would just be a curiosity thing. Since shifting to all-raw I don't even bother to make a jpeg. I don't feel I need them taking up space, but they might have usefulness as a guide.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:41 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:11 pm
minniev wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:29 pm
Thank you, Minnie! That is a wonderful picture! Beautiful natural framing, a person for scale, great detail in the sky, and a spot of sun dapple on the trees. Have you ever tried processing the jpeg for detail? When I started and for (too) many years thereafter I worked thousands of jpegs. My first cameras didn't even output raw so it was jpegs or nuthin'. The detail is there, just not all the raw data for its nuance. You should have plenty to work with as you did not overexpose it. Raw tolerates a good deal more overexposure than jpeg. It would just be a curiosity thing. Since shifting to all-raw I don't even bother to make a jpeg. I don't feel I need them taking up space, but they might have usefulness as a guide.
Once I got my first DSLR, I moved to raw-only within 2 months. I shot both for the first couple of months because I didn't trust myself, but once I found out how easy it was, and how much less noise and artifacts went with the raw as opposed to the jpeg, I never shot jpeg again except once when my camera got stuck on jpeg-only on a trip. It was one of those once in a lifetime scenery days, so I just exposed with extra special care +bracketing, accepted what jpeg gave me and ended up with some great pictures. Modern jpeg engines are very good. But because I like to play hard with my photos, I still shoot raw only.

To specifically answer your question, I once processed one of the Hopewell Rock images and posted both on one of those endless raw vs jpeg arguments on The Forum That Can't Be Named as a comparison, and there was noticeable difference in noise and smoothness of detail especially in the trees. Probably wouldn't matter unless looked at at 100%.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:32 pm

I am seeing some nice images, I particularly like your first bird Linda.

here is one of my first images. My first camera was digital - I was completely overwhelmed but the magic of being able to play with the image on a computer eventually sucked me in such that photography is at least as important as any of my other hobbies.

and a rework of the old image. Just can't leave the old images alone!!
agincourtS.jpg
agincourtS2.jpg

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:21 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:32 pm
I am seeing some nice images, I particularly like your first bird Linda.

here is one of my first images. My first camera was digital - I was completely overwhelmed but the magic of being able to play with the image on a computer eventually sucked me in such that photography is at least as important as any of my other hobbies.

and a rework of the old image. Just can't leave the old images alone!!

agincourtS.jpg

agincourtS2.jpg
Wow! I see by the title and looking closely at the picture that the foreground is the battle of Agincourt in miniature, but good heavens what is all that wild sci-fi-fantasy stuff?! It is very appropriate, very foreboding. Did you photograph it or did you otherwise create it? It is wonderful!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:08 am

"When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things." ... and lost my way.

Let's remember what it means that everything is possible and continue to help each other to see as we once did! ! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"