Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Image quality comparison, please

Post by St3v3M » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:26 am

Duck wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:50 pm
Overall, I take back my earlier comment as it was probably due to viewing angle differences rather than actual physical differences in the files.

Hope this new analysis helps. :thanks:
I noticed the same and wonder if it was the angle of view, and or that there might be a filter on your screen and depending on how you look at it the color and contrast change with it. It's interesting though and a fun exercise! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

pop511
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Post by pop511 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:02 pm

Linda;
The sky is different. Clouds/barn. Tree on the right. I could go on, but there are differences in all elements. I don't have an expensive monitor, just a ho hum LG 19". The only calibration, if you can call it that, is that I use a black to white strip that came with the graphic card software.Work in 32/16bit and print/review in srgb? Oh boy, are you going to loose detail in fine subtle areas. Perhaps my biggest "groan" is printer manufacturers who will say their printer has a wider gamut. What the hell does that mean. I questioned that to an Epson rep at a trade fair. He didn't know. I remember when I was working for a retail chain in their IT section, and the store was selling some printers at a discount. Only it cost MORE to BUY another set of inks than to buy the printer complete. Why do we have to put up with this nonsense? It's 2018 not 1918.
ed davis

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:03 pm

pop511 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:02 pm
Linda;
The sky is different. Clouds/barn. Tree on the right. I could go on, but there are differences in all elements. I don't have an expensive monitor, just a ho hum LG 19". The only calibration, if you can call it that, is that I use a black to white strip that came with the graphic card software.Work in 32/16bit and print/review in srgb? Oh boy, are you going to loose detail in fine subtle areas. Perhaps my biggest "groan" is printer manufacturers who will say their printer has a wider gamut. What the hell does that mean. I questioned that to an Epson rep at a trade fair. He didn't know. I remember when I was working for a retail chain in their IT section, and the store was selling some printers at a discount. Only it cost MORE to BUY another set of inks than to buy the printer complete. Why do we have to put up with this nonsense? It's 2018 not 1918.
Thanks so much, Ed! Which one did you feel looked better?
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

pop511
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Post by pop511 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:07 pm

Thanks so much, Ed! Which one did you feel looked better?
Gosh Linda. They are so similar. If I have to do that, then I'll pick the first. If only that the tree to the right of the barn has more detail.
I think what is more important, is that TO YOU which one describes the scene as you remember it?
Have fun!
ed davis

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:47 pm

pop511 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:07 pm
(on which looks better) Gosh Linda. They are so similar. If I have to do that, then I'll pick the first. If only that the tree to the right of the barn has more detail.
I think what is more important, is that TO YOU which one describes the scene as you remember it?
Have fun!
I can't really see any difference :D Earlier in the thread, Duck made several comments re the differences, but later he decided it was just the angle of view from his laptop. Chuck couldn't see any difference either. #1 is resized the way I always did prior to wanting to check out the "save for web" feature, so I guess I'll keep doing that way. Many thanks!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by rmalarz » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:45 pm

Linda, if there is a difference, I can't see it on the monitor I'm currently using. It's a work monitor and not really set up for graphics, though we do a lot of work in a graphic environment. We're just not all that critical about color and contrast. I was mostly looking at sharpness.
--Bob
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:19 pm

rmalarz wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:45 pm
Linda, if there is a difference, I can't see it on the monitor I'm currently using. It's a work monitor and not really set up for graphics, though we do a lot of work in a graphic environment. We're just not all that critical about color and contrast. I was mostly looking at sharpness.
--Bob
Your time is much appreciated, Bob!

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:28 am

Linda, I am late to this party, but here's my two bits. I am using a 15 inch MacBook Air and have both images open at the same time. My reaction would be the same as Duck's first, but not with the specificity. I prefer the second image. But since this has progressed beyond that early point, I yield the floor. Well done. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange