"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

Image ProcessingImage quality comparison, please

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Image quality comparison, please

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:52 pm

New computer + newest PS Elements, oh boy!

#1 - my usual resize
#2 - "save for web" option in PSE (no exif)

Any difference to those of you with sharp eyes?

Thanks much!
Attachments
1 no psd P1100106 resize.jpg
1 no-psd-P1100106-web.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by Duck » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:30 pm

The biggest difference I notice is the first one has more contrast in both luminosity and color.

I notice shadow contrast in the dark area of the loft through the opening at top. The rafters are more visible in the second image. You can also see the contrast in the clouds. As for color contrast, that's noticeable in the color tones of the barn itself; roof, sides... even the grasses.

My preference is the lower image.

Hope this input helps.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:05 am

LindaShorey wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:52 pm
Any difference to those of you with sharp eyes?
It looks like the top has a little better definition of the color and contrast but when I open them in separate tabs and flip between the two I don't see any real difference. If I didn't know better I would say they are the exact same image. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:09 pm

Duck, thanks so much. You must be viewing on one of those 32" 4k screens! :) Also, I'm reminded of an older tv show on HGTV with David Bromsted (a painter/decorator). He could go into a store, see a pillow and say it was the perfect color for the room. Does your artist's background enable you to discern subtleties in color and contrast more readily?

Steve, it is the same image re-sized two different ways. There is a 20 kb difference in file size, but on my screens (15.6" laptop and 13.3" Chromebook), I can't tell the differences that eagle-eyed Duck can find.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:35 pm

Like you, Steve, I have both files open in tabs as I always do so I can toggle between them. I can see absolutely NO difference between them. I also thought perhaps they were the exact same file but I checked very carefully and see the different ID's on them, the second one Saved For Web (I've never used that, by the way; I think it just downsizes them).

I even went downstairs and opened them both on my big, calibrated-every-month machine. Toggle, toggle, toggle... No difference. Not no discernible difference; NO difference. No difference in shadow contrast. No "more visible rafters." No "different color contrast," nuthin'.

My eyes are 75 going on 76 plus I have had two surgeries on the right so there's that... :|
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:03 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:35 pm
Like you, Steve, I have both files open in tabs as I always do so I can toggle between them. I can see absolutely NO difference between them....
Thanks so much for checking, Chuck. One difference with "save for web" is it strips exif. And now that I have a new laptop which, for now anyway, I'm keeping online, I decided to compare colors with the HP Chromebook (I could dig out my Toshiba too, and really have a ball, ha) - when viewing on websites such as pM.

While my own aging eyes see almost no difference in clarity and brightness, the Chromebook appears to show blues as more cyan than the Asus laptop.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:50 pm

I decided to do some more reliable exploration of the images. When I was viewing them on my laptop, at night, in lower light, while reclined, the top image looked more contrasty. Viewing the same images on my work computer (where I'm writing this from) the two images look identical, leading me to question things.

Taking point samples from both images at various parts of the image shows no perceivable difference. Overlaying the web over the resized image and applying a difference layer blend shows they are both almost identical identical; So close it's not worth mentioning. On pixel peeping though, I find there is slightly more noise contrast in the web version over the resized version. Again, so minor it's not really worth mentioning as the emphasis is on slight. The majority of what I saw as different was the compression artifacts of the JPG, which is normal. Each had slightly different artifacting going on but it was more similar than different and also not really worth mentioning.

Overall, I take back my earlier comment as it was probably due to viewing angle differences rather than actual physical differences in the files.

Hope this new analysis helps. :thanks:

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:52 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:03 pm
[...] While my own aging eyes see almost no difference in clarity and brightness, the Chromebook appears to show blues as more cyan than the Asus laptop.

Different uncalibrated monitors from different manufacturers (and different ages) will have variations in color temperature.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:56 pm

Duck wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:52 pm
LindaShorey wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:03 pm
[...] While my own aging eyes see almost no difference in clarity and brightness, the Chromebook appears to show blues as more cyan than the Asus laptop.

Different uncalibrated monitors from different manufacturers (and different ages) will have variations in color temperature.
Yeah, and I'm not yet ready to purchase and use a calibration device ;) Thanks for taking a second look at the pics! It is quicker for me to just do a re-size, plus it keeps the exif for people to peek at. So I'll keep on a truckin' in that direction.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:01 pm

I had no idea what Save For Web did. I found this explanation: https://photography.tutsplus.com/tutori ... -cms-23080 The summation:
Saving images for web is a compromise. You want your image to load quickly, not take up too much space (this is particularly a consideration for third party websites like Facebook and Twitter who simply don’t allow large sizes) and still look great. With Save For Web you’re able to fine tune an image for web much more accurately than before, carefully balancing that compromise between compression/size and quality. Get it right, and you’re a step ahead of the game for all those still throwing full size images into their websites, profiles and portfolios and letting the software take best guess.
It's been available in Photoshop and Elements for as long a I can remember but I never used it because I didn't know what it did. Maybe now I'll give it a try. :)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|