The only person you should try to be better than is who you were yesterday. – unknown

Image ProcessingUsing Textures To Enhance Photos - Learn & Share - Post Yours!

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Using Textures To Enhance Photos - Learn & Share - Post Yours!

Post by minniev » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:03 pm

And what else might we do with textured images? One thing I do is make cards of them. Cards, for me, seem to ask for more than a straightforward photograph. So, I create the image in Photoshop, export it as a jpeg, and use it in a word processing document to make personalized notecards. The first one below was taken in a 300 year old barn in Pennsylvania that housed the remains of the family's now-closed apple orchard. With a mix of textures, masking, and blending, I made this one for their Christmas card but they liked it so well I had them a canvas print made. Texture images work well for canvas prints.

The other image (original, shown first, and the screenshot of the current (WIP) version with the PS layers showing is in the works to be used as this year's Thank You note for Christmas gifts. I used Silver Efex to get a more stylized "look" then darkened and toned it with textures to intensify the blues and bring out the streaks of snow. Then I used another texture to create a border of graphic snowflakes. I will probably add another border effect to create a less uniform edge to the image. This is not something I'd print as an image, but by the time I finish with it it'll work for a card.

Here's reminding everyone I'm rather a novice at all this, making no pretense of being anything other than that, but I enjoy learning and sharing, which seems to define our group regardless of level of expertise.
Attachments
barn (1 of 1).jpg
ice (1 of 1)-2.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 8.54.03 AM.png
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:02 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:03 pm
And what else might we do with textured images? One thing I do is make cards of them. Cards, for me, seem to ask for more than a straightforward photograph. So, I create the image in Photoshop, export it as a jpeg, and use it in a word processing document to make personalized notecards. The first one below was taken in a 300 year old barn in Pennsylvania that housed the remains of the family's now-closed apple orchard. With a mix of textures, masking, and blending, I made this one for their Christmas card but they liked it so well I had them a canvas print made. Texture images work well for canvas prints.

The other image (original, shown first, and the screenshot of the current (WIP) version with the PS layers showing is in the works to be used as this year's Thank You note for Christmas gifts. I used Silver Efex to get a more stylized "look" then darkened and toned it with textures to intensify the blues and bring out the streaks of snow. Then I used another texture to create a border of graphic snowflakes. I will probably add another border effect to create a less uniform edge to the image. This is not something I'd print as an image, but by the time I finish with it it'll work for a card.

Here's reminding everyone I'm rather a novice at all this, making no pretense of being anything other than that, but I enjoy learning and sharing, which seems to define our group regardless of level of expertise.
A cleaver idea Minnie, to use and make thank you cards. Excellent !!! Your sampled images are wonderfully done. I need to get out more. Such an inspirations. Thanks !!!
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:40 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:57 pm
No need for extra software. Photoshop is all you need to play with texture. When you’re ready we will hold your hand. The basic steps are in the original post but I can break them down further as needed. I can also put a few textures in Dropbox to get you started. You have an eye for beauty and a basic knowledge of photography. So maybe 2018 should be the year Matt learns a few basics of Photoshop so he can polish his gems further.
Deal! How do I access the Dropbox stuff? I have it but don't know what I should do if you send me the presets, so, as you send any material, please indicate what I should do and I will try to follow instructions.

I am reading "Leonardo Da Vinci" by Walter Isaacson who claims that Leonardo invented 'sfumato,' which "...derives from the Italian word for 'smoke,' or more precisely the dissipation and gradual vanishing of smoke into the air." In his journals, Da Vinci wrote: "Your shadows and lights should be blended without lines or borders in the manner of smoke losing itself in the air." You probably know all this, but it helped me focus a personal goal. I want to learn how to do that with my bw photos. A photographer once advised me to learn the gradient tool in LR and to make more subtle gradations if I want my bw photos to look more realistic and noteworthy.

So, for 2018, my pM goals are to begin my journey through PS and to become more adept with the gradient tools. As the first step, I will, today, write this down at the top of a new page in my workbook.

Thanks again.

Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:02 pm

More wonderful examples from you, Minnie!

This one was a way to cover up, so to speak, a featureless gray sky :)
Attachments
0 img_0272_1.jpg
0 img_0272_1.jpg (406.67 KiB) Viewed 570 times
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:08 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:40 pm
minniev wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:57 pm
No need for extra software. Photoshop is all you need to play with texture. When you’re ready we will hold your hand. The basic steps are in the original post but I can break them down further as needed. I can also put a few textures in Dropbox to get you started. You have an eye for beauty and a basic knowledge of photography. So maybe 2018 should be the year Matt learns a few basics of Photoshop so he can polish his gems further.
Deal! How do I access the Dropbox stuff? I have it but don't know what I should do if you send me the presets, so, as you send any material, please indicate what I should do and I will try to follow instructions.

I am reading "Leonardo Da Vinci" by Walter Isaacson who claims that Leonardo invented 'sfumato,' which "...derives from the Italian word for 'smoke,' or more precisely the dissipation and gradual vanishing of smoke into the air." In his journals, Da Vinci wrote: "Your shadows and lights should be blended without lines or borders in the manner of smoke losing itself in the air." You probably know all this, but it helped me focus a personal goal. I want to learn how to do that with my bw photos. A photographer once advised me to learn the gradient tool in LR and to make more subtle gradations if I want my bw photos to look more realistic and noteworthy.

So, for 2018, my pM goals are to begin my journey through PS and to become more adept with the gradient tools. As the first step, I will, today, write this down at the top of a new page in my workbook.

Thanks again.

Matt
I sent you a link to a dropbox folder with a selection of texture files in it. The info in the first post of this thread ought to get you started but ask if you get stuck (sometimes I get stuck with instructions that don't make sense to me).I agree with your friend about using grad filters (both of them, but the radial is my favorite) to edit in LR without leaving much "evidence".

Yell when you get flummoxed! And good for you, for setting goals for the new year.

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:09 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:02 pm

Thanks Linda. You make a good point about using textures to compensate for weaknesses in natural lighting. One of many uses!

I like this painterly-looking set of birds.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:14 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:09 pm
LindaShorey wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:02 pm

Thanks Linda. You make a good point about using textures to compensate for weaknesses in natural lighting. One of many uses!

I like this painterly-looking set of birds.
Minnie, I successfully downloaded your presets into my dropbox. Thanks. ONward. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:00 pm

Yay! Success at last!

Word of warning though: they’re not presets. They are image files mostly in png format. They are to be overlaid on a photoshop image as a layer and worked with to get effects. They won’t give you a finished image, unlike a preset. Instead they will make you crazy until you get your mind wrapped around the use of layers, masks and blend modes.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:13 pm

fog scattered birds
adding dark, light, or color
wise bearded Gandalf

enchanted red hair
but is she witch or angel?
with her seeing eyes

glowing wood baskets
and the freezing brittle trees
sun splashed miracles

it was boring plain
now texture runs through our lives
bringing life and soul

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:21 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:13 pm
fog scattered birds
adding dark, light, or color
wise bearded Gandalf

enchanted red hair
but is she witch or angel?
with her seeing eyes

glowing wood baskets
and the freezing brittle trees
sun splashed miracles

it was boring plain
now texture runs through our lives
bringing life and soul
Oh we have missed you Piet! Thank you for this wonderful New Years treat and don’t stay away so long! We need our poet laureate.