"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas Alva Edison

Image ProcessingUsing Textures To Enhance Photos - Learn & Share - Post Yours!

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Using Textures To Enhance Photos - Learn & Share - Post Yours!

Post by minniev » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:41 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:00 am
Matt - that last one is post-card ready!

I wanted to play also... with the idea that the definition of texture can be pretty loose, I took many sunset shots and blended them together, and then figured out how to get a selection of a recent dove shot I got - got sick of the ultra saturation from the sunset and got rid of colors and ended up with

Days End. A fun exercise, but one that wore me out. (it was good to let go and to not give a hoot!)

daysEndS.jpg
Another instance of making your own texture out of skies. Very nice and moody with a contemplative bird whose expression matches the mood. Creativity is a beautiful release.

Linda has done some very nice images with repurposed skies used as textures, too.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:24 pm

So many variety themes to view and enjoy !!! Working with textured layers can be fun and exciting. Changing the appearance of an image sometimes creates an obstacle for me, as to when "do I stop"? Piet, I can relate so well, " A fun exercise, but one that wore me out. (it was good to let go and to not give a hoot"!) Seems every time I start processing an image and have a general idea of my direction but before the process is finished, so has my original ideas. Either way, it's a learning process.

I'm posting an image taken August 2016. I just finished the edit with intentions to posting elsewhere, but this topic/thread came to surface. So here I am, once again with 'Kentucky Headhunter'.
Dave
Attachments
Ky Headhunter DEC_5811w B&W.jpg
'Kentucky Headhunter'

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:46 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:00 am
Matt - that last one is post-card ready!

I wanted to play also... with the idea that the definition of texture can be pretty loose, I took many sunset shots and blended them together, and then figured out how to get a selection of a recent dove shot I got - got sick of the ultra saturation from the sunset and got rid of colors and ended up with

Days End. A fun exercise, but one that wore me out. (it was good to let go and to not give a hoot!)

daysEndS.jpg
Thanks, Piet.

"Hoot!" Hah!

Cool image, Piet. You didn't know you were being watched, did you.

Our granddaughter (8 years old) is reading Wrinkle in Time with her mother, who has a PhD in Inorganic Chemistry from Dartmouth. So, I started it. Lovely stuff. Spooky how things repeat. Like doves peeking in the window of your screen, wondering whether you hear the message. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:49 pm

davechinn wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:24 pm
So many variety themes to view and enjoy !!! Working with textured layers can be fun and exciting. Changing the appearance of an image sometimes creates an obstacle for me, as to when "do I stop"? Piet, I can relate so well, " A fun exercise, but one that wore me out. (it was good to let go and to not give a hoot"!) Seems every time I start processing an image and have a general idea of my direction but before the process is finished, so has my original ideas. Either way, it's a learning process.

I'm posting an image taken August 2016. I just finished the edit with intentions to posting elsewhere, but this topic/thread came to surface. So here I am, once again with 'Kentucky Headhunter'.
Dave
Excellent use of texture in a layered composition to create a vintage and weathered look that's so appropriate for your subject matter. Well done.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:50 pm

minniev wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:37 pm
Matt Quinn wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:20 pm
Minnie,

Here are early efforts with The Blacksmith's Shop; the original first, then one in Topaz Textures, Peeling Paint with Luminosity, and one in Topaz Textures 1950's print only. Fun stuff.

Matt

photoMentoris-84.jpg

photoMentoris-83.jpg

photoMentoris-82.jpg
I really like the sepia version! Sepia does it’s best work on vintage scenes.
Thanks Minnie. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

PietFrancke
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:47 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:46 pm
.Our granddaughter (8 years old) is reading Wrinkle in Time with her mother, who has a PhD in Inorganic Chemistry from Dartmouth. So, I started it. Lovely stuff. Spooky how things repeat. Like doves peeking in the window of your screen, wondering whether you hear the message. Matt
indeed it is strange, almost even supernatural when we find places and times where a "sign" must be knocking on our doors. Realists will easily explain all this away as a "you noticed it, so now you are more tuned to seeing it - it has Always been Everywhere".

I am convinced that there are three kinds of people that exist when something like this goes Bump in the night. We have the Realist who will say "the dog did it". Or we have the dreamer who says "Casper came back". Or we have someone like myself - the coward - who doesn't say anything, but quietly pulls the covers over his head!

PietFrancke
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:51 am

davechinn wrote:

Dave
Kentucky Headhunter and your old-time texture work is Awesome! We will visit our favorite images again and again, and they will come out differently each time, it is like having a Time Machine.

pop511
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Post by pop511 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:22 pm

Matt; like anything else. It depends on what you seek and your level of expertise.
P/Shop;
Arunz/ blue lightning/ PSDbox/ rafyA
In photog tuts the list is even longer, but from it all where at the beginning it was somewhat confusing. It has helped me to find my own style that I would like to pursue.
Have fun;
ed
ed davis

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:55 pm

minniev wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:49 pm
davechinn wrote:

Dave
Excellent use of texture in a layered composition to create a vintage and weathered look that's so appropriate for your subject matter. Well done.

Thanks Minnie. I have a few more shots of him that I should consider some sort of edit/post processing, because he is an interesting character. One that I will have a conversation with when our paths cross again.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:05 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:51 am
davechinn wrote:

Dave
Kentucky Headhunter and your old-time texture work is Awesome! We will visit our favorite images again and again, and they will come out differently each time, it is like having a Time Machine.

Thank you Piet. I find it to be strange and frustrating when I make an attempt to duplicate a favorite, or any image, and it does come out differently, as you say, "each time", never fails. Although, I have learned to accept the consequences.
Dave