“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” —Vince Lombardi

Forum software has been updated to latest version. Please report any issues you may encounter. - Thanks

Image ProcessingUsing Textures To Enhance Photos - Learn & Share - Post Yours!

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Using Textures To Enhance Photos - Learn & Share - Post Yours!

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:33 pm

minniev wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:00 pm
Yay! Success at last!

Word of warning though: they’re not presets. They are image files mostly in png format. They are to be overlaid on a photoshop image as a layer and worked with to get effects. They won’t give you a finished image, unlike a preset. Instead they will make you crazy until you get your mind wrapped around the use of layers, masks and blend modes.
Thanks, Minnie. As if I'm not crazy enough as it is. We'll see what we see. Thanks again. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:19 pm

Using textures to alter light.

There are better examples of this, and of course other ways of doing it, but I did want to show another aspect of using textures that we haven't talked much about, the alteration of light.

This is one of many boring shots of dam birds that keep taking up space on my external drive, but for some reason I keep them anyway.

There was a very minimal shaft of light that was coming through one of the grates and striking the bird, so I exposed for the rimlight and let everything else stay underexposed. The bird wasn't doing anything and there wasn't any other light or even water behind him for interest so he just is what he is, a white bird standing on one foot.

In an effort to make him slightly more interesting for the purpose of this thread, I added some glow type effect in Photoshop, warmed things a bit with a gold texture, and found a second texture that had a light shaft in it. I temporarily brought up the exposure a LOT in the original so I could better see where the actual light was falling and could position the layer with the beam over it, and drag it to that shape and size. Then I let put the original back like I had it and fooled with blending modes and opacities and dodge/burn till I got it to this point. Then I cropped it.

It didn't turn it into a grand photo, but I think it can give you an idea of how textures can be applied to serve this purpose.
Attachments
bird (2 of 2).jpg
bird (1 of 2).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:26 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:19 pm
Using textures to alter light.

There are better examples of this, and of course other ways of doing it, but I did want to show another aspect of using textures that we haven't talked much about, the alteration of light...
Fantastic example, Minnie. Thank you!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:36 pm

This mornings photoshop play.

I used two textured here, wiping away with the history brush where I didn't want the texture. I then highlighted her hair using the dodge tool.
Attachments
IMG_6244 Antique.jpg
Today is the Day, a New Day.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:43 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:36 pm

I used two textured here, wiping away with the history brush where I didn't want the texture. I then highlighted her hair using the dodge tool.
This is engaging on so many levels!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:23 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:36 pm

Another great example of using textures in portraits, something I really like (even though I'm terrible at portraiture).
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones